The Student Room Group

I think I've got to retake the year !!!

I've done reasonably well at my law and I think I've got a C but is this really good enough ? Plus I've completely done appalling at my Maths and I think it's yet another U even though I spent every two days revising for it ! A levels are just so much work ! I went from being a A/B/C student to hardly anything.

Business and ICT both coursework subjects. Feeling confident about getting at least a pass on ICT by end of year and can push on for distinction in 6 week break. I can't really do this with the other modules though that I'm doing next year. Business need a few tweaks and I should be passing as well. I want to be changing this into distinction though !

Anyone else think that they may have to do Year 12 all over again. Oh I wished I'd have done more :frown: !

Scroll to see replies

Quite possibly, otherwise you'll be doing a lot of resits alongside your A2 Modules..
Reply 2
Is there any advice if I do have to do this ?
Reply 3
Do yourself a favour, scrap BS & ICT, start a fresh.

That's what I did anyway.
Reply 4
Wesssty
Do yourself a favour, scrap BS & ICT, start a fresh.

That's what I did anyway.

Well that's a big gamble. You see I've got pretty much distinction in one unit in ICT and he did say that what I've produced in that Unit would be acceptable for degree level. So I fear that I could be throwing away a good subject. Business was my best subject in GCSE but i've just not lived up to it in A level... possibly could drop it.
Reply 5
jaek13456
Well that's a big gamble. You see I've got pretty much distinction in one unit in ICT and he did say that what I've produced in that Unit would be acceptable for degree level. So I fear that I could be throwing away a good subject. Business was my best subject in GCSE but i've just not lived up to it in A level... possibly could drop it.

What was it you wanted to do at degree level?
Reply 6
Wesssty
What was it you wanted to do at degree level?

ICT. Maths was a backup plan but that's not going to work out now.
Reply 7
jaek13456
ICT. Maths was a backup plan but that's not going to work out now.

Computer Science, Information systems?
Reply 8
Wesssty
Computer Science, Information systems?

I did go to the Birmingham Uni Open day and in the admissions lecture I need mathematics and ICT isn't actually compulsory. Bet it would help though. I need an A in Maths though.

Information systems I haven't checked yet. May check that now
Reply 9
jaek13456
I did go to the Birmingham Uni Open day and in the admissions lecture I need mathematics and ICT isn't actually compulsory. Bet it would help though. I need an A in Maths though.

Information systems I haven't checked yet. May check that now

ICT at A level wont really help you with a Comp Sci degree :p: I'd keep maths tbh, but evaluate what you enjoy doing. For a head start if you're gonna do comp sci, read up on python, javascript etc.
Reply 10
jaek13456
I've done reasonably well at my law and I think I've got a C but is this really good enough ? Plus I've completely done appalling at my Maths and I think it's yet another U even though I spent every two days revising for it ! A levels are just so much work ! I went from being a A/B/C student to hardly anything.

Business and ICT both coursework subjects. Feeling confident about getting at least a pass on ICT by end of year and can push on for distinction in 6 week break. I can't really do this with the other modules though that I'm doing next year. Business need a few tweaks and I should be passing as well. I want to be changing this into distinction though !

Anyone else think that they may have to do Year 12 all over again. Oh I wished I'd have done more :frown: !

Retaking was the BEST thing i've ever done. I changed all my subjects, from bio, chem, maths and eco to maths, accountancy, sociology and i took eco onto a2 coz i got a B in it at AS. I'd recommend retaking the year if u wanna do maths at a2...i came out with a D in my 1st year and my teachers had enough confidence in me going onto a2 with that grade, but trust me, with maths u need a REALLY GOOD foundation...i.e. good c1 and c2 grades to even ATTEMPT doing c3 and c4. I'm now on an A/B, and it was the best decision of my life, a year well spent :smile:. Coz what uni u end up at and what course u end up doing determines your LIFE. Rather than failing and going to a crappy uni, if i were you, i'd retake :smile:
and i'm going to birmingham uni in sept *fingerscrossed*
Maths = JUST PLENTY OF PAST PAPERS. trust me :smile:
Reply 11
nicoledol
Retaking was the BEST thing i've ever done. I changed all my subjects, from bio, chem, maths and eco to maths, accountancy, sociology and i took eco onto a2 coz i got a B in it at AS. I'd recommend retaking the year if u wanna do maths at a2...i came out with a D in my 1st year and my teachers had enough confidence in me going onto a2 with that grade, but trust me, with maths u need a REALLY GOOD foundation...i.e. good c1 and c2 grades to even ATTEMPT doing c3 and c4. I'm now on an A/B, and it was the best decision of my life, a year well spent :smile:. Coz what uni u end up at and what course u end up doing determines your LIFE. Rather than failing and going to a crappy uni, if i were you, i'd retake :smile:
and i'm going to birmingham uni in sept *fingerscrossed*
Maths = JUST PLENTY OF PAST PAPERS. trust me :smile:

So what you saying is if I just go through past papers I should be okay ? Sounds good to me :smile: What if my college doesn't allow me to do maths again ? They are quite strict on it.
Reply 12
nicoledol
x

High 5 for retakers!
Reply 13
jaek13456
So what you saying is if I just go through past papers I should be okay ? Sounds good to me :smile: What if my college doesn't allow me to do maths again ? They are quite strict on it.

get a hold of every past paper u can, and their mark schemes and go through them all. then write down the questions u find tough - go to a teacher if u REALLY dont get them or re-do them later if u get them but found them a little difficult. Maths is just a lot of past paper work. But don't look at the mark scheme without attempting the question as much as u can :smile: when u go back to school for lessons, speak to ur head of 6th form about how u feel and what u wanna end up doing at uni and everything, they should be considerate and allow u. But if not, i'd suggest changing colleges - its really beneficial to retake if ur grades are C/D/E/U in the subjects u need
Edit: Yeah I got this completely wrong :P
Reply 15
Wesssty
High 5 for retakers!

:woo: :grouphugs:
Reply 16
aprilterri
As long as you get at least a D you can continue yr 13 and resit the exams. I resat and went from a D to an A in january resits with a few minuites revision. Resits are usually easier so don't worry. The only concern is whether you can be seen as able to get your grades required at A2 but your teacher will put down your predicted grades so maybe just ask them what they think that you'll get and and see if it is in line with the typical offers of your course.

If I get a C at AS with Law and do really well and get an A. Does this put me in a good position for law ? Maths I'm afraid I can't possibly go into A2. I've got some teachers who teach too fast and are well not really good. My only good teacher is semi-retired and can't give much time away. So yeah maths isn't too good at my school :\
Reply 17
PinkGothicLady
My personal opinion, apply to college as if you've got all the grades you wanted and then see what you get on results day.
If you're going to take maths at A level what matters, isn't so much what the university advises but whether your college with let you take A level maths. So if your college requirement is just a C that's all you need. Then instead of resitting maths GCSE, work like hell at AS and A2 maths. That will mean a lot more to your university than you redoing a year just to resit GCSE maths.
I knew someone who decided to retake GCSE maths instead of doing the A level even though he already had a B and that was high enough to take it at A level at our college and he said it was the worst decision he ever made.
And if you get that U in ICT just decline the grade and no one ever needs to know about it.

OP is doing a levels :\
Reply 18
PinkGothicLady
My personal opinion, apply to college as if you've got all the grades you wanted and then see what you get on results day.
If you're going to take maths at A level what matters, isn't so much what the university advises but whether your college with let you take A level maths. So if your college requirement is just a C that's all you need. Then instead of resitting maths GCSE, work like hell at AS and A2 maths. That will mean a lot more to your university than you redoing a year just to resit GCSE maths.
I knew someone who decided to retake GCSE maths instead of doing the A level even though he already had a B and that was high enough to take it at A level at our college and he said it was the worst decision he ever made.
And if you get that U in ICT just decline the grade and no one ever needs to know about it.

I've got a B in GCSE Maths :biggrin: It's AS Maths that i'm worried about :smile:
jaek13456
I've got a B in GCSE Maths :biggrin: It's AS Maths that i'm worried about :smile:

I think I've got two threads confused sorry! It's been a long week :shot:

Latest