The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Terrified I won't get a place..... (St. Andrews: some questions)

Out of all the unis I have looked at, St. Andrews is the one I like most. I have visited several times (I have family living near there so I know the area) and thoroughly researched it, and I honestly don't want to go to uni anywhere else, so much so that I have decided that if I don't get the required grades for English Literature at St. Andrews (AAB) I will resit my exams and try again ("if at first you don't succeed, try, try again" is one of my favourite quotations!). I haven't got my AS Level grades yet though - I'm counting down the days until 19th August. :eek3:

I am really determined that I want to go there - it just feels like the place for me and I can already 'see' myself living there. It's a great place and I will be really upset if I don't get in.

One thing I was wondering about is whether they place a strong emphasis on grades, e.g. if I didn't make the grades (for example if I got ABB or ABC) would I still have a chance of being offered a place? My sister didn't get the required grades for her course at Keele uni but she still got a place. However, I think there is more competition for places at St. Andrews as it is a very highly respected university. I have real passion for my subject, (I recently completed an Oxford university online accredited 10 CAT point course about Jane Austen and am hoping to do another Oxford uni online literature course, so they are good things to write about on my personal statement) and to study Literature at St. Andrews would be a dream come true.

Also, does anyone know where I can find acceptance rates/statistics for St. Andrews? I have searched online but there seems to be nothing.
Reply 1
Bella_Cullen
Out of all the unis I have looked at, St. Andrews is the one I like most. I have visited several times (I have family living near there so I know the area) and thoroughly researched it, and I honestly don't want to go to uni anywhere else, so much so that I have decided that if I don't get the required grades for English Literature at St. Andrews (AAB) I will resit my exams and try again ("if at first you don't succeed, try, try again" is one of my favourite quotations!). I haven't got my AS Level grades yet though - I'm counting down the days until 19th August. :eek3:

I am really determined that I want to go there - it just feels like the place for me and I can already 'see' myself living there. It's a great place and I will be really upset if I don't get in.

One thing I was wondering about is whether they place a strong emphasis on grades, e.g. if I didn't make the grades (for example if I got ABB or ABC) would I still have a chance of being offered a place? My sister didn't get the required grades for her course at Keele uni but she still got a place. However, I think there is more competition for places at St. Andrews as it is a very highly respected university. I have real passion for my subject, (I recently completed an Oxford university online accredited 10 CAT point course about Jane Austen and am hoping to do another Oxford uni online literature course, so they are good things to write about on my personal statement) and to study Literature at St. Andrews would be a dream come true.

Also, does anyone know where I can find acceptance rates/statistics for St. Andrews? I have searched online but there seems to be nothing.

they won't compromise on grades, they released a statement to that effect last year.. you sound like you're doing all the right things though so don't panic - you don't even know your grades yet, I'm sure they'll be fine.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I know that St. Andrews is a really oversubscribed university, mainly cos there are only just shy of 7,000 undergraduates twinned with an excellent reputation at home and abroad. So it's all in the personal statement, really, since they don't interview.

I doubt they'd budge on grades as so many people apply for so few places. I remember being told by a French professor on my open day that they had had 13 applications for every OFFER they'd made.

Apparently, (Wikipedia) "The latest UCAS figures show that there are generally 12 applications per undergraduate place available"... so the competition is tight. You just have to make sure you do well.
Reply 3
I was absolutely bricking it when I was waiting for my results as well - St Andrews asked for 3 As for my conditional offer (it was 1 A for French, 1 for English and 1 for German - and I'd only done German for 1 year at that point). They wouldn't budge on this but I managed to get 4 As and a C (the C was an AP American History...eep!) so there was no problem.

The year after though quite a few folk got in having not met their conditions. Not sure what the situation is like now though!
Reply 4
Sorry guys, St Andrews are highly unlikely to budge on grades. Last year they sent an email out just before results day basically saying "if you don't get your grades, don't bother ringing us". Although if you are in the situation where you don't have your grades, ignore that and try your luck.

My advice to you: If you've finished your exams, there's nothing you can do now, therefore very little point in worrying. Just enjoy your summer and don't worry about results until results day comes around :smile:

The reason they're really strict on grades is that the uni has very strict limits on the number of Home/EU students it can take imposed by the government. The uni has to give out more offers than it has places (since not everyone will take up their offer), and take a guess at how many students they'll actually get.
Reply 5
Bucky!

