The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
LeifErikson
I got a new book yesterday called "Life's A Pitch", and it contained some useful tips about selling yourself in a job interview. For example:

- Make sure a photo is on your CV when you send it in, so you're easier to recognise
- Swot up by reading the company annual report and talk about in the interview, to demonstrate your interest in the firm
- Prepare a list of questions and don't be afraid about telling them you did so - showing you did the preparation make you look good.

I'd really recommend the book - it's very easy to read and written by two very successful advertising guys (Stephen Bailey and Roger Mavity).

I know someone who sees and sifts through a lot of CVs. He said that the only people who put photos on their CVs are people who think their being attractive will give them an advantage. He says it just makes them a bit of a joke.
thanks!!! i have a phone interview on monday!!
Hi!! can anyone suggest any examples of what to say for:

Describe a time when you identified a process improvement opportunity??!!

I can't think of an example from the work (retail) I've done??!
can anyone help, please??!
Always do your research for the company you apply for as they love when their future employees flatter them!
Make sure you are confident and give a bold reply to each of the answers.
If you don't understand a question, ask! It's much better than hestitating and giving an awkward answer!
Make sure your strengths will be of use to the company, e.g. good communication skills if you are applying for editiorial position.
An old chestnut saying, but: You shouldn't give the interview the reason not to hire you, as much as giving them a reason to hire you.
Don't stammer, think before you say - but not for too long otherwise they think you don't understand the question. Basically be confident with your answers and don't say the ridiculous! :smile:
Don't think for too long though, otherwise the interviewer will think that you are slow. Really slow.
The most annoying interview question I've encountered is 'Within the shop, who is the most important person?'

Obviously, there are many answers, but the one I generally find the interviewer is asking for is 'the customer.' I've often resorted to something like 'When the shop's open, the customer, when it's closed, the manager.'

However, I'm not sure if this is quite the way to go. It does sound very anal but I did succeed, so maybe it was correct.
Reply 109
That's my manager's favourite one, she's asked it both times she's interviewed me. I said the customer and that's what she said was right... though I was quite tempted to say her :P
Reply 110
Had one today for a Royal Mail job...

When have been responsible for somebody else's property? What problems did you encounter?

Umm....?
Reply 111
Got a horrible set of questions for an interview I had recently
Some examples...

What are the benefits of ICT in the workplace?
Apparently the benefits I gave;

> quicker/more time efficient
> ease of use/better organisation
> tool for professional development

weren't enough, as they then prompted me for more, which left me speechless. I understand it's their job to see how you react under pressure, but when there's little else to be said (well i felt there wasn't), it's quite pathetic to ask for more benefits. It turned what I thought was a very good on the spot answer into a waffle of rubbish when i tried to think of more benefits

Also

This job involves repetitive work, how would you deal with possible long and boring hours?

I basically said I was willing to make that sacrifice and it wouldn't be a big deal for me. They then asked me to think of actual strategies I would use to prevent boredom, for which I said set myself a target and try to beat it, which must have sounded like absolute bullplop.

and finally

What would you do if you had a problem in the workplace?
Which is harder to answer than you'd think, especially when you don't know about the management hierarchy of the company. I stated I would ask senior colleagues for guidance, but they didn't seem to like that.

to conclude, an absolutely horrible interview.
Reply 112
Hi i have an interview tomorrow with HBOS for the customer advisor role

Can anyone give me interview tips about the competency questions and role play if any1 done it before
Reply 113
Zingle - make sure you have 2 examples for each competency prepared, but don't just recite them parrot-fashion when asked.

You might find these general tips useful too: http://www.launchmind.com/page/interview_advice/

EDIT: just realised you already had your interview, hope it went well!
Has anyone been asked 'Do you have any question for me?
In that situation, my plan is to give them a suprise and ask them, 'If there is one thing you would change about this company/business, what would it be and why?'

Hehe, that would surely give them a suprise!
sion888
Got a horrible set of questions for an interview I had recently
Some examples...

What are the benefits of ICT in the workplace?
Apparently the benefits I gave;

> quicker/more time efficient
> ease of use/better organisation
> tool for professional development

weren't enough, as they then prompted me for more, which left me speechless. I understand it's their job to see how you react under pressure, but when there's little else to be said (well i felt there wasn't), it's quite pathetic to ask for more benefits. It turned what I thought was a very good on the spot answer into a waffle of rubbish when i tried to think of more benefits

Also

This job involves repetitive work, how would you deal with possible long and boring hours?

I basically said I was willing to make that sacrifice and it wouldn't be a big deal for me. They then asked me to think of actual strategies I would use to prevent boredom, for which I said set myself a target and try to beat it, which must have sounded like absolute bullplop.

and finally

What would you do if you had a problem in the workplace?
Which is harder to answer than you'd think, especially when you don't know about the management hierarchy of the company. I stated I would ask senior colleagues for guidance, but they didn't seem to like that.

to conclude, an absolutely horrible interview.

What's wrong with the last answer? Surely that would be the most sensible thing to do in that situation. :confused:
Reply 116
If you're offered a drink, opt for water rather than tea or coffee as it's far less deadly! In my first interview ever, I had a glass of water, and in my excellent smoothness as I went to shake the managing director's hand I managed to my water over the table. It was fine, they both found it funny etc, but I was very happy I'd opted for water! :tongue:
Great post.
I graduated uni a month ago and have been getting short listed for interviews.

What I've noticed at interviews is they have many questions disgused and I tend to only realise the answer that could have been looking for after the interview.

I'm gradually getting better at interviews: But it's taking alot of practice and hardwork! I've found writing mind maps based on: What the job is about, what the job role consists of and how your experience relates!

My most recent interview was for a great job: Promoting O2 Academy music venue. But although I think I gave great answers, I walked out the wrong way, my shoes kept slipping off and I spoke to fast. I also only thought up better answers after I left! (Great opportunity, but I'm not expecting to get it)

My main problem is talking too fast, which probably portrays me as lacking confidence! Any tips for this?
How long do interviewst last?
I have an interview at H&M tommorow lol :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending