The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I agree with the OP, most of us are doomed unless we are exceptionally lucky or exceptional in our ability.

:frown:
Mithra
So basically you are basing all of this stuff off your own prediction that the tories will put us into another recession?

I'm basing it on the Treasury's predictions that 1.3 million jobs will disappear over the Parliament.

If the economy booms and there are more opportunities then great. But you have to wonder why the Tories are not being a bit more upbeat, why tell us that we are in the most dire situation since the war and we are facing 'decades of pain'.
Reply 22
MagicNMedicine
I'm basing it on the Treasury's predictions that 1.3 million jobs will disappear over the Parliament.

If the economy booms and there are more opportunities then great. But you have to wonder why the Tories are not being a bit more upbeat, why tell us that we are in the most dire situation since the war and we are facing 'decades of pain'.

At a guess probably because they aren't Labour and are trying to vaguely tell us the truth to prepare us, rather than claiming everything is fine whilst pumping borrowed money into everything.
Also interesting to see the standard responses on here "you're exaggerating, it will be alright in the end". Sounds very much like the attitude when the doom-mongers were warning about the "unsustainable housing bubble" or "unsustainable debt mountain" in around 2005/06. There were plenty who scoffed at that then and predicted that everything would be fine in the end.

The reality is this recession has taught harsh lessons to businesses and the public sector - ie you need to run on vastly streamlined business models with fewer employees. It has also taught harsh lessons to consumers - don't borrow, don't spend, save for a rainy day. The combination of those two facts does not lend itself to employment.
Reply 24
RBarack
I'm bilingual (English and Chinese)
Doing a Civil Engineering degree, averaging a 2.1, just finished my first year.
Plenty of extra-curricular activities, also an athlete.

Currently seriously contemplating a work placement year between years 2 and 3 - either in finance/management/IB/consultancy, or just engineering.

Assuming I secure at least a 2.1, hopefully i'll be fine when I graduate with a bachelor in 2013 or masters in 2014. =/

Hopefully :smile:
It IS hard to get jobs nowadays, you just have to be prepared to take ANYTHING until what you really want comes along. And, dare I say it, take some voluntary work to get some work experience. It's certainly not impossible to get a job, you just have to be practical and realistic.
Reply 26
lol op dont buy into the propaganda, job situation is fine and economy is recovering well, threads like this just service to scare nothing constructive at all
Reply 27
I guess only solution is suicide en masse, reduce numbers of people, more jobs for all remaining alive!
Agree with what you say OP. Most people are quite complacent about it and assume it'll work out fine, but I really think times are going to get much tougher.
Oh man! It's gonna be like the eighties all over again! Woo! :awesome:

But seriously, I'm not looking forward to post-uni. Will not be fun. I can't even find a job now, and I'm at the higher end of further education grades.
AlexFold
lol op dont buy into the propaganda, job situation is fine and economy is recovering well, threads like this just service to scare nothing constructive at all

It's not propaganda that the government is cutting back most departments by 25%. That is something which has never been done before on anything like that scale and it will lead to a huge impact on the level of employment on the economy.

As for the job situation being fine, why have there been record levels of graduates unable to find work.....?
Reply 31
Yeah, it's pretty scary stuff. I've got a job in a law firm for my gap year and I'm thinking of going into that area partly because it's what I know. Not that I hate it, but in this climate you have to be pragmatic and I don't think it's going to be great 4 years from now. I know if I stick with this I can do pretty well.
Now now, have you been reading the Guardian?

In Guido we trust: http://order-order.com/2010/06/30/odd-jobbing-from-larry-elliott/

We need to shrink a public sector over-bloated with non-jobs. They need to be shifted to the public sector, that's all that's happening.
Reply 33
I would note that the new budget has done wonders for the exchange rates so clearly some people think it will work :p:.
Reply 34
Mithra
I would note that the new budget has done wonders for the exchange rates so clearly some people think it will work :p:.

Really? The pound/dollar is the same as pre election and the euro has weakened against everything. So how do you work that out?
My decision to jump off a cliff has been vindicated.
I'm just glad I already have excellent levels of familiarity with unemployment.
Shortarse1

We need to shrink a public sector over-bloated with non-jobs. They need to be shifted to the public sector, that's all that's happening.

Wake up and live in the real world. We aren't talking about a 1-2% cut in diversity and equality managers, we are talking about 25% cuts across the board. This means staff at all levels, from front line, to management, will need to be shed. The private sector won't go on a mass recruitment drive to pick them all up at a time when the economy is stumbling along at 0%, 1-2% growth or recession.
MagicNMedicine
Wake up and live in the real world. We aren't talking about a 1-2% cut in diversity and equality managers, we are talking about 25% cuts across the board. This means staff at all levels, from front line, to management, will need to be shed. The private sector won't go on a mass recruitment drive to pick them all up at a time when the economy is stumbling along at 0%, 1-2% growth or recession.

Are you trying to find an excuse for not being able to find a job/work experience?
Shortarse1
Now now, have you been reading the Guardian?

In Guido we trust: http://order-order.com/2010/06/30/odd-jobbing-from-larry-elliott/

No, economic forecasts suggest that the public sector AND private sector will both shrink in the next 5 years to the tune of 1.2 million less jobs total between the two.

I mean I'd love to do voluntary work for the rest of my life, but I need money at the same time.

Latest

Trending

Trending