The Student Room Group

Switching courses with another person?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I've got an unconditional offer at a university for one humanities course, but I've decided that I really want to switch to another humanities course. I rang the university, who told me that the course was full and so over-subscribed that it's improbable that any places will open up in the first year. I know the course I currently have a place on is full as well, and I had an idea. I'm pretty sure at least one person, if not many people, want to switch from my desired course to the one I'm currently on, but at the moment no one can move from one to the other because both are full; could it be possible to arrange a switch between me and another person who wants to make the opposite course transfer? Could it not be an efficient way of the departments keeping exactly the same number of people on their courses, but getting rid of those who no longer want to study the subject and replacing them with enthusiastic people?

I rang the admissions officer of the course I'm on to ask about it, but she was so unhelpful and impatient, and didn't even seem to understand properly what I was asking her, just bluntly repeating "the course is full" and "the two departments are completely separate" without actually considering what I was saying. I'm feeling pretty helpless, and I'd just like to know what's wrong with my idea? Why keep people on courses they don't want to do if a switch between a set number of people can be made? If I can find someone when I get there who wants to make the opposite switch, and go with them to both admissions officers, might they actually switch us around???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They wont do it cause as with most things in life they can't be bothered to give up the time to do it. It would work i guess, but things would have to be done and the admissions officers can't be bothered. I would persist and eventually they might do something, especially if you find someone else who wants to make the switch.
Reply 2
Yeah, I guess the woman I spoke to was just too busy/ couldn't be bothered to hear me out properly and go through the trouble of organising what I was suggesting. It's difficult to suggest complicated things to people you don't know over the phone, but hopefully when I can speak to someone face to face and be persistent, they will have to listen to me and give me a real explanation. Can anyone see a reason why it couldn't be done??
Reply 3
Anyone, please? I could really do with some advice or feedback.
Eggplant
Anyone, please? I could really do with some advice or feedback.

No you cannot do this.

If someone were to relinquish their place on the course you desire it is entirely probable that they would have candidates that they would want to accommodate over your good self.
Reply 5
They'll probably be more likely to take you seriously if you actually find someone who wants to switch. Maybe you could try looking in facebook groups for incoming freshers or something? Even then the departments might not agree, but at least the request will be more realistic.

Have you thought about clearing or a gap year or would you rather stick with your current offer if you can't switch?
I bet when you get there suddenly you'd be able to change course. Most uni's before the date say course is full and you can't change. Few weeks into uni you hear of many people changing. When you actually get into the uni changing courses is far easier.
Reply 7
Meliae
They'll probably be more likely to take you seriously if you actually find someone who wants to switch. Maybe you could try looking in facebook groups for incoming freshers or something? Even then the departments might not agree, but at least the request will be more realistic.

Have you thought about clearing or a gap year or would you rather stick with your current offer if you can't switch?

Thanks. I haven't had much luck with finding someone so far, but hopefully it'll be easier when I'm there and can actually meet people. I just can't think why they wouldn't consider two people who wanted to study each other's courses.

I'm on a gap year and really don't want to take another one, and it's unlikely anywhere good will be in clearing, because courses like this fill up so quickly. I'm still interested in the course I have a place on, it's just that I've suddenly become really passionate about the other course, and I've realised I would much rather read about that subject, listen to those lectures and do those essays etc.
Reply 8
Remember that courses are, by nature, oversubscribed due to some people failing their A-levels. Chances are if they end up with less people than they wanted they'll take some borderline cases over yours.
Reply 9
Mrm.
No you cannot do this.

If someone were to relinquish their place on the course you desire it is entirely probable that they would have candidates that they would want to accommodate over your good self.

Yeah, they do have other people on the waiting list to transfer, but I'm sure there's also a number of people who want to transfer to the course I'm on at the moment. If someone were to relinquish their place by leaving the uni or something, then of course they would let someone else on before me, but what I'm suggesting is, if there are 10 people who want to go from course A to course B, and 15 people who want to go from B to A, then surely they would consider switching 10 people from each course, providing they meet the conditions of the new courses. I know there will be people from completely different subjects trying to transfer onto that course too, but what I'm saying is the department would only be able to take those people on if enough people want to switch the opposite way, so that they can keep course numbers exactly the same. A switch can only be possible if other people want to do the exact same thing but the other way round.

