The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
At the end of the day you have an oppurtunity to go to LSE which most people dream of. Your friends are only putting you down so you stay down with them and not be able to progress.
I think you should leave your friends and start fresh and make new friends as you won't fit in with them.
Reply 81
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Has anyone else realised the OP is most probably lying. This sounds like some **** from a poorly written black American sitcom. This doesn't happen in real life. I'm not saying I'm from some gutter council estate but if anything all those people will wish the OP nothing but success as people in impoverished areas love to see someone they grew up around succeed, if they resent the OP its probably because he's just a dickhead.

wow you pretentious **** if only we could all understand every person in the country like you, but then again your knowledge and wisdom must be limited to yourself.
I never said people were looking down on my success, it's actually the extreme opposite.
I said a small group of my friends were being extremely uptight about me going off to uni and said what I explained.
Next time I talk about poor people i'll be sure to run it through you yeah?
Reply 82
MJlover
Thats so sad. I live on a council estate and am going to LSE too but just got congrats? Most working class kids go to uni at my school, must be different where you live, where are you from?

Liverpool
Reply 83
As some above have commented, it's a right-wing sentiment and not a left-wing one. (What you intend to do after gaining your degree might be left-wing, but the whole point about crossing your boundary by your own hard work is right-wing. The left-wingers would just give it to you on a plate.)

That aside, how can you honestly consider these people your friends? If they were they would be happy for you. I'm sorry, but by betraying them and going to university to make new friends it sounds as if you'll be making the best decision you could ever make. Just remember never to stay in contact with these idiots once you're at university.
Reply 84
Yea...you'll get over it.
Reply 85
I find it difficult to believe that this actually happened. The worst I ever heard was a mate (from the north) making fun of my newly developed 'posh' accent.
To be honest, as most people in this thread have implied. It is obvious that they are simply jealous of your intelligence, I know some previous Year 11's who now go to a local college doing BTEC's keep bashing University people on Facebook with statuses such as "LOL, who wants to go to uni? nerds".

In the end you're going to be in a much better position than they are in the future mate, if they are getting all hyped up and trying to put you off going to Uni, ignore them, they aren't 'real' friends in my book at least!
have you read "the white tiger"?

this situation reminds me of the chicken coop analogy used in the book.

Latest

Trending

Trending