The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Modern history wise, Gandhi.

There are a lot of people who 'stood up' and it's the combined effect of these people that's important. All past major figues have been significant but without each other and each other's teachings, well.
-Inventor(s) of the wheel?
-Isaac Newton
-Abraham (aka father of the three religions)
-Hitler
-Alexander the Great
-Temujin
and so on..you can't choose on one I say because there are too many people
The breh who invented the wheel.
Reply 43
Zinfandel
The one who stood up.

seconded :smile:

maybe the one who walked upright?

Then Abraham or Aristotle :smile:
louis pasteur
Newton, Churchill, Napoleon, Alexander the Great, Aristotle... lots and lots and lots could be

Would say any of the prophets though, I'm not religious, and personally think "prophets" were an inevitable invention of our culture and need to assess ourselves against a higher state of being...

Not really its Timmy Mallet :biggrin:
BookWormShanti
seconded :smile:

maybe the one who walked upright?

Then Abraham or Aristotle :smile:

I kind of tied in walking upright with standing up.

But yes, that dude/dudette.
Charles Martell.

Any man who's nickname is 'The Hammer' gives me a semi, at least.
Reply 48
adolf hitler - but for all the wrong reasons. he was significant in having the biggest impact on much of the world in living momory and devastating so many people's lives. he dominated much of early to mid twentieth century international politics and the way he conquered so many countries for so many years without any obstruction until the british and the US stood up to him. he has changed the world and caused such pain and distress to millions of lives all over europe.
Reply 49
Titanomachy
Charles Martell.

Any man who's nickname is 'The Hammer' gives me a semi, at least.

Captain Hammer?
Reply 50
hmm probably Darwin with his theory of evolution. Imo this is most significant as he provided us with the option to choose between religious reasoning and scientific reasoning :smile:
Magna Carta guy
Reply 52
hali0112
adolf hitler - but for all the wrong reasons. he was significant in having the biggest impact on much of the world in living momory and devastating so many people's lives. he dominated much of early to mid twentieth century international politics and the way he conquered so many countries for so many years without any obstruction until the british and the US stood up to him. he has changed the world and caused such pain and distress to millions of lives all over europe.

In the same way as you describe, Hitler was the first person I thought of when I read this question
Reply 53
Hitler, from modern western civilisation's point of view.
Merlin.
The guy who created the Call of Duty series
Reply 56
Although we have no way of knowing who it was, the most significant person to everyone on this planet is the first ever pioneer of agriculture.

Everything else that has happened has only been allowed to happen because of that.
Reply 57
Bruce Forsyth in his prime.
Michael Essien
James Hetfield :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending