The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

dsch
Go to university and find out how easy it is to get busted out with a smile on your face and a 2:1 and then say that. You're probably pretty smart so please don't aim for a desmond, or console yourself if you get one.

No, I know what I'm aiming for, but some people work hard for a 2:2 - some things don't come as easily to some people as it does for others. A degree is a huge investment of your money and time and I'm sure the OP actually worked in order for them to feel disappointed (otherwise they should have known the consequences) so if a 2:2 shows their achievement, just because it isn't as high as some other peoples' degree it doesn't make it worthless and they should be proud.
Reply 41
Nothing wrong with a desmond

Just because I :lol: everytime someone refers to it as such :biggrin:
moomin_love
I think that you should see it as a celebration of the end of 3 years hard work! So what if you didn't get the grade you wanted? A 2:2 is better than a third and it shows that you have actually done some work over the last 3 years! Just go, get drunk, see your friends and celebrate that you're now moving onto the next part of your life!

LOL. You know there's a reason it's called the sportsman's degree? Unless you played sport for your country and had no time to study due to that commitment there's no excuse for a 2.2.

OP should be more worried about landing any sort of graduate job with that.
Age_of_Innocence
They'll read it out and everyone will titter and snigger at you and you'll trip over your gown and then everyone will burst out laughing and you'll get thrown out for being a failure

:rofl:
Nah, I wouldn't.
Reply 45
Yes, I would go just to say bye to all my friends and that...
(The most important thing to me though would be the food lol).
If you want go. If you don't then don't. *simples*
I haven't got my results yet (probs getting a 2.2 though) and I can't have a graduation ceremony until 2012 anyway, but I'm def booking one and going along to mine :yep:
drinkers' degree.
:beer:
:lazy:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
I haven't got my results yet (probs getting a 2.2 though) and I can't have a graduation ceremony until 2012 anyway, but I'm def booking one and going along to mine
look at the uni you go to though, tbh
First or third, you are still graduating from a degree! I got a 2:2 worked my ass off for it, and the amount of people in industry i've had come up to me saying degree classifications don't mean anything anymore, even the Dean of the school said that to me :eek3: It's all about the work in your portfolio that lands you the job at the end of the day (well it is for creative subjects anyway). So i'm not wasting 3 years of blood sweat and tears to not graduate at the end of it, I want to wear my gown and swoon everywhere :P
Matthew12
yeah but it still feels like getting D in you're GCSE'S

As someone said earlier, are you for real? :eek3:

A 2:2 is a decent result (I'm saying this as someone who got a 2:1) and is the equviilant of a C at GCSE / A-Level -

1st - A* / A

2:1 - B

2:2 - C

3rd - D

Why do so many people think a third is a total disaster? :confused: Yes, a third is but not a 2:2.
Go!

Enjoy the day, its abit of an anti-climax if I'm honest but nonetheless you should go. You obviously care otherwise you wouldn't be posting/thinking about it.

I'm finishing up my MSc at the moment and alot of people wont be at graduation in Dec since its expensive for most students to fly back just for a day so thats fair enough. But you've spent 3-4 years hacking this degree, go enjoy the finale!
Reply 53
It's not the best result, but the real failure would be if you were to call it quits. Pick yourself up and go get that degree.
Reply 54
jermaindefoe
look at the uni you go to though, tbh

Just as easy to get a desmond at oxford as it is at oxford brookes. That's the theory, and it's definitely true to an extent - most at oxford will get >2:1, most at brookes won't..
Reply 55
You'll regret it if you don't.
I understand the sentiment of the OP. I got a 2:2 for my law degree and felt like ****. Especially, since I worked hard and got a bad result which dragged my grade down to a 2:2.

I was considering appealing and nearly decided not to go. All my friends are on facebook celebrating firsts and 2.1's and I couldn't stand it.

Then I read this thread and realised how much I had overcome. I never partied hard but I wasn't fully commited to my course because I hated it. However, I didn't give up and went back ever year. I did two placements which gave me a lesson in real life and some work experience. I met a number of great people. I discovered my passion for music. I developed my skills and I am more decisive about my future. I voluntered for Ealing council, I did Race for life. I produce music for a number of people and have built a strong online presence doing what I love. I even saved enough money and can now travel. I also learnt a valuble life lesson. That its ok to quit something if it isn't working out for you, but you should pick yourself up as quickly as possible.

That's what my 2:2 means to me. Any employer who rejects me despite having a good solid academic background can piss off. That would motivate me more to start my own company with the money I have saved.

Any employer who looks at my 2:2 and my other skills will gain my respect and would be a person I would love to work for.

I think employers need to change the way they recruit people. Someone who earns a 2:1 in golf studies is not neccesarily more intelligent then someone who earns a 2:2 in law (like me).

I got a 2:2 and I'm going.
Reply 57
Matthew12
I was just wondering since i got a dreadful 2:2 is it worth going to the graduation ceremony and frocking myself just to be handed over with a diploma that says 2:2? Just thinking it seems a bit of a facade what do you lot think about the situation?

*charade
Reply 58
Graduation ceremony = loads of hours hanging about bored ********, but on the upside, it also = free champagne after. Thats what I'd be weighing up in my decision to go to my graduation or not (not the quality of my degree)
Reply 59
darigan
Graduation ceremony = loads of hours hanging about bored ********, but on the upside, it also = free champagne after. Thats what I'd be weighing up in my decision to go to my graduation or not (not the quality of my degree)

free champagne ? right I'm definitely going now.

Latest

Trending

Trending