The Student Room Group

Language Centre at Uni

I'm applying to uni at the end of this year and hoping to study French and German. I wanted to take up something new but I heard that the three language degrees are quite difficult but I've seen that many universities have 'Language Centres'. I'm a bit confused about how they work. Can you just take something up and study it independently or is it always part of a smaller separate course? I've seen some of these courses are credit-bearing so does that mean it's actually part of the degree and therefore decreases weighting in the other languages that you study? (which I would rather not happen)

I suppose there are different systems at different universities but I'm so confused! I would be grateful if someone could explain :biggrin:
With the language centres at the universities that I have attended you could do either weekend or evening classes. The classes I took were completely independent of my degree.

As far as I know the for-credit modules you have seen are for people who are doing say a maths degree and want to do a language for one of their optional modules
Reply 2
some unis such as leeds allow you to study 2 languages and then have a spare 60 (i think) credits on top. which you can use for another subject, such as another language. It just means doing a bit less of french or german for you. but more of another language!
Reply 3
beefmaster
With the language centres at the universities that I have attended you could do either weekend or evening classes. The classes I took were completely independent of my degree.

As far as I know the for-credit modules you have seen are for people who are doing say a maths degree and want to do a language for one of their optional modules

Oh okay, this makes more sense!
Reply 4
As Beefmaster said, the courses are generally evening/weekends and totally separate from your degree, the exception being if you have modules 'to spare' on another subject, like if you're doing a Maths degree. If you're doing two languages already, this won't be the case for you, so it won't reduce the contact time or anything you have for the languages you're doing as part of your degree. Another thing to consider is that some universities (such as Bristol) charge for use of the language facilities, whereas at others (eg Bath) they're completely free, so depending on your finances this may also be something to think about.

Edit: Also, even with three languages degrees, you don't spent less time on the first two languages, you just don't get to study as many cultural modules.

Latest

Trending

Trending