So surely they would allow me to transfer onto the course if I have someone to switch places with, over someone who does not have a candidate wanting to take their place, as that candidate would increase the numbers on an already full course, whereas I would not...?
Eggplant
Yeah, they do have other people on the waiting list to transfer, but I'm sure there's also a number of people who want to transfer to the course I'm on at the moment. If someone were to relinquish their place by leaving the uni or something, then of course they would let someone else on before me, but what I'm suggesting is, if there are 10 people who want to go from course A to course B, and 15 people who want to go from B to A, then surely they would consider switching 10 people from each course, providing they meet the conditions of the new courses. I know there will be people from completely different subjects trying to transfer onto that course too, but what I'm saying is the department would only be able to take those people on if enough people want to switch the opposite way, so that they can keep course numbers exactly the same. A switch can only be possible if other people want to do the exact same thing but the other way round.

So surely they would allow me to transfer onto the course if I have someone to switch places with, over someone who does not have a candidate wanting to take their place, as that candidate would increase the numbers on an already full course, whereas I would not...?

No.

that is not the way it works.
you are falsely assuming that an offer is some form of object that can be traded tit for tat.
Reply 11
Mrm.
No.

that is not the way it works.
you are falsely assuming that an offer is some form of object that can be traded tit for tat.

No, I'm assuming that a course has a certain number of places. They are not denying me because they don't want me on the course, but because all the places are taken. I'm assuming that if some people leave the course, a certain number of places will be freed up, and they might consider allowing other people to take those places. I'm not saying they'll just blindly exchange me with one of their candidates; I just wondered if the other department might consider me, and my department might consider the other person, if I found someone from the course I want to do who wanted to do my course.
Eggplant
No, I'm assuming that a course has a certain number of places. They are not denying me because they don't want me on the course, but because all the places are taken. I'm assuming that if some people leave the course, a certain number of places will be freed up, and they might consider allowing other people to take those places. I'm not saying they'll just blindly exchange me with one of their candidates; I just wondered if the other department might consider me, and my department might consider the other person, if I found someone from the course I want to do who wanted to do my course.

ask them then.
Reply 13
Mrm.
ask them then.

Hehe, I have, but the woman I spoke to really wasn't in the mood for listening/understanding/helping, or any other useful activites for that matter. Guess I'll just have to wait and see, but thank you for taking the time to challenge my idea; I won't get my hopes up too high.
Reply 14
OMG I'm having the same problem :frown: I have accepted a conditional offer ( low offer ) for accounting and now I want to change my course to something completely different! I phoned up UCAS earlier and they were really helpful. You should phone them for advice but make sure to have good reasons why you want to change course.
They told me that if I declined my offers by 6th July I could apply through Extra, and I should phone the uni's up to ask about the course I now want to apply.
However when I phoned the uni the lady was the same as yours (very impatient, and as if she couldnt care less) and told me there were no spaces.
I wouldn't risk turning down my offers incase I end up with nothing! But apparently its pretty easy to swap courses once your in Uni.

Does anyone know how you would go about changing courses once your in uni and the courses have begun?

Also, are you guaranteed a space in the desired course if you have a good enough reason to drop out of your original course? (By this I mean what if the class is full, is there a slight chance that they would let you in or isit a no can do? )

P.s its a Scottish Uni, so fee's are not an issue
Reply 15
Lifey
OMG I'm having the same problem :frown: I have accepted a conditional offer ( low offer ) for accounting and now I want to change my course to something completely different! I phoned up UCAS earlier and they were really helpful. You should phone them for advice but make sure to have good reasons why you want to change course.
They told me that if I declined my offers by 6th July I could apply through Extra, and I should phone the uni's up to ask about the course I now want to apply.
However when I phoned the uni the lady was the same as yours (very impatient, and as if she couldnt care less) and told me there were no spaces.
I wouldn't risk turning down my offers incase I end up with nothing! But apparently its pretty easy to swap courses once your in Uni.

Does anyone know how you would go about changing courses once your in uni and the courses have begun?

Also, are you guaranteed a space in the desired course if you have a good enough reason to drop out of your original course? (By this I mean what if the class is full, is there a slight chance that they would let you in or isit a no can do? )

P.s its a Scottish Uni, so fee's are not an issue

I'm sorry, I know it feels crap. :frown: I've been told by my uni that I am not entitled to a place on the course I want to do, and whether I am able to transfer or not entirely depends on available spaces. I was wondering too about whether they absolutely can't let you in if the course is full, or whether they might be able to make allowances for really strong cases, and I think it just depends on the university and the course, and availability of resources, such as room in lectures, equipment etc. Some might stand their ground and consistently refuse you, and some might be a little more susceptible to persuasion (I'm hoping!).

