The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
going for course .. Msc Advanced Computer science............
now?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Do we even have computers up in St. Andrews? hmmm I thought they were only installing the electricity in a few years.
Reply 22
It's half an hour out of Dundee, but from my visit I would say that St. Andrews is suited best to a specific type of person; coming from a small town in England's most rural country I'm used to there not being much around me. I like quietness, I abhor nightclubs (about four hours in Newcastle city centre is enough to put you off for life) and I adore all the tradition and ancient architecture that makes me fell like I'm part of history. Of course, this isn't for everyone. Me, I don't mind having one supermarket and not much else. But in the end, you don't go for the town; you go for the experiences you will have there, the people you will meet (and with such a diverse population - around 1/3 of students non-EU born - Wikipedia - imagine the cultural exchange!) and the degree you'll hopefully come out with at the end. A university is there to shape you as a person and I can't think of many better places than St. Andrews with so much experience in shaping well-rounded individuals, no matter what the town is like.
Reply 23
or indeed if you've lived in London all your life it might well suit you, i wouldn't say it's suited to a specific type of person, there is no 'st andrews type'
Reply 24
To be honest, i have not visited there yet because i will be applying for 2011, but the general consencus is a pretty average town with a few shops, supermarket, a few pubs and maybe a few nicer bars and resturants. Personally, this appeals to me because i will be less tempted to go off to gatecrasher ect.. and blow all my money when i should be revising. On the other hand the social situation is not as dire as some people make it out to be, Dundee has decent nightlife and is only 13 miles away, a bus there and taxi back won't cost much between a few of you (would gess about £20 so £5 between four of you), and for days out, Edinborugh is not that far away, with a train link five miles from the university.

Also, its university, there will be plenty of parties.
Reply 25
St Andrews is a wonderful place and an excellent university.

It's not for everyone - if you want to live in a big city then clearly it's not for you. But if you want to live in a unique, magical town and go to one of the best universities in Britain then I think you might like it. It's hard to express just what a brilliant place it is - the beaches, the sea, the ruins of the castle and cathedral, the light, the countryside, the weather and the sense of history combine to make it utterly unique. You should definitely visit to see what you make of it. Depending on where you are it's probably quite a long journey - but this is a big decision and you should see the place before you make it.

St Andrews isn't just another university town - it leaves a real mark on you, and you stay a St Andrews Person for the rest of your life. Most people miss the place intensely long after they've moved on.
Reply 26
LGF92 - I think there are three supermarkets actually (maybe four) :smile: The shopping is limited, as you'd expect, but Dundee is close and Edinburgh close enough. Nightlife: there are no nightclubs, but again that's what Dundee & Edinburgh are there for. Large numbers of students make the journey to both every Friday and Saturday. And there are always parties going on, some of them massive. If you like going out then you shouldn't worry about going to St As.
Reply 27
robstas
LGF92 - I think there are three supermarkets actually (maybe four) :smile: The shopping is limited, as you'd expect, but Dundee is close and Edinburgh close enough. Nightlife: there are no nightclubs, but again that's what Dundee & Edinburgh are there for. Large numbers of students make the journey to both every Friday and Saturday. And there are always parties going on, some of them massive. If you like going out then you shouldn't worry about going to St As.

definetly 4 supermarkets... the lizard's kind of a nightclub(ish)
Reply 28
I only saw Tesco when I was there, this has heartened me more...what are the other three?
Tesco, Aldi, Morrisons and I guess Nisa but I've heard that it's closing and is going to be replaced by an H&M.
Reply 30
Thank God there's an Aldi. There's one right next to where I live and my diet is based around what I can get from there. :biggrin:
Reply 31
LGF92
Thank God there's an Aldi. There's one right next to where I live and my diet is based around what I can get from there. :biggrin:

the caveat is that it's miles out of town..
Reply 32
Sambo2
the caveat is that it's miles out of town..

Rats! Although I am getting transferred in my place of work to Cupar, so I'll be heading westward anyway. :P
Reply 33
LGF92
Rats! Although I am getting transferred in my place of work to Cupar, so I'll be heading westward anyway. :P

i was kind of being sarcastic.. it's only about 10 mins, but for someone who was in a central hall last year, that's a long way for st a's..
Wrong direction for Cupar really, unless you want to go on a weird route via the windy back roads.
Reply 35
yodude888
Do we even have computers up in St. Andrews? hmmm I thought they were only installing the electricity in a few years.

We have an army of hamsters (and Perry the guinea pig) powering a generator. And all emails involve a highland cow somewhere along their journey.
Bucky!
We have an army of hamsters (and Perry the guinea pig) powering a generator. And all emails involve a highland cow somewhere along their journey.

Tell Perry I say hi - he said he'd take special care with me and my torrent download tendencies

Latest

Trending

Trending