The Student Room Group

are resits unfair?

OK, i may be being really stupid here but someone told me today that it's easier to get a high grade in resits than the first time you sit the exam. Their reasoning was this: the majority (i know not all) of people doing the resit will have done badly in their first exam, therefore the overall calibre of the students sitting the exam is lower. So if you get lots of less intelligent people sitting the exam, the grade boundaries will be lower than for the original exam when you had a whole range of people.

Can this be right? It kind of makes sense but i'm sure that exam boards wouldn't let it be this unfair. Am i missing something? :confused:
Reply 1
anyone :confused:
Reply 2
I wouldnt say so, lots of the people doing the example will not necessarily be students resitting, they dont have separate papers for resits and those sitting the exam for the first time :smile:
Reply 3
bubbaa
I wouldnt say so, lots of the people doing the example will not necessarily be students resitting, they dont have separate papers for resits and those sitting the exam for the first time :smile:

Aah, good point :biggrin:
I knew there was something wrong with the theory :yes:
TBH if you can't pass a GCSE first time round, you are epic fail
Reply 5
No! Think about this. I took P1a and got a D, retook it again and got a C. Then I got serious. Revised my butt off and got an A*. People who do retakes want to get better so revise more to get a better grade.

People take retakes more seriously then the first time they take the exam

Latest