The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unless you have a feeling you might want to do anything like Medicine or Maths at university (for Medicine take Biology ahead of History or Philosophy and Ethics and for Maths take Further Maths instead of History or Philosophy and Ethics) than your subjects are fine. :smile:
moleman3
I'm picking my a levels for next year. I've just finished my GCSEs and am predicted mostly A/A*s. I seem to do best in science/mathsish subjects but also really enjoy history and that kind of thing. I've picked my a levels based on what i enjoy and what i think will help me keep my options open for the future. I have chosen:

Maths
History
Philosophy and Ethics
Chemistry

Is this split between sciencey and essay subjects going to disadvantage me? Does this still keep my options open? Thanks :smile:

Well, maths and chemistry are a popular combination
Philosophy and maths is very popular
History and philosophy work well!!!
Of the 8 people who take philosophy with me, 2 take maths and 3 take chem
I am the only person who does philosophy and history but of the 5 historians, 1 takes maths and 2 take chem...
So why not?!? :biggrin:
Reply 22
Why yes, yes you have. :yes:
Reply 23
i think it's good to have a variety - shows you to be well-rounded :smile: as long as you don't want to go in for some crazy sciencey degree i think you'll be fine :smile:
If they're what you enjoy then they are absolutely fine. You have a mix of science and non-science, plus if you pick subjects that you enjoy you'll be motivated to revise more, do extra reading around them, etc. If you pick subjects you don't enjoy on the premise that you MIGHT need them for a specific course at uni, ask yourself, if you didn't enjoy the subject at a-level are you going to want to do a course which involves a lot of said subject?
moleman3
I'm picking my a levels for next year. I've just finished my GCSEs and am predicted mostly A/A*s. I seem to do best in science/mathsish subjects but also really enjoy history and that kind of thing. I've picked my a levels based on what i enjoy and what i think will help me keep my options open for the future. I have chosen:

Maths
History
Philosophy and Ethics
Chemistry

Is this split between sciencey and essay subjects going to disadvantage me? Does this still keep my options open? Thanks :smile:

Your indecision is likely to disadvantage you (or eliminate the choice entirely) for such well regarded subjects as chemistry, physics, engineering, maths, English, bio sciences, economics, classics, modern foreign languages and all the medical sciences. That is a large proportion of the more sensible degree subjects. You'll be fine for law and history though. I would advise you to try and consider more closely what you want to study at university before leaping into these choices.
they arent random at all but if you want to keep your options really open i suggest taking english lit instead of history or philosophy :smile: but they are all good choices
Reply 27
If you're considering science, then I would recommend switching Philosophy & Ethics for either Biology or Physics, to be honest.
Reply 28
Well I did Music, Geography, Psychology and English Lit for AS, and then dropped English and I got five uni offers this year, so I don't think it's too much of a problem:biggrin:
Yeah mine don't fit together either (English Language, Geography, Economics) because I wanted the breadth to be able to decide later exactly what I wanted to do! I managed to do that by picking up an Extended Project this year and tailoring it to the course I've decided to do at university (Linguistics). I just knew I didn't want anything to do with science, but I wasn't sure exactly what. I like it when people have a weird mix, because some combinations are just SO overdone (obviously some people have to do them because of competitive courses looking for specific subjects etc.), but if you don't know what you want to do I think it's good to split between types of subject, if only so you find out what you're REALLY interested in and give yourself some variety!

Latest