The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
No, your better off making threads on TSR.
Go to the GP

The important bit : DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!
Reply 42
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
So you know more than your physiotherapist? :p:

You haven't been doing the exercises have you?

:shock: I have been doing the exercises.

Obv I didn't mean I know my than the physio. She asked if I get and tightness/pain in the heel, and I said yes.

however, I don;t feel any tightness around the arch and my foot usually feels fine(ish) in the morning.

I just feel she needed a name for it so she can write something down for paper work.
Reply 43
YdLeet
No, your better off making threads on TSR.

I've found this thread rather useful actually :colonhash:
Reply 44
QUESTION

How many ibuprofen is too much?

I'm going by what it's saying on the packet, but it doesn't state how long is too long to take them for.

For example over a couple of days, a couple of weeks, months etc.
I think you can take them daily. I used to take paracetamol (similar?) daily but I don't like taking any sorts of drugs anymore, so I deal with the pain.
Kash:)
:shock: I have been doing the exercises.

Obv I didn't mean I know my than the physio. She asked if I get and tightness/pain in the heel, and I said yes.

however, I don;t feel any tightness around the arch and my foot usually feels fine(ish) in the morning.

I just feel she needed a name for it so she can write something down for paper work.

Have you been doing the exercises regularly and properly? Ask for a referral back to your physio or make an appointment directly and discuss it with them. TBH Physio is the way forward with your issue but you seem to be reluctant to go back and see them about it. xx
I think ibuprofen can wear off after time (this is what I personally have found, I am no medical student).

I wouldn't recommend A+E as it's no accident or emergency and you probably will just annoy the staff.

I do sympathise though, it took me 4 trips to the GP to get recommended physiotherapy after I'd been in a car accident and could hardly walk.
Reply 48
blinkbelle
Have you been doing the exercises regularly and properly? Ask for a referral back to your physio or make an appointment directly and discuss it with them. TBH Physio is the way forward with your issue but you seem to be reluctant to go back and see them about it. xx

Well, the physio just told me the same as the GPs did, despite me keep saying I already do all those things.

I'm gonna go to the GP again tomorrow...
Well, the physio just told me the same as the GPs did, despite me keep saying I already do all those things.

I'm gonna go to the GP again tomorrow...

Yes, so go back to your physio and tell them that it's not been working for you. Do you expect them to read your mind?!
Reply 50
Should I go to the hospital. I have this problem with my foot/ankle and it's really effecting me.

i can't go out, I struggle to walk places. Been like this for 6 months. I've had this for about 5 years, sometimes it's okay, but I can always feel it.

I have been to the GP. I went in Febuary and she said it was just a sprain. I tried to explain to her that it wasn't, but she seemed to just ignore everything.

I went back again after 2 weeks, like I was told, saw another GP and he told me to do some stretches, which I said that I already do, he seemd to ignore that and said i'd be fine in no time.

I went back 2 weeks later and I was referred to a physio.

Waited a month for the physio and she told me to do stretches, exactly the same as I was doing before and the same as the GP had told me to do. She said come back in 3 months if it continues.

I tried to explain it's been going on for ages, but she seemed to just ignore this.

It's really frustrating, I can't go out anywhere. After about 10 minutes of walking around the house/standing up I have to sit down. For about 6 months i've done no exercise and have been restricted to this ******* chair/bed. This is a continous thing but has gotten worst in these last 6 months.

if I go to hospital will they take me more seriousley.

I wouldn't go to a&e as its not an accident or emergency. Go back to your GP, enforce that its really having an impact on day to day life and try and insist upon referral to an orthopaedic doctor or for a scan. Some hospitals do walk in clinics, so see if your local one does, and if you still cant get to see anyone, go to an NHS minor injuries/walk in unit, and ask to see a nurse or doctor there. From previous experience they generally refer you straight to hospital if they think you need it.
If none of that works then you could get a consultation privately and see what they think?
Its neither an accident or an emergency, A&E is for more serious injuries, or problems arising in the last 24 hrs, give or take a few. Go to your GP and demand a referral for your peace of mind.
Reply 52
blinkbelle
Yes, so go back to your physio and tell them that it's not been working for you. Do you expect them to read your mind?!

I;ve been back to the physio twice, GP 4 times.
I;ve been back to the physio twice, GP 4 times.

Did you tell them you're still having the same problems? If so, they should have changed your exercises.
Reply 54
blinkbelle
Did you tell them you're still having the same problems? If so, they should have changed your exercises.

Well, she offered me an injection for something I don't have, so I didn't take it.
She said come back in 8 weeks if it's still troubling me
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Do you have flat feet? Have you seen a podiatrist?

I have flat feet and similar things with my ankle where its like the joint disconnects and I cant stand on it properly until it settles down and aches for ages.

And I have problems with my knees much like that of OP where when I was 7 I knelt down and began screaming because I had a sudden extreme pain for months I couldnt bend it properly (had X Rays and lots of doctors in and out of the room looking at it) and they never found anything. Now I cant lay my legs out for too long without my knees getting kind of locked and having to struggle against the ache and pain to get them back to normal. Maybe there are just things they miss?

OP Youll have to be more forceful, if youve seen that many and said the same thing each time to be ignored. It took me 5 years to get an mri for something else because every time I mentioned it they just kept saying 'it probably wont show anything, you just have blah blah blah, try this medication', eventually I realised I had to say 'I want a referral for an mri' and then he just said 'sure I can arrange that'.
Well, she offered me an injection for something I don't have, so I didn't take it.

Lol we have similar experiences, I went to a community hospital for bad food poisoning and was given a prescription for heavy duty sleeping pills :rolleyes: in the end maybe demanding a referral is overdue for you?

Why would she do that? :confused:

So go back in 8 weeks if it's still troubling you. I don't understand your dilemma really..
*sigh*

Ok firstly, you ibuprofen isn't the best thing to take for more than a few days or even weeks without any other drugs alongside, it can mess up your gastric system, renal system etc

Secondly, you say you've had to quit work- now are you recieving disability benefits?

A&E will just tell you to go back to your GP

I suggest you carry on with the physio, they've done the right thing by referring you to to one- do the excercises, and keep MOBILE, if you don't use it- you lose it. Make sure you get adequate pain relief, ibuprofen won't do much really if the pain is really as bad as you say.

I am however smelling some slight exaggeration here- and a tendency to NOT want to help yourself? Seriously the best thing you can do is keep moving on that foot, and make sure you're on the right pain relief. Even if you do eventually get a referral- even the urgent ones take weeks to happen!
Jennie1987
I have flat feet and similar things with my ankle where its like the joint disconnects and I cant stand on it properly until it settles down and aches for ages.

And I have problems with my knees much like that of OP where when I was 7 I knelt down and began screaming because I had a sudden extreme pain for months I couldnt bend it properly (had X Rays and lots of doctors in and out of the room looking at it) and they never found anything. Now I cant lay my legs out for too long without my knees getting kind of locked and having to struggle against the ache and pain to get them back to normal. Maybe there are just things they miss?

OP Youll have to be more forceful, if youve seen that many and said the same thing each time to be ignored. It took me 5 years to get an mri for something else because every time I mentioned it they just kept saying 'it probably wont show anything, you just have blah blah blah, try this medication', eventually I realised I had to say 'I want a referral for an mri' and then he just said 'sure I can arrange that'.

I have HMS, my joints are absolutely messed up. Can't sit down for longer than 20 minutes, never go a day without constant pain. It took the doctors 5 years to diagnose it and I only recently got referred to physio.

Latest