The Student Room Group

AQA physics unit 5 sig fig

I am at my wits end with this. How are you supposed to decide how many sig fig to put? It alternates between two and three in the answers and sometimes you lose a mark if it's not the right one :confused: :eek: how do you know which to use???
Reply 1
Usually it's best to go with 3 s.f. However, I've heard my teacher say that the mark scheme is usually pretty bad in that it just has an answer that is either 2 or 3 s.f. and the questions never state how many s.f. it should be either. I'm sure in the actual exam you can't be marked down for going with 3 s.f. though.

Personally, I go with how many sf they give in the question. E.g. if it's 2 s.f. then I'd give me answer in 2 s.f. and I'd use the constants with 2 s.f.
Reply 2
I leave everything in untill the last answer e.g. if my calculator gives a long answer, I'll write that down. That way theres no way they could penalize me up untill the end when I round to 3 sig fig.
Reply 3
Mit321
I leave everything in untill the last answer e.g. if my calculator gives a long answer, I'll write that down. That way theres no way they could penalize me up untill the end when I round to 3 sig fig.

This.
And if i'm feeling really unsure i'll do it to 3 sig fig, then underneath it i'lll write it to 2 just in case :mmm:
Reply 4
Yeah like everyone says, you should never round sig figs until the final answer.

If in doubt, use 3 sig figs. However, if you question gives you numbers in two and three sig figs, round your final answer to two sig figs this is more correct (you can't have an answer to 3sf if your not all your data is to 3sf).

EDIT: If you then have to use your final answer in the next part of the question, always remember to use the unrounded version!
Reply 5
If you can't leave it as an exact answer until the end, then do it to at least 5. The write your final answer in that number of SF, then write it again with fewer SF (two or three - your call) and makes sure you write "to 3 SF" or whatever you decide on)

They're looking more for method and correct answers rather than how your round it, so as long as it's not too vague then you should be alright.
Reply 6
I've always been told not to round until the end of the calculation, and then to round to the smallest number of significant figures given in the question, so if you had your answer somewhere at 5sf, and final at 2/3sf (whichever seems appropriate) then you should be fine.
Reply 7
That's the thing tho, in the revision questions I've done it just seems to vary between the two and it doesn't give you the mark if you put the wrong one down. I'll just try my best on the evidence there I guess but I swear sometimes it's perfectly fine to put it in 3 s.f rather than 2 and they don't give you the mark :mad:
3 Quick questions :-)
1. if the answer said 3.0 x10-4 on the mark scheme and i wrote 30x-3 in my answer would i still get the mark even though its written differently on the mark scheme? How do you know which power of 10 to use?

2.when doing a question where you have to use a previous answer you've worked out do you use the rounded answer or the unrounded answer

3. When doing a question where you have to show something is equal to a certain value, do you have to use the 'show me' answer in the next part of the working or the actual worked value.
Original post by Leonacatherine
3 Quick questions :-)
1. if the answer said 3.0 x10-4 on the mark scheme and i wrote 30x-3 in my answer would i still get the mark even though its written differently on the mark scheme? How do you know which power of 10 to use?

2.when doing a question where you have to use a previous answer you've worked out do you use the rounded answer or the unrounded answer

3. When doing a question where you have to show something is equal to a certain value, do you have to use the 'show me' answer in the next part of the working or the actual worked value.

1. The rule is that if you have

y x 10^x
and
y>=10
you make y<10 and increase the x accordingly

For example

90 x 10^3 becomes 9.0 x 10^4 (because 90>=10)
55 x 10^9 becomes 5.5 x 10^10 (because 55>=10)
30 x 10^-3 becomes 3.0 x 10^-2 (because 30>=10)
100 x 10^3 becomes 1.0 x 10^5 (because 100>=10)
1000 x 10^2 becomes 1.0 x 10^5 (because 1000>=10)
10 x 10^-2 becomes 1.0 x 10^-1 (because 10>=10)
and so on

2. Its always good practice to use the unrounded answer (stops errors creeping in) but it doesn’t matter too much, as a check you can see if you get the same number with the rounded and unrounded answer.

If the previous question specified a degree of accuracy use the rounded answer.

For example

the question says 'use the answer you got in the previous question to....'

and your previous question said 'give you anwser to (e.g.) 2.s.f'

use the rounded answer.

3. same as 2. As they specified a value/number/accuracy in the 'show me' just use the show me anwser

Hope that clears it up abit :-)
Original post by starry_n3bula

y x 10^x
and
y>=10

For example

and so on

2. Its always good practice to use the unrounded answer (stops errors creeping in) but it doesn’t matter too much, as a check you can see if you get the same number with the rounded and unrounded answer.

For example

use the rounded answer.

3. same as 2. As they specified a value/number/accuracy in the 'show me' just use the show me anwser

Thank you so so so much!
Thank you so so so much!

np :smile:

y x 10^x
and
y>=10

For example

and so on

For example

use the rounded answer.

quick question about rounding though in a question they wanted the answer to 3 sig figs, it specified. I wrote 5.16x10^3 but they just wrote 5160, would i still get the mark or?
quick question about rounding though in a question they wanted the answer to 3 sig figs, it specified. I wrote 5.16x10^3 but they just wrote 5160, would i still get the mark or?

5.16*10^3=5160 and both ways of writing are to 3.s.f so you will get the mark :smile:

Is this GCSE level? If so, many people have trouble with powers at this level so majority of students will write '5160', so that’s why its written in the marksheme like that (easier for the ppl doing the marking to see if an answer is correct, but they will see yours is right).

If your ever worried about something like this in am exam just write:

=... (ur working)
=....(ur working)
= 5.16*10^3
=5160

:smile:
5.16*10^3=5160 and both ways of writing are to 3.s.f so you will get the mark :smile:

Is this GCSE level? If so, many people have trouble with powers at this level so majority of students will write '5160', so that’s why its written in the marksheme like that (easier for the ppl doing the marking to see if an answer is correct, but they will see yours is right).

If your ever worried about something like this in am exam just write:

=... (ur working)
=....(ur working)
= 5.16*10^3
=5160

:smile:

omg no haha! its A2 i understand significant figures and how to use them I've just transferred to a different exam board from the one i did at AS so I'm not familiar with the mark scheme. I know theyre the same thing but only one of them is on the mark scheme and i'm not sure how specific aqa are with their marking.
omg no haha! its A2 i understand significant figures and how to use them I've just transferred to a different exam board from the one i did at AS so I'm not familiar with the mark scheme. I know theyre the same thing but only one of them is on the mark scheme and i'm not sure how specific aqa are with their marking.

Ah haha sorry, I'm used to marking undergrads and at degree level answers are always in the standard scientific notation (i.e powers). Tbh I can't see how aqa could justify not giving you the mark when you've given them the correct answer to 3.s.f which is exactly what the question asked for. But as your worried just write it both ways on the exam paper :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest