The Student Room Group

Preparing for Access To Sciences course

Hi. Just recently I've been accepted to Access to Sciences at Farnborough College to do full-time over the extent of 1 year. By next year I'm hoping to be at a good University, (or at least half decent) studying a degree in Psychology.

I would like input from anyone here with experience in either doing Psychology as an undergrad or doing the Access To Sciences on my small worry... Which is: Will I have any chance of getting into a decent uni with just this course alone?

Also, I'd like to know of any ways I could prepare for these subjects: Psychology, Chemistry, Biology and Environmental Studies. Bare in mind that I'm willing to do as much preparation as possible (I'd rather not dive into this course unprepared)

I would greatly appreciate any general advice anyone can give me for my (undoubtedly) hard year to come, and maybe hear from other people who are doing the same course as me (I'm incredibly nervous lol). Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!

edit: Not sure how much weight this holds. But in preparation for Psychology as an undergrad I've read a few books; including Understanding Psychology by Nicky Hayes and The Man Who Mistook His wife by Olivier Sacks.
Reply 1
It depends on what modules you have mate, is it via OCR? I only did Chem and Bio out of those so I can tell you what we did but it will prob be different next year.
Reply 2
Zinfandel
It depends on what modules you have mate, is it via OCR? I only did Chem and Bio out of those so I can tell you what we did but it will prob be different next year.

I'm pretty sure (I'm not absolutely certain as I've literally only just been accepted) it's with OCR, yeah.

Yeah, that would be cool, I mean even if it isn't OCR it would give me a vague basis on the kind of stuff I'd be learning and what to expect, right?

Also, aside from doing preparation for subjects, (sorry for swarming you with questions haha) is there any general advice you can give me to help me survive through the year?

Edit: I have here (wall of text incoming) on the course information page that Chem covers Atomic Structure and Fundamental Concepts, MOLES, bonding, REDOX, metals and metal compounds, acids and bases, organic chemistry and theromochemistry and equilibrium. While Bio covers the tissues, transport systems within the body, nutrition and respiration, homeostasis, genetics, human disease and disorders and the body's response to those problems.
Reply 3
j0nnn
Quoted just so it shows up in "who's quoted me

That's not a wall of text.

This is a wall of text!

The best pieces of advice I could offer are 1. Stay on top of things. Sometimes you'll get hit with four essays in one week, if you're anything like me (which I hope you're not) you might think "HOLY **** WHAT THE CRAP DO I DO NOW!?!?!". Just stay calm and stay organised, work on one essay at a time and just be methodical in your approach.

2. Actually learn the stuff. I'm a massive advocate of access courses and think they are excellent, but I do think it's possible to get through them with a pass without truly learning the material just going through books and regurgitating the material in a fashion of your own, ultimately you're only cheating yourself if this is what you do (not that I'm saying you will, but I know some on our course did). Put everything you have into every essay you're assigned and get it in on time.

As for your second question, it actually seems reasonably similar to what I did so here goes.

All of this is just a very brief overview by the way.

The main thing to take from this is that 10 months ago I didn't know what ANY of this stuff meant, and if I can do it, anyone can!

Atomic Structure and Fundamental Concepts, I should expect this will be the first unit you do and will be a basic introduction into chemistry. Structure of the atom is as it says, what makes up an atom so will likely focus on protons, neutrons, electrons, electron configuration, a basic grasp of the information on a periodic table. Fundamental Concepts will be as it says on the box, things like Avogadro's Law, Pauli Exclusion Principle and thermodynamics. We also did some work on molecular geometry in this unit. This unit should also give you a firm base in the language of chemistry, essentially learning what all the numbers mean, where they go and what they depict.

Moles will be about moles, oddly enough. You may do some titration experiments and try to work out the number of moles in a given substance but the main thing you'll probably focus on in this is working out Moles/mass/molecular mass. Essentially working out how much stuff you have!

Bonding will cover the various types of molecular bonds, ionic, covalent, electron sharing, polar/non polar molecules and hydrogen bonding.

REDOX is reduction and oxidisation reactions, basically where the oxidisation state changes in a reaction.

Organic will look at things like alkanes/alkenes and aromatic rings, organic chem is quite broad so you could be doing lots of stuff here.

Thermochemistry looks at the amount of energy exchanged/produced in a given reaction and will probably contain some work on enthalpy, equilibrium will just look at things like dynamic equilibriums which is... difficult to explain without having a decent grasp of the earlier topics!

As for your bio stuff...

Tissues will look at the different type of tissue/muscle in the body, the reason it's there and its structure/how it works (in the case of muscle).

Transport looks at the way things are moved around the body (in the blood for example) this might take in things like gas exchange also.

Nutrition and respiration is pretty much as is, the way your body processes food and the roles of the organs that are involved, you'll look at things like enzymes and the fluids involved with digestion probably.

Homeostasis is about the regulation of conditions within the body... This was covered over separate things for us so at a punt it could be about kidneys/sections of the brain responsible/endocrine system etc...

Genetics will probably look at things like DNA, genetic variation and genetic conditions, chromosomes, types of cell division (meiosis) perhaps, continuous and discontinuous variation... We also did work on protein syntheses.

Human disease and disorder is again as it says on the tin. It'll look at the body, pathogens and how the body deals with them, things like primary and secondary response, memory/B/T cells and how they work...

Off the top of my head I'm sure cell structure and operation, osmosis and such other things within biology will be covered.

I did biology and extended biology and had the same tutor for both, so I cannot in any way remember what's considered normal biology and what's considered extended biology haha!

