The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Spec A Psychology question

These are the sections I will be studying that my teacher has set.

unit 3..
- relationships
- eating behaviours
-gender development

unit 4..
- schizophrenia
- addictive pschology
-research methodology

Can anyone tell me whether these are the easiest/interesting ones??

Do you reccomend studying more than this so in the exam I will be able to answer another chapter in case these questions are really hard or is that too much work?

ALSO ALSO ALSO, for an A* at A2 level, do you need 90 ums + in both unit 3 and 4 or a 90 average across unit 3 and 4.

Eg, is unit 3- 100 and unit 4- 80 A* or would it be unit 3-91 unit 4-93.

Ty xx

TY
Reply 1
I would reccomend Schizophrenia. Relationships can be OK at times, but thats just my opinion. Also, research methods is compulsory, and the most irritating of all the topics in my opinions.
Reply 2
Funnily enough your unit 3 topics are identical to what I did. I think they're the best especially relationships/eating
For UNIT4 RM is necessary but apart from that the rest are optional I did schizo and media...I enjoyed schizo and it was so straightforward to learn just 5 sections (classification and diagnosis + Bio and psycho explanations + Bio and psycho therapy). For the 2nd topic my teacher chose Media which was again really good and the questions can be good sometimes (e.g. the unit4 paper sat yesterday was really good).

To get an A* in any A-level....you need to average A* in the A2 units only and average an A grade in the whole A-level (AS + A2).
E.g. I got 100 in unit 1 and 96 in unit 2 that gives me a total of 196 in AS and I only got 90% in unit 3 (flopped I know). This means I need to get 90% again to get an A*...But to get a simple A I need to pretty much fail the exam, harsh I know...If I get 89 UMS in the unit 4 paper I will end up.....:sad:

I like +rep, so don't be shy.
unit 3..
- relationships: hated it. just social psych, common sense, psycho rubbish stuff. i love psychology, but cant stand analysising normal social behaviours with simplistic theories! in my humble opinion. however, some of the evolutionary stuff is quite intersting.. probably cos im a sciencey person :P
- eating behaviours: didnt do it, did sleep instead which is very intersting.
-gender development: loved this, really interesting (apart from some of the social stuff)

unit 4..
- schizophrenia: very, very intersting. just note that the books tell you it very simplistically! then again, i did my extended project on it so i know quite alot, found the books a bit fustrating though.
- addictive pschology: didnt do it, but it definatly looks the most intersting out of the options. i did media psych, which wasnt that good.
-research methodology: boring, tedious and easy, but very very important for psychology and science in general

have funnn
Reply 4
We got taught 4 topics for unit 3 so we had a choice in the exam.
I enjoyed eating behaviours, I thought it was really interesting.
Relationships wasn't too bad, my teacher was really boring but I enjoyed the topic.
I think schizophrenia is good too!
I did prefer the media psychology unit but that might be because I do media studies too so I'm interested in it.