Unless you're down to three subjects :colonhash:
Reply 4
No. Check out some prospectuses.
Reply 5
Renal
Is it that time of year again? :rolleyes:

:yes:
Reply 6
OP did you actually pick up a prospectus? Unless your applying to Oxbridge, you don't need maths.:yes:
Stricof
Was it ever a requirement ? :indiff: Unless you're down to three subjects :colonhash:

The main biggie is Chemistry.

THIS IS A MUST.

And a secondary science is required too for some med schools.

Take Biology as it relates more to Chemistry than Physics would be.

Also take a social science subject like Psycho or Socio.
Medicine is a lot more than just science. It's got a lot of ethics and sociology too :smile:

Stick to just three subs and become expert them at them at A-level standard :smile:

Forget Maths, unless you want to do that at uni.

Teachers telling you to do maths at a-level to get into med school is complete propaganda :P

Try this combo out:

Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
4th subject (a fun subject that you can afford to drop)

Every single uni course I've seen have asked for MAX 3 a-level grades.

why colleges ask you to take 4, i really dont know :P
guess its to broaden any future prospects
Reply 8
Why do people always post threads like this? Look at a prospectus, that's what they're there for.
Reply 9
Renal

lolz
Reply 10
ECullen
OP did you actually pick up a prospectus? Unless your applying to Oxbridge, you don't need maths.:yes:

Even if you ARE applying to Oxbridge, if you pick your college sensibly you don't need Maths. There is only ONE college at Cambridge which has Maths as an absolute requirement. A handful more want 3 sciences to A2; the rest want 3 to AS and 2 to A2. Oxford are even less stringent on this stuff.

OP, you will harm your application far more by having a C grade in Maths than by not having Maths at all and getting AAB/AAA in other subjects (IMO).
Reply 11
You don't even need it for Oxbridge- I know a guy who did 3 sciences and geology and got an offer from Cambridge. So it shouldn't affect your application.
certainly not. i dropped french over maths, and it was even a talking point at some interviews! pick Science(chem for me) Science(bio here for me) and another that you just enjoy, purely for the quality of life(french) as it makes revision and the school year a whole lot more easy.
some people genuinely enjoy maths, so it is fine for them. but try to pick things you enjoy, its something looking at my timetable and looking forward to everything :smile:
Lol at the guy who said you should take a social "science".
Renal

How do you regularly post in this forum and remain sane?

I ventured into one thread on admissions and left with a raised blood pressure and left a host of rude comments.

Markh1000
Lol at the guy who said you should take a social "science".

What would be the problem with that as a third subject? Chemistry, Biology and History say are perfectly okay.
Reply 15
Moe Lester
How do you regularly post in this forum and remain sane.

I ventured into one thread on admissions and left with a raised blood pressure and leaving a host of rude comments.
I just remember that they're all ***** and I want them nowhere near my profession. I see it as a duty to make them **** off.
kironkabir
Forget Maths, unless you want to do that at uni.

What! Forget maths if you don't like it/aren't very good at it/aren't interested in it .etc. If someone enjoys maths and wants to be a medic taking maths will do no harm.
Reply 17
No.
TheBigI

kironkabir

Also take a social science subject like Psycho or Socio.
Medicine is a lot more than just science. It's got a lot of ethics and sociology too :smile:

Don't listen to this guy. Sociology is seen as a 'soft' subject, and Psychology is often looked at in the same way, so it can hinder a competitive application such as medicine by taking them. As well as this, A-level Sociology won't have any content at all that relates to Medicine, looking through specifications and past question papers. If you want ethics, take Philosophy & Ethics or Religious Studies, which are both respected subjects. You really don't need need maths for Medicine at all, but it would be a stronger choice looked more favourably upon than than the subjects this guy suggested.
Muffin.
Why do people always post threads like this? Look at a prospectus, that's what they're there for.

This post should be a sticky/motto for the medicine sub-forum!

Latest

Trending

Trending