The Student Room Group

Psychology - levels of data (nominal, ordinal, interval)

Hey guys,

I once again need help. I'm struggling with understanding what these exactly are (levels of data - nominal, ordinal and interval), and I've been provided with questions which appear below. These need identification of the level of data being collected and explanation of how the decision was established.

1. A psychologist gave two groups of students a list of words to remember. He wanted to find out whether boys had better memories than girls.
A: ?

2. A psychologist carried out an observational study to find out whether male drivers were more likely to use their mobile phones than female drivers.

3. A psychologist devised an IQ test. The maximum score was 100.

4. You take someone's temperature.

You may as well do it as a kind of exercise to prepare you better for the upcoming exam (OCR)! Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
That username is in use!
Hey guys,

I once again need help. I'm struggling with understanding what these exactly are (levels of data - nominal, ordinal and interval), and I've been provided with questions which appear below. These need identification of the level of data being collected and explanation of how the decision was established.

1. A psychologist gave two groups of students a list of words to remember. He wanted to find out whether boys had better memories than girls.

2. A psychologist carried out an observational study to find out whether male drivers were more likely to use their mobile phones than female drivers.

3. A psychologist devised an IQ test. The maximum score was 100.

4. You take someone's temperature.

You may as well do it as a kind of exercise to prepare you better for the upcoming exam (OCR)! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. nominal (two groups of data being comapred

2.id say nominal again as comapring two groups

3. oridnal i think as data will be put in rank order

4. interval it goes up in intervals

Latest

Trending

Trending