Anyway like I say, reading that 10 months ago I wouldn't have had any clue what any of that meant, so if you understand some of it you're doing better than I was, if you don't understand any of it, don't worry, you will in 12 months :wink:.

Just ask if you've any more questions dude.

Cheers

Ash
Reply 4
Oh my only other piece of advice, study a proper science!

*runs from the social science folk*
Reply 5
Zinfandel
That's not a wall of text.

This is a wall of text!

The best pieces of advice I could offer are 1. Stay on top of things. Sometimes you'll get hit with four essays in one week, if you're anything like me (which I hope you're not) you might think "HOLY **** WHAT THE CRAP DO I DO NOW!?!?!". Just stay calm and stay organised, work on one essay at a time and just be methodical in your approach.

2. Actually learn the stuff. I'm a massive advocate of access courses and think they are excellent, but I do think it's possible to get through them with a pass without truly learning the material just going through books and regurgitating the material in a fashion of your own, ultimately you're only cheating yourself if this is what you do (not that I'm saying you will, but I know some on our course did). Put everything you have into every essay you're assigned and get it in on time.

As for your second question, it actually seems reasonably similar to what I did so here goes.

All of this is just a very brief overview by the way.

The main thing to take from this is that 10 months ago I didn't know what ANY of this stuff meant, and if I can do it, anyone can!

Atomic Structure and Fundamental Concepts, I should expect this will be the first unit you do and will be a basic introduction into chemistry. Structure of the atom is as it says, what makes up an atom so will likely focus on protons, neutrons, electrons, electron configuration, a basic grasp of the information on a periodic table. Fundamental Concepts will be as it says on the box, things like Avogadro's Law, Pauli Exclusion Principle and thermodynamics. We also did some work on molecular geometry in this unit. This unit should also give you a firm base in the language of chemistry, essentially learning what all the numbers mean, where they go and what they depict.

Moles will be about moles, oddly enough. You may do some titration experiments and try to work out the number of moles in a given substance but the main thing you'll probably focus on in this is working out Moles/mass/molecular mass. Essentially working out how much stuff you have!

Bonding will cover the various types of molecular bonds, ionic, covalent, electron sharing, polar/non polar molecules and hydrogen bonding.

REDOX is reduction and oxidisation reactions, basically where the oxidisation state changes in a reaction.

Organic will look at things like alkanes/alkenes and aromatic rings, organic chem is quite broad so you could be doing lots of stuff here.

Thermochemistry looks at the amount of energy exchanged/produced in a given reaction and will probably contain some work on enthalpy, equilibrium will just look at things like dynamic equilibriums which is... difficult to explain without having a decent grasp of the earlier topics!

As for your bio stuff...

Tissues will look at the different type of tissue/muscle in the body, the reason it's there and its structure/how it works (in the case of muscle).

Transport looks at the way things are moved around the body (in the blood for example) this might take in things like gas exchange also.

Nutrition and respiration is pretty much as is, the way your body processes food and the roles of the organs that are involved, you'll look at things like enzymes and the fluids involved with digestion probably.

Homeostasis is about the regulation of conditions within the body... This was covered over separate things for us so at a punt it could be about kidneys/sections of the brain responsible/endocrine system etc...

Genetics will probably look at things like DNA, genetic variation and genetic conditions, chromosomes, types of cell division (meiosis) perhaps, continuous and discontinuous variation... We also did work on protein syntheses.

Human disease and disorder is again as it says on the tin. It'll look at the body, pathogens and how the body deals with them, things like primary and secondary response, memory/B/T cells and how they work...

Off the top of my head I'm sure cell structure and operation, osmosis and such other things within biology will be covered.

I did biology and extended biology and had the same tutor for both, so I cannot in any way remember what's considered normal biology and what's considered extended biology haha!

Anyway like I say, reading that 10 months ago I wouldn't have had any clue what any of that meant, so if you understand some of it you're doing better than I was, if you don't understand any of it, don't worry, you will in 12 months :wink:.

Just ask if you've any more questions dude.

Cheers

Ash

Awesome man. I vaguely remember a couple of topics (not much at all) but I'm sure it will all come flooding back as I progress :smile:

I've taken your advice on-board, and as long as I work my butt off I'm sure i'll be okay.

One last question, is there ANY books I can read in preparation? (by books I mean things like AS Level Biology/Chem study guides etc) Would it be better to just wait?
Reply 6
j0nnn
Awesome man. I vaguely remember a couple of topics (not much at all) but I'm sure it will all come flooding back as I progress :smile:

I've taken your advice on-board, and as long as I work my butt off I'm sure i'll be okay.

One last question, is there ANY books I can read in preparation? (by books I mean things like AS Level Biology/Chem study guides etc) Would it be better to just wait?

10th edition. Spain Waugh, A. Grant, A. 2006. Ross and Wilson Anatomy and Physiology in health and illness: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier.

Lararoff, A. 2004. The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Anatomy & Physiology 1st Edition. New York. Penguin Group USA

Kent, D 2000. Advanced Biology, Oxford university press.

I particularly reccoment Anatomy and Physiology (pretty much my bible) which is much more matter of fact about thing than the dummies guide.

Hill, G. Hunt, A (2008) OCR Chemistry for AS. London: Hodder Education

That's perfect for chemistry.

But yes, any of those would be fine but definitely I'd suggest Anatomy and Physiology and the OCR Chem for AS

Latest

Trending

Trending