The Student Room Group

Maths Vs Economics :\

Rightt, here is the situation:

I enjoy economics however hate maths. I want to do an Economics related degree at University possibly combined with Politics.

GCSE:
A*: PE, Additional Science, RE.
A : English Lang, English Lit, History, Geography, Core Science, Maths.
B : Spanish.

A Level: (Predictions)
Economics (A)
Gov & Politics (B)
History (B/C)
Biology [AS] (D)
General Studies (A/B)
AQA Baccalaureate

Does anyone know of a course which has minimal or no mathematical content which would be suitable for me? and realistic for me to get an offer with the above grades?

Thanks,

JL.
If you want minimal/no maths your better of doing Business Economics.
Reply 2
yoyo462001
If you want minimal/no maths your better of doing Business Economics.

I was at the Leeds Open day today and Business Economics there is a BSc. and you still have to complete the main maths module in year one. What kinds of maths will this be? Will it be considerably harder than A Level maths or is it non - comparable?

excuse my lack of knowlege...
Reply 3
I think PPE or EPAIS has little math, but w/o math no good level of econ can be reached...
From what I've seen you will need some AS maths at least to do a Economics course. Well it will help (so would A2 Maths). Course content will involve differentiation and matrices at least
Reply 5
If you don't like Maths, don't even touch Economics particularly a BSc.
Reply 6
If you want to avoid mathematics, then go for something combing Economics with Politics or Philosophy (or both). Also look at Business Economics.

In regards to the course at Leeds, they have only this year changed their course titles to BSc, but nonetheless, the courses there are mathematically weak, so I honestly wouldn't worry.
I J Lee
I was at the Leeds Open day today and Business Economics there is a BSc. and you still have to complete the main maths module in year one. What kinds of maths will this be? Will it be considerably harder than A Level maths or is it non - comparable?

excuse my lack of knowlege...

MagicNMedicine

From what I can see there is only 1 compulsory maths module for the entire course which covers mostly A level and a bit of further Maths. I'll quote an ex Leeds economics student to give you more help
Reply 8
thanks...

i'm just really unsure atm about what to do, especially with the whole maths situation.

Is the maths in the basic compulsory module (eg. mathematics & statistics for business and economics 1) really difficult?

also does anyone have any specific recomendations for which unis it would be advisable to apply for with the above grades?

Latest

Trending

Trending