The Student Room Group

Do I have any hope?!!

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice (and perhaps reassurance!) on becoming a vet.
I applied in October for 4 vet schools and after 3 interviews got rejected from them all.
Now I’m really worried that I won’t get my grades in August and I don’t know what I’ll do if I don’t get them.
I applied for Nottingham and had an interview there so I can’t reapply there (much to my disappointment because it was my favourite ) and I’ve no hope of getting the grades for Cambridge:frown:
This limits my options somewhat and furthermore I can’t apply to do any of the preliminary years because I don’t meet the criteria.
I really want to be a vet and I managed to get 3A’s in my AS levels in biology chemistry and maths (but got a C and D in my other 2 AS), but my confidence has taken a huge knock and I’m worried that its affected my overall grades.
I know I can re-sit my A-levels but if I’m correct that means I can’t apply to Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Are there vet schools abroad that don’t have as high grades required / have preliminary years that I could apply for?
Also I know I could do another degree first but I’m certain I won’t be able to afford post grad fees, unless you can get any help at all with them (or in fact any help when studying abroad)?
I don’t want to have to give up my dream but I don’t know if I’m good enough to get in. Is there anything I can do?
P.S. Does anyone know if I can apply for the health certificate at Nottingham when I’ve already applied there and been interviewed?
P.P.S Do I have any chance through clearing if I manage to get the grades? If so how should I go about it? Can I ring all the vet schools, even if I didn’t apply for them?
Thank you, xx
First of all, wait and see! There is absolutely no point in worrying about it now, the exams are done and you'll just have to wait, as horrible as it is.

Lots of people get rejected first time around, and you actually did quite well to get 3 interviews.

Best thing to do, wait and see what the grades are, possibly re-sit a few modules or something, but people do get in with ABB and sometimes lower, so also work on the work experience. Its not impossible, but you need to make yourself stand out.

There wont be any chance at all with clearing im afraid. Vet schools give out all their places and people who were given offers but just missed them would be first choice for any left over spaces, they won't give them to people they didnt give offers to in the first place.

There are vet schools abroad, im at one in slovakia because i couldnt afford the graduate fees in the UK (avoid the graduate route at all costs!). I should also point out that even if you do a degree first, you're still expected to have the correct A level grades, so this isnt an easier option, it means people with degrees have to go back to college too.

This is a post where people have been discussing the uni's abroad
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=843253

and another; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1234802

However, since its your first degree, it would be a lot cheaper for you to stay in the UK. I pay 6500 euros a year, which is a hell of a lot better than £20,000 in the UK, but it wouldnt be saving you money. Plus the course is 6 years.

The only thing i think you can actively do at the moment is get more work experience. Work on that now over the summer, otherwise you will be applying again with no improvement, which does not look good! So since you seem like you really want to do something about it, then build that up. Other than that you will just have to wait for results day, but like i said before A LOT of people have to apply a second time, and even a third time, but they get there in the end! Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'll try not to worry!
I have various work experience including regularly visiting a vets for a year, week at large animal vets, kennels, dairy farm, lambing, zoo and a day at an abbattoir. Is there any other work experience you would recommend me doing?
Thank you for the links aswell, i'll have to check them out.
How is vet school in Slovakia? Is it much different to the UK?x
x~Kt~x
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'll try not to worry!
I have various work experience including regularly visiting a vets for a year, week at large animal vets, kennels, dairy farm, lambing, zoo and a day at an abbattoir. Is there any other work experience you would recommend me doing?
Thank you for the links aswell, i'll have to check them out.
How is vet school in Slovakia? Is it much different to the UK?x

No bother :-) i know what its like to feel like you're never going to make it. Slovakia is basically the same as uni in the UK, apart from when you step out the university gates you're in slovakia, and thats pretty much the only difference!

All the work experience you have is good, you've covered all the basic areas, i would just say MORE MORE MORE, especially if you're wanting to stand out. Say you and another person have done all the same types of work experience, but one of you has done 10 weeks, and the other 20 weeks, who is going to get the place?

If i were you I would get at least a week more large animal vets, and some solid time at a small animal vets. Then just bits and pieces, anything you can think of really, every little bit really does help. A wildlife rescue? cattery? exotic vets? veterinary lab? sealife centre (seals)? and i would recommend you get some equine experience, either at an equine vets or even just as a stable hand or riding for the disabled, you could also do pigs. Really the list is never ending! but dont see it as "if i dont manage all of these i'll never be a vet" just think of it as every extra thing you do complete means you might be beating someone else to an offer :-)
tigercallie
First of all, wait and see! There is absolutely no point in worrying about it now, the exams are done and you'll just have to wait, as horrible as it is.

Lots of people get rejected first time around, and you actually did quite well to get 3 interviews.

Best thing to do, wait and see what the grades are, possibly re-sit a few modules or something, but people do get in with ABB and sometimes lower, so also work on the work experience. Its not impossible, but you need to make yourself stand out.

There wont be any chance at all with clearing im afraid. Vet schools give out all their places and people who were given offers but just missed them would be first choice for any left over spaces, they won't give them to people they didnt give offers to in the first place.

There are vet schools abroad, im at one in slovakia because i couldnt afford the graduate fees in the UK (avoid the graduate route at all costs!). I should also point out that even if you do a degree first, you're still expected to have the correct A level grades, so this isnt an easier option, it means people with degrees have to go back to college too.

This is a post where people have been discussing the uni's abroad
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=843253

and another; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1234802

However, since its your first degree, it would be a lot cheaper for you to stay in the UK. I pay 6500 euros a year, which is a hell of a lot better than £20,000 in the UK, but it wouldnt be saving you money. Plus the course is 6 years.

The only thing i think you can actively do at the moment is get more work experience. Work on that now over the summer, otherwise you will be applying again with no improvement, which does not look good! So since you seem like you really want to do something about it, then build that up. Other than that you will just have to wait for results day, but like i said before A LOT of people have to apply a second time, and even a third time, but they get there in the end! Good luck!

I was initially rejected by bristol (after being put on hold for ages) and was told they would keep my name to the side if there were any spare places on results day, and low and behold, I got offered a place! There's about 5 in my year that got in this way.
If one of the places you got interviewed at was Bristol, what score were you given? And were you initially put on hold?

Latest

Trending

Trending