Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What you wish you'd been told before coming to Oxford

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    I know, but I've been on a Gap Year, so I've become fully satiated with fun things over the last ten months...I feel listless...
    Oh fair enough! In that case read Ulysses... bleh.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shj)
    Oh fair enough! In that case read Ulysses... bleh.
    I'll read it after I've finished 'Arguably'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll read it after I've finished 'Arguably'.
    You should definitely stock up on snacks before you start it. It's like the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award in book form.

(Mucky, long and unpleasant - most of the pleasure comes when you finish it.)

Good luck! Haha
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shj)
    You should definitely stock up on snacks before you start it. It's like the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award in book form.

(Mucky, long and unpleasant - most of the pleasure comes when you finish it.)

Good luck! Haha
    :lol: I'm not attempting to read it all in one sitting - unlike the D of E Gold Expedition, which I did have to do in one go. :sigh: :erm:

It's been pretty interesting thus far, though, even if I've had to look up a hell of a lot of stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's been pretty interesting thus far, though, even if I've had to look up a hell of a lot of stuff.
    Awesome Good luck and all the best for your fresher's year. Mine's just finished (last exam Friday) and I'm really kind of sad. It's so fantastic and awesome.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shj)
    Awesome Good luck and all the best for your fresher's year. Mine's just finished (last exam Friday) and I'm really kind of sad. It's so fantastic and awesome.
    Thank you. I'm incredibly excited and terrified simultaneously. It's good to hear that you enjoyed it, though. Did you find it tough?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I'm incredibly excited and terrified simultaneously. It's good to hear that you enjoyed it, though. Did you find it tough?
    Erm yeah, but intermittently. Mostly it's good/quite interesting and just taxing enough. They'll tell you ridiculous lies about having to work five hours per day plus lectures to keep up... don't listen to them!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shj)
    They'll tell you ridiculous lies about having to work five hours per day plus lectures to keep up... don't listen to them!
    Dude, what do you study?!?!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlowerFaerie087)
    I know.... Some people, eh?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lectures are largely an inefficient use of time. Summaries or even whole transcripts of them can usually be found on the official website or blagged off older students, and they mess up the morning routine and take extra time to get to and from. Economics lectures, for instance, even on the rare occasion when the lecturer is good at delivering them, they are very basic and aimed and imparting a 2:2 level of knowledge according to one lecturer.

Non-PPE lectures may be more useful, though i doubt it for other arts/disclaimer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mournfulpirate)
    Lectures are largely an inefficient use of time. Summaries or even whole transcripts of them can usually be found on the official website or blagged off older students, and they mess up the morning routine and take extra time to get to and from. Economics lectures, for instance, even on the rare occasion when the lecturer is good at delivering them, they are very basic and aimed and imparting a 2:2 level of knowledge according to one lecturer.

Non-PPE lectures may be more useful, though i doubt it for other arts/disclaimer.
    I can see where you're coming from, but they hardly mess up the morning routine - in fact, they're a good warm-up for more thorough, in-depth work later on in the day. And considering how little contact time us arts students get, they're good value for money, so to speak.
    Not to say I've been going to them with any regularity, of course...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCarmady)
    I can see where you're coming from, but they hardly mess up the morning routine - in fact, they're a good warm-up for more thorough, in-depth work later on in the day. And considering how little contact time us arts students get, they're good value for money, so to speak.
    Not to say I've been going to them with any regularity, of course...

My, admittedly extreme, routine was rising 6 ish for exercize/rowing followed by starting work. Lectures anywhere from 9-12 leave leave an awkward gap between exercize and their start, and their finish and my (college provided) lunch, which was often procrastinated away. Also, their slow pace and the (short) journey to and from schools frustrated me as I was pumped for work in the mid-morning.

Disregarding this, they were still a very inefficient way to learn. Haven't attended more than a quarter this year (and the ones I did remained terrible), and am heading for a first.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mournfulpirate)
    My, admittedly extreme, routine was rising 6 ish for exercize/rowing followed by starting work. Lectures anywhere from 9-12 leave leave an awkward gap between exercize and their start, and their finish and my (college provided) lunch, which was often procrastinated away. Also, their slow pace and the (short) journey to and from schools frustrated me as I was pumped for work in the mid-morning.

Disregarding this, they were still a very inefficient way to learn. Haven't attended more than a quarter this year (and the ones I did remained terrible), and am heading for a first.
    I would agree that, for the most part, lectures aren't the quickest way to take in material. I've had a few really engaging lecturers who covered very useful material in the time allotted, which came in handy for revision. However, most of the time when I look back on my notes they're really not that useful and my own notes from reading are more detailed/relevant.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlowerFaerie087)
    English Lit... not exactly renowned as the most taxing of subjects
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    the difference between the colleges...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moritzplatz)
    the difference between the colleges...
    what do you mean by that?:confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemKate)
    what do you mean by that?:confused:
    to know that every college is different.
    i did an open application thinking that the college had no importance at all.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    to know that every college is different.
    i did an open application thinking that the college had no importance at all.
    What would you change if you had the chance? I've always been told that the colleges are much more alike than different?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    What would you change if you had the chance? I've always been told that the colleges are much more alike than different?
    i would have applied to a college like Chch, merton, worcester or queens..

just because it feels more being at oxford in colleges like them! (and also for the rowing side of the matter...)
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would have applied to a college like Chch, merton, worcester or queens..

just because it feels more being at oxford in colleges like them! (and also for the rowing side of the matter...)
    Ah ok, I presume that you're in a more modern college then? You're still (I assume) living in/around Oxford though, which is practically ancient!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.