I've already accepted my offer and, like you, I wouldn't want to decline it and have nothing at all. I'm pretty sure the course I want to do won't be in extra because it's so full, so it would be pointless trying to get a place that way, and unfortunately I don't think UCAS would be able to give me any advice I haven't already tried. Perhaps you should give my idea a go :p:, and try and find someone who wants to make the opposite switch to you, go to both departments with them and ask if it might be possible for you to be considered for each other's courses. I've decided that giving it a bloody good go and perhaps making a fool of myself is better than not trying at all and regretting it forever. The annoying thing is that if I'd had this change of heart a few months ago, I'm sure I would have got onto the course because the grade requirements are quite a bit lower!

Good luck, and I hope you're able to do the course you want. :smile:
Reply 16
Yeah, I will try my best to fight my case if I have to. Finding someone to switch courses with me will be difficult though. I don't know anyone on that course (yet) and I will be shocked if I find someone who would rather study Accounting over Fashion Marketing :O loll.
I feel the exact same as you at the moment, if I had finally realised what I am good at and would really enjoy studying I would have gotten into the course last year if I wanted to ( with the results I obtained )!! :frown: And to think now I want to apply with the grades I have that are way over the requirements and I probably wont get in anyway :eek: guttedd ahaha. But its not the end of the world and I should be grateful for being accepted into uni when there are others who were unfortunate :wink:

But once I'm in the uni I won't leave the tutors alone until I get into the course :yes: hehe

Thank you so much for the advice and all the best to ya :biggrin:
Reply 17
I really doubt you could do this. You just can't "trade" offers, it doesn't work like that. At the present moment, the university probably has a third more student with offers than they can accommodate anyway. If someone decided to drop out of the course before results day, the uni will just see this as a bonus, because it's one less "extra" student they might have to take come September. Unis always over-offer and are terrified that they might actually have to take on these extra students, so if one doesn't want to do the course any more, at the moment they aren't going to take another one in their place (especially since it would mean going through the whole application process again: reading personal statements and UCAS forms, interviewing if necessary).

You might have some luck phoning the university after results day, if it turns out an unexpected number of people failed to achieve their offer or chose to go elsewhere. But at the moment, I doubt it.
Reply 18
Lizia
I really doubt you could do this. You just can't "trade" offers, it doesn't work like that. At the present moment, the university probably has a third more student with offers than they can accommodate anyway. If someone decided to drop out of the course before results day, the uni will just see this as a bonus, because it's one less "extra" student they might have to take come September. Unis always over-offer and are terrified that they might actually have to take on these extra students, so if one doesn't want to do the course any more, at the moment they aren't going to take another one in their place (especially since it would mean going through the whole application process again: reading personal statements and UCAS forms, interviewing if necessary).

You might have some luck phoning the university after results day, if it turns out an unexpected number of people failed to achieve their offer or chose to go elsewhere. But at the moment, I doubt it.

I'm not saying I'm expecting to take the place of someone who drops out of uni; I'm wondering whether, once I'm there and have actually found someone from the course who wants to do my course, they might agree to take me on if the only way the other person will leave that course is if I leave my course too. Then, there is no option of having one less on the course, only the same number of people, whether the switch is made or not. I know you can't just trade offers, but surely both courses would rather have a student who is enthusiastic about the course, rather than someone who wants to do something else. The way I see it, if I can actually find someone who wants to make the opposite switch, the departments have nothing to lose, apart from the amount of time it takes to put a signature on a form.
Reply 19
Eggplant
I'm not saying I'm expecting to take the place of someone who drops out of uni; I'm wondering whether, once I'm there and have actually found someone from the course who wants to do my course, they might agree to take me on if the only way the other person will leave that course is if I leave my course too. Then, there is no option of having one less on the course, only the same number of people, whether the switch is made or not. I know you can't just trade offers, but surely both courses would rather have a student who is enthusiastic about the course, rather than someone who wants to do something else. .

But my point is, if someone says they don't want to do the course, the uni will tell them to drop out. It isn't a case of "I don't want to do the course, so I'll swap with him". The options at the moment are "Stay on the course" or "Drop out". And I'm fairly sure those options will remain the same whether you try now or when you're at university. You don't get to decide what the options are, the university holds all the cards! To be honest, if the student is paying the fee, the university doesn't care whether they're enthusiastic or not.

You asked whether it would be possible or not, I'm saying it probably isn't. There's no point debating it, it's not me you have to convince. :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending