The Student Room Group

A-Level History or A-Level Psychology?

Hey, at this moment in time i think that i would want to pursue a career in Law. These are my chosen A-Levels
English Literature
Philosophy
Economics
Psychology

My problem is that, I've heard that Psychology is pretty boring and consists of mainly memorizing case studies. So, i wondered if maybe History would be a better suited to Law and i reckon i could do quite well in it. My question is what is more relevant and more interesting/stimulating History or Psychology? Also, if anybody could tell what History is like,since i did not do at GCSE level

Thanks!,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
History is way better.
Reply 2
I did History and think it was really good - although challenging! My friends who have done Psychology would agree that it is all about remembering tonnes of case studies for the exam!! Your choice though :smile:
Reply 3
Junaid16
Hey, at this moment in time i think that i would want to pursue a career in Law. These are my chosen A-Levels
English Literature
Philosophy
Economics
Psychology

My problem is that, I've heard that Psychology is pretty boring and consists of mainly memorizing case studies. So, i wondered if maybe History would be a better suited to Law and i reckon i could do quite well in it. My question is what is more relevant and more interesting/stimulating History or Psychology? Also, if anybody could tell what History is like,since i did not do at GCSE level

Thanks!,

Are you allowed to study history at A Level if you didn't at GCSE? I don't think we were allowed to...

But I choose both, originally intending to drop Psychology but ended up dropping History.

(Ignore anyone who harps on about Psychology being a less pure A-Level)

I found History very dry, it involved sources and too much remembering boring wars I had no interest in. Psychology I found stimulating and interesting, you have to recall studies - but not specifically by name and many of them are interesting and add to the theory surrounding the topic.

Main advice would be to have a look at the course structures, or ask. Make sure you know what you are studying and decide whether you'd be interested doing a year/two years of that specific time period/aspect of psychology.

As far as the subject is concerned these are FINE for Law. Do what you feel you'd enjoy and what you feel you could get the best grade in.
Junaid16
English Literature
Philosophy
Economics
Psychology

Thanks!,

History, history, historyyyyy.

It's just history. You learn about the History of a particular event such as the unification of Italy, French revolution, Wall street crash etc. It's muchh more interesting than psychology which is all case studies and key terminologies. But then again I guess that depends on your personality.
And as long as you know how to write essays, you'll be fine :smile:
History

/thread
Reply 6
shutt23
I did History and think it was really good - although challenging! My friends who have done Psychology would agree that it is all about remembering tonnes of case studies for the exam!! Your choice though :smile:

Thanks, it's just confusing because it looks so interesting on paper,but in reality it's a different story:smile:.
Reply 7
Junaid16
Thanks, it's just confusing because it looks so interesting on paper,but in reality it's a different story.

It depends what you study and what exam board.

Do some research, seriously. If you end up choosing the wrong subject, where you hate what you're learning... it's awful.
Reply 8
History.
Reply 9
Both are very interesting, it boils down to personal preference. Does your school allow you to sit 5 subjects? Their is nothing wrong with going through both classes and dropping one a month after you start your AS year.
I'd say, looking at your other choices, you'd probably be more suited to history. However, I do psychology and I have to say, it's extremely interesting. Despite what people say, it's not a doss subject, so if I were you I'd take psych. :smile:
Reply 11
draikzer
Are you allowed to study history at A Level if you didn't at GCSE? I don't think we were allowed to...

But I choose both, originally intending to drop Psychology but ended up dropping History.

(Ignore anyone who harps on about Psychology being a less pure A-Level)

I found History very dry, it involved sources and too much remembering boring wars I had no interest in. Psychology I found stimulating and interesting, you have to recall studies - but not specifically by name and many of them are interesting and add to the theory surrounding the topic.

Main advice would be to have a look at the course structures, or ask. Make sure you know what you are studying and decide whether you'd be interested doing a year/two years of that specific time period/aspect of psychology.

As far as the subject is concerned these are FINE for Law. Do what you feel you'd enjoy and what you feel you could get the best grade in.

Thanks, Yeah providing that you get an A/A* in English Lit/Lang.
I've been misled then lol,because i have been told that History is kind of essential for Law.
After looking at the Psychology syllabus, i was really intrigued. Stuff like 'Would we obey if we were told to kill' seems really interesting. But, tbh with History i'm not really excited by it. It should be an easy decision,but i don't know why it's not.
Reply 12
History any day.
Reply 13
History is more respected, whatever anyone says. But to be honest, you'd be better just taking the one you want to do. By the sounds of it, that's history.

Oh, and my friends who take psych and history have been complaining about the rote memorisation in psych but have found history interesting. Just anecdotes, of course.
Reply 14
Junaid16
I've been misled then lol,because i have been told that History is kind of essential for Law.
After looking at the Psychology syllabus, i was really intrigued. Stuff like 'Would we obey if we were told to kill' seems really interesting. But, tbh with History i'm not really excited by it. It should be an easy decision,but i don't know why it's not.

Nope! Good strong subjects are essential.

You have those subjects already, in English, Philosophy and Economics.

If you are not interested in History, don't do it. I wasnt interested in the course. So did worse than I could have. These people saying History is an easy choice... yeah maybe it's more suited to law. But I'd rather have an applicant with an A in psych than a B/C in History.

Maybe try both? Drop one after a month like another poster said? Or just choose psych. You can still drop it after AS and have 3 Strong A-Levels.
Reply 15
THEJACKLE
Both are very interesting, it boils down to personal preference. Does your school allow you to sit 5 subjects? Their is nothing wrong with going through both classes and dropping one a month after you start your AS year.

Lol, i really doubt that i would be able to handle it tbh :frown: The college says you need 9A/A* to pick up 5 AS's and i doubt i will get more than 5/6
Reply 16
Have you looked through any past papers for the subjects or asked one of your teachers to show you a textbook/ talk through some of the syllabus? On that note, have you considered the staff who will be teaching you? A good humorous teacher who you get along with makes all the difference, especially at A level with smaller class sizes and more personal contact time.
Reply 17
draikzer
Nope! Good strong subjects are essential.

You have those subjects already, in English, Philosophy and Economics.

If you are not interested in History, don't do it. I wasnt interested in the course. So did worse than I could have. These people saying History is an easy choice... yeah maybe it's more suited to law. But I'd rather have an applicant with an A in psych than a B/C in History.

Maybe try both? Drop one after a month like another poster said? Or just choose psych. You can still drop it after AS and have 3 Strong A-Levels.

Thanks, this has really helped. Either i will try both for a short while, or i will stick with Psych!
Reply 18
Junaid16

Do history much more respected. i do physcology biggests waste of time seriously all memorising you actually dont learn anything useful

and the bit bout " WOULD WE OBEY IF WE WERE TOLD TO KILL" is rubbish it a study about how high people giv electric shocks ..u dnt need to study physcology to learn about it type "milgim" into google:p:
History :smile:

Latest