The Student Room Group

First years! Job or not?

Poll

Will you be trying to get a job in your first year?

Well I'll (hopefully) be going to university in September and I will be transferring from my job (generic chain store) to another branch in Swansea. To be honest, I don't want to work. I'd much rather not have to work as I'm already working all summer and should save up about £4000 before going.
So I just wanted to gage opinions.

Any other first years going with or with the intention of getting a job in their first year?
Reply 1
yeah i had a job in my first year, only worked weekend though so i got to go out basically every night i wanted to, and believe me you will need the extra money
i never worked at any point in the entire three years. job dodging is for winners.
Reply 3
Whilst on my original photography degree I worked 25 hours a week which pretty much ate up all my free time. It was good for getting a little bundle of cash in the savings account (that I promptly spent on the gap year). Applied for a few jobs at the start of the new degree but after seeing how improved my grades were without working pretty much decided working was for summer time only, even if it means a distinct lack of job security. I'm lucky in that in addition to student loans I get a full bursary because my father has such a low paying job, so work is purely to pay for luxuries.
Reply 4
I work at hospital and plan to for the duration of my degree - I need to..to keep up with rent/bills.
I think you should probably still get a casual job. Money runs out fast at university and first year could be the only time you can get a job depending on how demanding your course is. I'm starting second year and had to get a job but I'm just wishing I'd gotten one in summer or even in first year in the first place! Its the year where you can take on more hours because your degree won't really count as much as it will in the following years and anyway is £4000 really gonna last you all three years? You could always end up saving up for a gap year or something....
I've just finished A Levels and I have a '6' hour job but it usually ended up being 12 hours or more. I think it really affected my january exams as I was working every saturday and sunday in december, whilst trying to do coursework and revise. I also think it's affected these exams in June as well. It's been nice having money and I like my job but 6 hours on a saturday and sunday does actually take loads of time out of when I could have been working. I'm not sure if I want a job when I'm in uni. I'll have more free time in uni, but I think I'm gonna be okay for money in the first year. And if I end up resitting my A Levels this year I'm gonna have to quit my saturday job. I can do my easter holidays job and work the odd weekend, but every saturday is gonna be too much.
Reply 7
i didn't bother

If you are getting a student loan then i wouldn't bother (esp with 4 grand in the bank too :O) i only had like £300 and my student loan, all of which went on halls tho, oh and my overdraft :P
Buy yes only if you need it.

I had a weekend job which went on hobbies as i dont like going out drinking. I hoping to have a job though my second year but will propely not have one in my third year unless its a uni job.

Having something weekend/casual will help you in your first year espicially with your bills and rent and also to help you with over the summer. If you have the money budget it in to help you.
I got a job towards the end of first year - just to secure it for the summer. I wouldn't recommend working during your studies if you don't have to.
Reply 10
I had a weekend job at Tesco (1pm-10pm every Saturday). Whilst the money helped with travelling, I wished I applied for a loan instead. I'm studying Architecture which is considered to be the most demanding and time consuming degree. Out of around 20 people I know at the Uni on my course, not one of them had a job or intend to get a job at all when they are studying. Plus, these students were getting lower grades than me and having more time on there hands! (lazy, night-time clubbers basically, who had parents to pay for it all).

If you don't HAVE to work, I probably wouldn't. If you can manage work and Uni, then definitely work, the money is worth it....
Reply 11
I've been told I could transfer to another bar in Sheffield or just continue my contract at home to work in the easter and summer holidays. No idea what to do yet, my friends seem to have coped without jobs at uni but i'll see if my student finance gets sorted first then make my mind up probably

Latest