The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
GodspeedGehenna
So why would going to A&E offer you any different advice? You're just going to piss off the staff by wasting their time.

Go back to your GP, explain how long it has been going on and follow their advice. If they think you need a scan, they will refer you on. There is absolutely no point demanding an investigation when numerous doctors think that it is not worth the time.

I've done all that.

I know A&E isn't the right place, but i;m just so frustrated and i'm running out of options of what to do.

The GP's advce is do stretches take pain killers, which I explain i've been doing but they don't seem to listen. The first one I saw said i'd just sprained it and another one said I had plantar fasciitis, which isn't the case.
Go back to your GP, sit down, and refuse to move until you get a referral.
Kash:)
Should I go to the hospital. I have this problem with my foot/ankle and it's really effecting me.

i can't go out, I struggle to walk places. Been like this for 6 months. I've had this for about 5 years, sometimes it's okay, but I can always feel it.

I have been to the GP. I went in Febuary and she said it was just a sprain. I tried to explain to her that it wasn't, but she seemed to just ignore everything.

I went back again after 2 weeks, like I was told, saw another GP and he told me to do some stretches, which I said that I already do, he seemd to ignore that and said i'd be fine in no time.

I went back 2 weeks later and I was referred to a physio.

Waited a month for the physio and she told me to do stretches, exactly the same as I was doing before and the same as the GP had told me to do. She said come back in 3 months if it continues.

I tried to explain it's been going on for ages, but she seemed to just ignore this.

It's really frustrating, I can't go out anywhere. After about 10 minutes of walking around the house/standing up I have to sit down. For about 6 months i've done no exercise and have been restricted to this ******* chair/bed. This is a continous thing but has gotten worst in these last 6 months.

if I go to hospital will they take me more seriousley.

Have you done the stretches?

A&E won't do anything except give you some painkillers.
Reply 23
No, don't go. I went to A&E with an allergic reaction(tried to go to GP/Walk in but cus I had swollen lip they wouldn't touch me). This girl went in with a "sore" back which she'd gone to her GP about but it was far from an accident OR an emergency. She had such a bad attitude about the whole situation as well and the receptionists were least to say pleased.
It may be frustrating to have this injury, just perservere with the appointments and I hope everything works out for you.
Reply 24
DiamondsAreForever
How about you go to an nhs walk in centre so it's not the same doctors or somethig?

Isn't that the same? They;re both in the sameplace.
OP maybe you're just going to have chronic pain forever. Gotta deal with it. :smile:
Reply 26
Antonious Block
On the "seen four doctors" thing. My mum visited the GP more than 10 times over a number of years before she was referred and diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

Shes just had to go through the whole thing again over the last two years before finally being referred and diagnosed with well progressed rhematoid arthritis.

Tell your GP you don't want any s*** and you're not leaving until you get a referral.

Thanks, I suppose i'll try this :smile:
Reply 27
Pay for a private physiotherapist, they'll fix you up. Unless you're certain there's a fracture in there or something similar, I wouldn't bother with A&E, they won't be able to do much.
GodspeedGehenna
There is absolutely no point demanding an investigation when numerous doctors think that it is not worth the time.

That's the advice my grandmother followed. She died of late stage metastasised cancer two weeks after being diagnosed after she was admitted to hospital following a collapse.

OP, A&E isn't really the appropriate avenue for this, but definitely go back to your GP and remain firm that you've done the things they suggested and they haven't work, you have a reason to believe something is wrong and you would like it investigated.
Reply 29
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
OP maybe you're just going to have chronic pain forever. Gotta deal with it. :smile:

5 years since i've had this accident and it has never been right since. Also have limited movement in this foot.
5 years since i've had this accident and it has never been right since. Also have limited movement in this foot.

You still haven't told us what your physio said was causing the pain and if you're doing the exercises.
The fact that you're doing no exercise on it may not be helping matters...if it's been like this for 5 months it may be less likely to need rest and more likely to need stretches (which i know you say you're doing) and strengthening by walking around on it. i know you've said it's painful, but surely the gps can give you stronger pain killers if gentle exercise is what's going to heal it.

the nhs process or referral etc takes a long time for everybody. be firm and say you want a scan and a better solution than just stretches, but take it upon yourself to try to make it better too ie by gentle exercise and walking on it a bit.

don't go to A&E, it's not an accident, or an emergency, they won't be able to offer a longterm solution because thats not what they do, and it won't get you noticed by them, you'll just be added to the 'prescribed painkillers' pile. go back to the GP.
TheSownRose
That's the advice my grandmother followed. She died of late stage metastasised cancer two weeks after being diagnosed after she was admitted to hospital following a collapse. .

I was waiting for the "my aunties brothers cousins sisters lawyer didn't pester for pointless investigations and died" anecdote. Such cases are statistically negligible compared to the number of complete time wasters who ignore medical advice and demand pointless investigations.

Your doctor went to medical school and is probably a consultant. His medical advice is probably worth listening to, especially when it it consistent with many other consultations.
Reply 33
Skycat
Pay for a private physiotherapist, they'll fix you up. Unless you're certain there's a fracture in there or something similar, I wouldn't bother with A&E, they won't be able to do much.

I would go private, but haven't got enough money.
Had to give up my job 4 months ago as I was unable to walk around/stand up for longer hours.
Hmm.. Sounds like it may be broken.
Reply 35
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
You still haven't told us what your physio said was causing the pain and if you're doing the exercises.

The physio said it was 'probably just plantar fasciitis, try doing these stretches' then she showed me the stretches, I said i've already been doing them, but she just said come back in 3 months if it's the same.

I am 100% positive it is not plantar fasciitis.
Reply 36
GodspeedGehenna
I was waiting for the "my aunties brothers cousins sisters lawyer didn't pester for pointless investigations and died" anecdote. Such cases are statistically negligible compared to the number of complete time wasters who ignore medical advice and demand pointless investigations.

Your doctor went to medical school and is probably a consultant. His medical advice is probably worth listening to, especially when it it consistent with many other consultations.

GPs are ****, everyone knows this. Yeah they'll get some of the cases right but they can't get them all. A few years ago I fractured my elbow, doctor just passed it off as a sprain but I demanded an x-ray and got physio for it, if not it would be even more messed up than it currently is.

Cases of GPs underestimating things are not a statistical anomaly, they almost always tend to go for the smallest possible thing it could be unless you really push them. Its the complete opposite to France where they'll diagnose you with about 300 diseases for treatment by walking in the door.
The physio said it was 'probably just plantar fasciitis, try doing these stretches' then she showed me the stretches, I said i've already been doing them, but she just said come back in 3 months if it's the same.

I am 100% positive it is not plantar fasciitis.

So you know more than your physiotherapist? :p:

You haven't been doing the exercises have you?
Mithra
GPs are ****, everyone knows this. Yeah they'll get some of the cases right but they can't get them all. A few years ago I fractured my elbow, doctor just passed it off as a sprain but I demanded an x-ray and got physio for it, if not it would be even more messed up than it currently is.

Cases of GPs underestimating things are not a statistical anomaly, they almost always tend to go for the smallest possible thing it could be unless you really push them. Its the complete opposite to France where they'll diagnose you with about 300 diseases for treatment by walking in the door.

Some GPs are pretty good though. I was instantly referred to physio by one GP, he didn't just pass it off as a normal pain. But I did have to see several different GPs over a course of 5 years.
Mithra

The plural of anecdote does not equal evidence etc etc..

Latest