The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I still use it :ninja:
retro54
The post above is patronising yet the one below was being pedantic, maybe even troll like and looking for a reaction or to show some form of higher dwelling....I fail to see why you would post this...

Im sure, (especially as you highlight your 'potential' in math in your sig) you have come accross the term before....

Its a simple alogorithm or acronym many in year 8/9 learn to begin with, yet it seems to have a bad rap from some posts I read

cool story brah but he speaks the truth, it's utterly pointless. The young mathematicians are being failed by little things like this, I certainly wished that I was pushed slightly harder in primary school and judging by the performance of GCSE students nationwide it looks like it would be a good idea too.
I never knew it as the FOIL method, we were just told to multiply the x's, then the numbers with the x's, then the numbers because that's how a quadratic equation is supposed to look. And even if you don't you can always rearrange it afterwards, hence the main point of it is that you do the same thing every time and don't get confused about what you have and haven't done.
Reply 43
retro54
Im sure, (especially as you highlight your 'potential' in math in your sig) you have come accross the term before....

i have done slightly less maths than ziedj and i'd never seen the term before TSR
Reply 44
ziedj
Okay well thanks for the psychoanalysis, friend :h:

And no, I have never come across the term. If I had, I wouldn't have needed to ask :smile:

It wasn't a pschoanalysis, I was simply calling you a c.ock in a diplomatic manner, friend.
Find it is the easiest way to expand

Now do it mentally! :biggrin:
Reply 46
Farhan.Hanif93
cool story brah but he speaks the truth, it's utterly pointless. The young mathematicians are being failed by little things like this, I certainly wished that I was pushed slightly harder in primary school and judging by the performance of GCSE students nationwide it looks like it would be a good idea too.

I find the culture within the forum here though is driven to high achievers who spot things and think mathematically. Viewing people trying to expand double brackets at the lower end of the 'brain chain' often leads them to need simple logical step by step methods and a range of acronyms to work their way through

My question initially revolved around thinking there was an alternative method rather than arguing the semantics or requirement for an acronym, more the mathematical approach
Reply 47
I always did it with a little grid box thing, with the two brackets on the top and side of the box so each 'cell' would show the product. And then just add them together. Works for whatever combination of brackets you want :p:.

In fact I used it in my FP2 exam the other day to check my working :ninja:...
ziedj
I find it quite unbelievable is that people need to learn this acronym to do it, as if by not knowing the "FOIL" order of operations they would be totally lost and have no idea what on earth to do.. it's a bracket, you multiply everything in the first one by everything in the next one.. how can people honestly need something "reminding" them what order to do it in?

You would be surprised. Plenty of A Level students just multiply the first terms and the last terms and the problem is significantly worse at GCSE. Expanding a pair of linear terms is a grade C skill at GCSE and it is one most 16 year olds in this country never master. Teachers actually tend to reserve FOIL for more able students (those who are capable of remembering what the letters stand for, that would probably locate them in Sets 1 and 2). They tend to draw a smiley face for less academic students.

My variation of the smiley is the parrot (once seen never forgotten) © Mr M 2010.

Parrot.jpg
retro54
I find the culture within the forum here though is driven to high achievers who spot things and think mathematically. Viewing people trying to expand double brackets at the lower end of the 'brain chain' often leads them to need simple logical step by step methods and a range of acronyms to work their way through

My question initially revolved around thinking there was an alternative method rather than arguing the semantics or requirement for an acronym, more the mathematical approach

I think the issue we have here is that it's not really the method which is a problem, it's the use of an acronym to suggest that it's too difficult to do without it. Which isn't the case. I think most reasonable people on here (particularly the mathematicians) believe that the education system is failing the youngsters before they get on there feet and the emphasis should be on why the method works and where it came from rather than 4 letters to help you remember it for the following year or an exam.
Mr M
You would be surprised. Plenty of A Level students just multiply the first terms and the last terms and the problem is significantly worse at GCSE. Expanding a pair of linear terms is a grade C skill at GCSE and it is one most 16 year olds in this country never master. Teachers actually tend to reserve FOIL for more able students (those who are capable of remembering what the letters stand for, that would probably locate them in Sets 1 and 2). They tend to draw a smiley face for less academic students.

My variation of the smiley is the parrot (once seen never forgotten) © Mr M 2010.

Parrot.jpg

Absolutely genius :biggrin:.
Isabobble
I always did it with a little grid box thing, with the two brackets on the top and side of the box so each 'cell' would show the product. And then just add them together. Works for whatever combination of brackets you want :p:.

In fact I used it in my FP2 exam the other day to check my working :ninja:...

Indeed. I use grid method to introduce expanding brackets to grade C/D borderliners* before they move on to the relatively high level skill that is parrot.

* You possibly do not need this scaffolding now if you have completed FP2!
Manitude
It only works for (linear)(linear) ir you've got (quadratic)(quartic) or something similar then it just wouldn't work.
May as well have a consistant method.

That's my reason anyway.

This, whereas grid method you can multiply any number of terms inside two brackets together.
nothing like a bit of trivial maths beef :love:
Mr M
Indeed. I use grid method to introduce expanding brackets to grade C/D borderliners* before they move on to the relatively high level skill that is parrot.

I've been forced to do this for a STEP question before because I was too tired to do the algebra efficiently in my head.. :ninja:
Mr M

Parrot.jpg

Now THAT is something I want on a t-shirt :biggrin:

Surely the most intuitive, easy, basic way would be to split the bracket as:

(a+b)(x+y)=a(x+y)+b(x+y)(a+b)(x+y) = a(x+y) + b(x+y)

while explaining that "if you have a plus b of x+y, then you have a of x+y [and draw the a(x+y)] as well as b of x+y [and draw the b(x+y)].

I'm not going to argue with your knowledge, because you've been teaching maths probably longer than I've even been alive and as such know what "works" for those who don't have much intuition.. but that seems like the most basic way I can possibly think of it :erm:
Reply 56
wizard710
This, whereas grid method you can multiply any number of terms inside two brackets together.

Or better still, just crank through every term logically starting with left and left untill you get right and right, adding each term as you got.

Saves having to draw out a grid.
Reply 57
Mr M

No, I probably don't need it :p: I just find it useful to have a set way of just crunching the algebra if I need to check my answer quickly! It's just the way we were shown in year 8/9/whatever, and I suppose as long as you actually understand the maths, it doesn't really matter how you get there...

It does reduce the probability of me making a ridiculous algebra mistake in an exam though, so I'm not complaining, I feel no shame :cool: haha.
ziedj
Now THAT is something I want on a t-shirt :biggrin:

Surely the most intuitive, easy, basic way would be to split the bracket as:

(a+b)(x+y)=a(x+y)+b(x+y)(a+b)(x+y) = a(x+y) + b(x+y)

while explaining that "if you have a plus b of x+y, then you have a of x+y [and draw the a(x+y)] as well as b of x+y [and draw the b(x+y)].

I'm not going to argue with your knowledge, because you've been teaching maths probably longer than I've even been alive and as such know what "works" for those who don't have much intuition.. but that seems like the most basic way I can possibly think of it :erm:

That is absolutely correct and meaningful. It would sound exactly like this to a typical student "Armpit banana worm cat tree biscuit, now you all know what to do, please complete Exercise 3B on page 39."
grid is best :biggrin:

Latest