The Student Room Group

Access courses - workload

Hi :smile:

Has anyone done the Access to HE Humanities route recently??

I have been accepted onto the programme starting in September and just wanted some advice on the course...I am going to be working 2 and 1/2 days in between college. Has anyone managed the workload with having a part time job too??

How difficult is the course??

I got 9 A*'s at GCSE level four years ago and started college but really hated it. Now I'm ready to get back into it and want to eventually become a teacher.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Thank you

Rebecca
Reply 1
Rebecca2512

I have been accepted onto the programme starting in September and just wanted some advice on the course...I am going to be working 2 and 1/2 days in between college. Has anyone managed the workload with having a part time job too??

I got 9 A*'s at GCSE level four years ago and started college but really hated it. Now I'm ready to get back into it and want to eventually become a teacher.

Thank you

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca.

Yes, plenty of people do an access course with a part time job and at time the work load can be very high.

At one point this year I had seven essays (around 12,000 words in total) all due within 2 and a half weeks and that wasn't down to me being lazy, they'd just all been given in 2 weeks.

As for how difficult it is, well, it's essentially a combination of A2 and AS level work, how difficult it is pertains to your own level of ability but I'd say for the majority it certainly isn't each, there were a very high number of drop outs in my college.

But it's certainly very possible and if you stay organised and focused then there's no reason you wont succeed!

Good luck :smile:

EDIT: Oh, one this to add, and I'm certainly not saying this is indicative of all 19 year olds but given how many that were like this on our course then it's worth mentioning.

Access is under no circumstances an easy alternative to A Levels, and just two under 19s out of the 15 or so that started finished.
Would you say the work load of an Access course is more than or equal to that of a normal AS/Alevel? or a BTEC ND?
I'm asking from the perspective of someone who has both.
Reply 3
Having done AS levels, i can say that by the sounds of it, you get much more work, mainly because there are a lot more essays and its crammed.

Rebecca, most people on Access courses will have part time jobs, the best advice is to work on the days you are not at college and avoid working after college especially during the first month or so while you adapt to the workload.
I have just finished a 1 yr intense access course in biological sciences, we were told it's the equivalent of 3 a levels. It's hard work but it's totally worth it and yes you can still have a part time job whilst doing the course, just make sure you have good time management to meet coursework deadlines etc! I have 2 little boys and I found the time. I got my results on friday just passed and am totally over the moon, its all worthwhile when your hard work pays off and I can't wait to start uni in september!
What are you hoping to go on to do?
Best of luck, you will really enjoy it! xxxx
Reply 5
Rebecca2512

Thank you

Rebecca

Hello,

I finished this a few weeks ago and get my final results in five weeks. I have five distinctions and two merits with a few grades to come back. I've been out of education for ten years and found it ok. It is very important to plan your time right. Thoose who didn't were the ones that dropped out.

I didn't do mine with a job but I did GCSEs aswell and managed. A few on the course had jobs and they have done alright.

Most important thing is to keep on top of your workload. Everyday I spent a good few hours of work aswell as going to college.

I'm sure you will be fine and good luck!

Lee
Reply 6
thanks for the replies everyone :smile: good to know people have managed with work as well and other committments.

this year i completed HNC Year 1 as well as working full time so that should help me this year with the workload as obviously HNC is level 4 and assignments were often 6000 words, which was hard to juggle with work as well, so i'm hoping the work i've put in this year will be beneficial next year.

congrats lilchatterbox2010 on your course because i bet the sciences one is very challenging, especially with 2 boys to look after as well. luckily i am good at organising myself (probably a bit too organised haha) so hopefully i will manage, i guess its just before you start the course you have all these doubts and with it being an entry to university there is so much riding on it. which uni are you going to and what are you studying?? i hope to go onto do Primary Education next year, hopefully at Huddersfield, Sheffield Hallam, York or Leeds. There is lots of competition for this course so i know i'll have to get my head down this year and put in the work.

:smile: xx
Reply 7
I'm not going to lie... It is very hard work fitting it all in around work. Your tutors will be flexible though about it.

I don't work as in 9-5 but my line of work (DJ) meant some nights I wasn't in until 3 or 4 in the morning (to be up at 7) but my tutors were ok with it as long as I informed them if I was working. The best thing is to keep organised and set a timetable when you get work (you will be made to do this in study skills!). Then when it comes to it, just get the work done. Once it's done it's out of the way then there are no worries. Don't leave it until the night before (although, I have nothing lower than merit and that has been my practice!)

There were a couple of people on my course doing it and doing shift work. I tip my hat to those. That must have been difficult especially after working nights coming into college. All of those have stuck at it though while those who have just moaned about the workload throughout the year have left.

Good luck to you. It's difficult but the reward outwieghs the con s
Reply 8
thanks sjholland87 :smile: it must be very difficult for those working nights.

have you had any exams with your course or is it just assignments?? are they spread throughout the year and do all of your assignments count towards your final mark??
Reply 9
It's all been assignments for me. Spread pretty evenly throughout the year but if you don't get one done, they soon mount up.
Reply 10
How much work was giving in the first few weeks of the Access course starting? im due to start the course in September and am quite nervous! Not too sure what to expect. I was only told be tutors there will be a heavy workload. Can anyone give their thoughts/opinions or tips, on how to manage the course successfully? thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending