The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks for being so nice and understanding guys!

Yeah I did a one year work placement in my third year of uni so thats something nice to put on my cv :smile:

x
Reply 21
jessypoo
Hi guys,
I've just recieved my 2.1 grade for my BA Business Studiess degree and I feel very disappointed :frown:
Really worked my hardest to try get a 1st. I only went out once every two weeks so I could do my studies! I got a 1st in 3 modules, a high 2.1 in a module and scraping a 2.2 in one bad module which plummeted my grade down averaging at 67.9.
I feel absolutely gutted, dont get me wrong I understand a 2.1 is a good grade, but I feel its something that is easily achieved nowadays. Even the 'dossers' on my course have managed to get a 2.1 (facebook bragging), well it seems like 80% of the course have a 2.1 or more and I feel I just have that standard grade. Am feeling pretty de-motivated now and put off doing a masters degree now! God I sound pathetic lol.

someone slap me

OK think about it this way: you know you worked your hardest to achieve this degree, and will continue to work hard to get where you want to be. You're going to progress a heck of a lot faster than the dossers who scraped 2:1's as, while on paper they look kind of good, they aren't going to be handed promotions on a plate from just 2 nights of cramming are they?
jessypoo
Thanks for the encouragement.
Just abit bummed as I am a Sheffield Hallam student, which doesnt have the greatest of reputations. Think am even more annoyed that the 'bummers' scraped through a 2.1 so on paper I they have the same grade as me. Sorry if that sounds so snobby!
Looking to do a Business Management masters at Sheffield University, they have asked for a 2.1 but am questioning my abilities now as I really thought I could had got a 1st...
Nevermind, will apply for it and see how it goes.

x

You don't know until you try. As people have said, 2.1 is still a good grade, and it was only really that module that let you down. And since you feel so disappointed about it, that could give you the motivation to carry on and try and improve. Maybe work on your weakest areas in your own time to boost your confidence a little.
Still go for the masters, it'll give you that extra knowledge and experience that the "bummers" might not get. And as long as you are enthusiastic about the subject and course then they, and potential employers, should be able to see that. There could be people with a first that look good on paper but lack that something in person.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 23
noodles!
OK think about it this way: you know you worked your hardest to achieve this degree, and will continue to work hard to get where you want to be. You're going to progress a heck of a lot faster than the dossers who scraped 2:1's as, while on paper they look kind of good, they aren't going to be handed promotions on a plate from just 2 nights of cramming are they?

Really good point. The work ethic you will have developed from hard study will be invaluable in later life, whereas the dossers will find the transition to working life really difficult. :smile:
Jelkin
Really good point. The work ethic you will have developed from hard study will be invaluable in later life, whereas the dossers will find the transition to working life really difficult. :smile:

:yep: :yep: v v true indeed . .
Seriously 2:1 is a still a good grade, stop worrying about it.

Seriously, I know our subjects are completely different (some even say, its easy... pfft, what do they know) I scraped a 2:2 imagine the disappointment I felt... and I never went out, 100% of my focus was on my work. But I still managed to get a job, in one of the most competitive industries straight after (which I didn't even apply for, score!). Quicker than the people who got 2:1s and firsts.

You can't really do anything now, just look forward and make the most of all the opportunities that come your way.
yes i don't know how it is possible, i sometimes feel putting in more work, leads to lower marks somehow in the exam, $£%^ markers
btw don't loose heart, grades aren't what defines you, you need discipline and motivation which you seem to have
Reply 28
jessypoo
Thanks for the encouragement.
Just abit bummed as I am a Sheffield Hallam student, which doesnt have the greatest of reputations. Think am even more annoyed that the 'bummers' scraped through a 2.1 so on paper I they have the same grade as me. Sorry if that sounds so snobby!
Looking to do a Business Management masters at Sheffield University, they have asked for a 2.1 but am questioning my abilities now as I really thought I could had got a 1st...
Nevermind, will apply for it and see how it goes.

x

Well, you were pretty close anyway, and it's a pretty subjective subject too. Another examiner and you would have had a first.
Reply 29
Thanks, these replies are really making me feel better. But you guys do have a point, its made me even more determinated to work harder in my masters and get a merit!

Crystal, when I was reading your post you reminded me of my cousin instantly, shes a graphic designer and got a 2.2 at nottingham trent but shes doing VERY well for herself, quite cool you're also a graphic designer from notts trent :smile:

x
jessypoo
@alex, yeah those were my final exams for my undergrad degree. Yeah thats how I feel. I put in twice as much effort as the majority of the 2.1 gainers on my course, the everyday piss up students. Feel like ive let myself down majorly!