My advice to you: If you've finished your exams, there's nothing you can do now, therefore very little point in worrying. Just enjoy your summer and don't worry about results until results day comes around :smile:

I love you :biggrin:
Reply 6
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Summary%20Report%202009.pdf

Above is a link to the admissions summary report for the last couple of years which shows the number of applicants for each department and then the number of actual entrants, its helpful in terms of giving you the info you wanted but unfortunately probably won't make you feel any better as these figures indeed do show there is a lot of competition for places...
But as others have said, you're doing all the right things, you seem genuinely passionate about your subject and the University, and you're filling your personal statement with good things and StAs love a good PS! So just work hard and try your best! Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Try to get AAA otherwise it will be really hard to get an offer. Most applicants have top grades and the PS will only seperate the outstanding from the "really good but not good enough" applicants.
Reply 8
Bucky!
Sorry guys, St Andrews are highly unlikely to budge on grades. Last year they sent an email out just before results day basically saying "if you don't get your grades, don't bother ringing us". Although if you are in the situation where you don't have your grades, ignore that and try your luck.

The reason they're really strict on grades is that the uni has very strict limits on the number of Home/EU students it can take imposed by the government. The uni has to give out more offers than it has places (since not everyone will take up their offer), and take a guess at how many students they'll actually get.

Can you confirm this for Computer Science? I was under the impression there's less demand for it because of the low offer (compared to their other courses, not by my standards :P), and they'd comprimise with grades. If the offer was ABB and I got AAC, what would be the probable response? If I got ABC, would it be a definite 'no'?
The university as a whole is being more strict since they ended up with far more people meeting their grades in 2008 than they'd expected (and there was an awful mess with accommodation).
Reply 10
Bucky!

Thanks, although I just got the 2011 entry prospectus and they've changed the entry requiremenets for English from AAB to AAA - :eek: More pressure.

But I definitely agree with the sentence in bold and that's what I am trying to do!
Reply 11
Wasps26
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Summary%20Report%202009.pdf

Above is a link to the admissions summary report for the last couple of years which shows the number of applicants for each department and then the number of actual entrants, its helpful in terms of giving you the info you wanted but unfortunately probably won't make you feel any better as these figures indeed do show there is a lot of competition for places...
But as others have said, you're doing all the right things, you seem genuinely passionate about your subject and the University, and you're filling your personal statement with good things and StAs love a good PS! So just work hard and try your best! Good luck! :biggrin:

Thank you! :smile: And thanks for the link. I'll keep being positive!
Reply 12
Bella_Cullen
Thanks, although I just got the 2011 entry prospectus and they've changed the entry requiremenets for English from AAB to AAA - :eek: More pressure.

But I definitely agree with the sentence in bold and that's what I am trying to do!

Oh my.. why did you say that? I just checked and computer science has gone up from ABB to AAB -.-
Reply 13
Magma828
Oh my.. why did you say that? I just checked and computer science has gone up from ABB to AAB -.-

Sorry! I feel like freaking out about it but that won't do any good. AAB for English was just manageable but AAA - :eek3: I know I haven't got an A for Spanish as the exam paper was really difficult. :frown: Never mind, best just to wait and see, I guess. Que Será Será (whatever will be, will be)!
Reply 14
Magma828
Can you confirm this for Computer Science? I was under the impression there's less demand for it because of the low offer (compared to their other courses, not by my standards :P), and they'd comprimise with grades. If the offer was ABB and I got AAC, what would be the probable response? If I got ABC, would it be a definite 'no'?

It depends. If you had an ABB offer, got AAC, and the C was an unrelated subject (ie not computing or maths), then it could be a yes (depending on the pressure from the Uni admissions department, as other departments may have gone over their limit). If it's an ABC, I'm not convinced that they'd accept that.

As I said, it depends on the pressure from the admissions department, since the financial penalties for going over the Home/EU admissions limits are very strict. If the uni goes over it's limit by 10 Home/EU students, then the government won't fund those students, nor can the uni charge 10 Home/EU students extra fees, so the uni will lose money on them. The number of non-EU students the uni can take is limited by the uni's physical capacity to teach/house them, since they receive no government funding.

I know it's not a very helpful answer, but it depends on several factors. The admissions officer's a nice guy though (whether that can have any bearing on it!)
Reply 15
I know of one or two people that got into medicine at least despite having lower grades than the asking, in the Scottish system they had AAABB instead of AAAAB, but they had the grades before the replied rather than having a conditional and failing to meet it. So it's definitely possible if you get lower than required but as others have said I think it's quite rare that they will accept it.

Latest

Trending

Trending