The Student Room Group

Books for Sociology degree - what editions?

I'm going to Bath uni in Sept and on open day was given a list of recommended reading. Do you think it is important for me to buy the editions recommended, or to buy newer editions which have been revised. I don't want to get useless old ones and at the same time newer editions may mean I'm not on the same wavelength as other students with the editions listed.

What do I dooooooooooooooooooo? :woo:

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm doing a different degree at a different university, but I went ahead and bought the 3rd edition of one of my textbooks as opposed to the 2nd edition that was on my list. I think it depends on how different the latest edition is. The textbook I bought just had extra exercises, two new chapters and a revised glossary. I'm guessing the only 'disadvantage' you'll have for buying a different edition is that your page numbers may not correspond to everybody else's in the class! Go for the latest copy; older editions are often a lot more expensive.
Reply 2
Cool. I'll go for a latest edition.

thanks
Don't buy the uni textbooks. Most often they're written by the lecturers themselves for a bit of extra money. All those books are in the university library. I didn't buy a single textbook this year and got firsts in all my essays.

If you want to get ahead during the summer then go to your own local library. Only buy one or two books for yourself, But don't spend hundreds of pounds on it.
My first uni (goldsmiths) said it would be 'really beneficial' for me to buy loads of books, I spent about £120 on books and they never appeared ONCE on the course.... and surprise surprise, they were all written by the lecturers, a bit of extra money for them eh?
tobyguy
I'm going to Bath uni in Sept and on open day was given a list of recommended reading. Do you think it is important for me to buy the editions recommended, or to buy newer editions which have been revised. I don't want to get useless old ones and at the same time newer editions may mean I'm not on the same wavelength as other students with the editions listed.

What do I dooooooooooooooooooo? :woo:

Thanks

I'm going to study Sociology too, but I havent been given a list of recommended reading? :confused: just out of interest, what's the book called?
Oh and DON'T BUY HARALAMBOS AND HOLBORN. DON'T DO IT. NO.

At the first week of term at Warwick, in my very first seminar the tutor told us to burn it!
Reply 6
thanks for the advice. I already have one of these from college.

Why is it such a bad thing to have - too simplistic or something?
tobyguy
thanks for the advice. I already have one of these from college.

Why is it such a bad thing to have - too simplistic or something?

Yeah, it's good for skimming to introduce you to a topic, but won't go into any more depth than the lecture you just had on it or a quick scan of wikipedia will give you. By all means, if you own a copy then bring it with you, but it's not that useful :P

I found a copy of it in Waterstones reduced from £35 to £5, I thought "Bargain!" and took it to uni with me, and then the teacher specifically slated it in the introductory seminar hehe, I felt so ashamed!!! It hasn't really helped me in the first year though, just repeated what was in the lectures :P

I think perhaps the one book I might have bought would have been Alan Bryman's Social Research Methods, as that will come in handy for all three years for both the theory modules and as a reference for doing practical work.
Reply 8
screenager2004
Oh and DON'T BUY HARALAMBOS AND HOLBORN. DON'T DO IT. NO.

At the first week of term at Warwick, in my very first seminar the tutor told us to burn it!

My college tutor told my class to buy that one. she said uni's didnt like because it spelled things out for the students and they didnt need to do a lot o their own thinking... is that the only reason?
sbarrie2
My college tutor told my class to buy that one. she said uni's didnt like because it spelled things out for the students and they didnt need to do a lot o their own thinking... is that the only reason?

It is perhaps 10% that reason, but mostly because the work you are expected to produce at degree level is far higher than in Haralambos. If Haralambos 'spelled it out for you' and you did an essay from what it told you, you'd scrape a 2.2, it's too simplistic for degree level, and doesn't do much more than point out the obvious.
Reply 10
Thanks for the tips. I have bought a few other books the the Uni advised, but only second hand (like 3 or 4 quid) from Amazon, and I haven't gone overboard by buying loads of books.
Reply 11
Honestly, it's best to wait until you start your course to start buying loads of books. Buy the main textbook recommended and then decided once you're there if you need to actually buy the rest.
Reply 12
Bexxxx
Honestly, it's best to wait until you start your course to start buying loads of books. Buy the main textbook recommended and then decided once you're there if you need to actually buy the rest.

Good idea. I won't get more until I start the course.

Latest