I don't know how it works at Sheffield Hallam, but I've been told that potential employers tend to ask for our university transcripts, which includes all the marks you got in each paper, so if that's the case for you as well they'll be able to see that you got a high 2.1 as opposed to just scraping it. :smile:
Reply 31
But yeah, grades arnt everything. On my placement me and my boss were responsible for hiring the next placement student, dont think we looked at grades at all, we based our decision on thier personality (and looks for my boss :wink:

Hopefully this will just blow over soon!

x
Reply 32
Pfft, you're upset with a 2:1? :lolwut:

I'm pleased with my 2:2 tbh...
noodles!

They might do? Getting a mark less than 10 points higher than these people hardly proves that she's going to be a better employee at whatever she does. :s-smilie:
Reply 34
jessypoo
Hi guys,
I've just recieved my 2.1 grade for my BA Business Studiess degree and I feel very disappointed :frown:
Really worked my hardest to try get a 1st. I only went out once every two weeks so I could do my studies! I got a 1st in 3 modules, a high 2.1 in a module and scraping a 2.2 in one bad module which plummeted my grade down averaging at 67.9.
I feel absolutely gutted, dont get me wrong I understand a 2.1 is a good grade, but I feel its something that is easily achieved nowadays. Even the 'dossers' on my course have managed to get a 2.1 (facebook bragging), well it seems like 80% of the course have a 2.1 or more and I feel I just have that standard grade. Am feeling pretty de-motivated now and put off doing a masters degree now! God I sound pathetic lol.

someone slap me

If you enjoy your subject(s) and can afford it then do masters. Sometimes you have to accept a lower grade - it happens. By the time your masters course starts you'll be over any dissapointment you have now!
Reply 35
I totally know how you feel! This happened to me last year. Most of my modules, including my dissertation, were 1sts. There were 2 modules where if I had got a 1st instead of high 2.1s I would have got a 1st for my degree. I cried when I found out about my 2.1 and not in a good way. It just felt like all the hard work I had done was pointless cos on paper my degree looked the same as any other 2.1. Though my tutor did say that in any references they gave me they would emphasise how good a 2.1 I got which is something you should bear in mind.

I know it's totally gutting and it doesn't help when people say 'oh a 2.1 is still good don't complain' cos if you had just scraped a 2.1 you would feel you have been rewarded for your hard work whereas if you've worked really hard and just missed a 1st what you end up with doesn't fully reflect how well you did. What I will say is don't be discouraged about masters. I'm doing my masters and have straight As so am on track for distinction. There's no reason why you can't still do really well at masters. It's just pride that would be holding you back! If anything going back and doing your masters will differentiate you from those who only just scraped a 2.1. Good luck!
Reply 36
What makes it that extra bit guttering for me is that the module with the low mark was mostly a group project where 4 other people didnt pull their weight. I dont like passing the blame but I really wished it didnt contribute to my mark. After so many complaints on that module they are now re-considering changing the rules for next year.

Am so gutted that I cant go on facebook because all I see are the dosser's facebook statuses are 'WOOP WOOP 2.1 BABYYY!!!'. With a hundred comments saying 'You're so clever!'. Jeez am starting to sound really bitter here arnt I???

But really thanks everyone for the encouraging and understanding words.
I definately want to go ahead with my masters and if anything my undergrad grade has made me determined to try go for a distinction (btw I apologise I got Merit and Distinction mixed up in previous posts).

Its nice to hear some people have been in the same situation as me. Really gutted but suppose just gotta carry on! :biggrin:

x
Cheaters never prosper.
Reply 38
jessypoo
What makes it that extra bit guttering for me is that the module with the low mark was mostly a group project where 4 other people didnt pull their weight. I dont like passing the blame but I really wished it didnt contribute to my mark. After so many complaints on that module they are now re-considering changing the rules for next year.

Am so gutted that I cant go on facebook because all I see are the dosser's facebook statuses are 'WOOP WOOP 2.1 BABYYY!!!'. With a hundred comments saying 'You're so clever!'. Jeez am starting to sound really bitter here arnt I???

But really thanks everyone for the encouraging and understanding words.
I definitely want to go ahead with my masters and if anything my undergrad grade has made me determined to try go for a distinction (btw I apologise I got Merit and Distinction mixed up in previous posts).

Its nice to hear some people have been in the same situation as me. Really gutted but suppose just gotta carry on! :biggrin:

x

I'd say go for your masters. I understand what you mean about all the facebook crap, it's not fair because 2.1 is a broad grade boundary. But doing well in your masters will seperate you from the rest, then you can post the status going 'Hell yeah, look at my Masters BABY!!! :sexface: '
jessypoo
What makes it that extra bit guttering for me is that the module with the low mark was mostly a group project where 4 other people didnt pull their weight. x

That happened to me in my 2nd year; stuck with a bunch of girls who were busy partying, did a group presentation where none of them pulled their weight = we got 56 . . other two assessments for the module I got 68, which means IF the group of people I were with pulled their weight, ie got 60 - I would have finished with a 70 = First - which would have helped significantly . . .:frown:.

Tbh like some have said, progress onto your Msc . . it'll defo make you shine amongst the 'dossers' as you call them :tongue: lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending