The Student Room Group

What A-Levels to become a teacher?

Hey,

I am in year 10 now and am pretty set on becoming a primary school teacher when I'm older. First, these are the GCSE's I'm taking with predicted grades:
Maths A*
Statistics A*
English Language A
English Literature A
Double-Award Science (2 GCSE's) A/A*
Geography A
ICT (2 equivalents to GCSE's) A/A
French B
Drama B

However, I am unsure what A-Levels would be necessary. I am guessing English and Maths would be useful, and I'd love to do them, especially English as I have a love for Literature (hoping for an A*, would be nailed on if not for the most incompetent teacher of all time). After this, I am very open minded and aren't sure what is/isn't useful. I think I would also be eligible to do 5 A-levels, if that is recommendatory?

The other option is to do another qualification, such as a BTEC or the IB. Would this be better?
I don't think it really matters a great deal, although I assume Maths/English is indeed a plus. I seem to remember reading there was a requirement for Maths/English or science at A level and a relevant degree.

Ultimately I would advise doing Maths/English and 2/3 others that you enjoy; I'm no expert though.
Reply 2
dont bother with 5 A-levels unless you want to go to oxford or cambridge or summat
all uniz want 3 A-levels (even oxford n cambridge)
some ask for an AS-level
so just take 4 A-levels when you start, n then depending on how you feel drop 1 after the first year

A-levels is really hard work, as you can imagine you can fit 13 gces in over 2 years, here fitting £ A-levesl is hard work never mind 5, its alot of work, an hour outside each hour of teaching

with the subjects i don't think it matters too much
just ask your careers advisor on whats best
Reply 3
my mate did leisure and tourism, english and ict. and he's doing primary teaching degree atm.
i don't really think it matters much, he did do a lot of volunteering and work experience though.
look at the entry requirements.
Reply 4
I don't have a careers advisor yet - I think I get that either very soon, or start of year 11. If it doesn't matter, then I'll keep English and Maths as I enjoy them, should be useful as they are taught so much in primary's and can be useful even if I change my mind one day, and then pick 2 others I enjoy - will just look around and see what there is. Thanks a lot!
nmac94
I don't have a careers advisor yet - I think I get that either very soon, or start of year 11. If it doesn't matter, then I'll keep English and Maths as I enjoy them, should be useful as they are taught so much in primary's and can be useful even if I change my mind one day, and then pick 2 others I enjoy - will just look around and see what there is. Thanks a lot!

Careers advisors are often useless. Look up what the prerequisites are yourself to be sure.

Latest