The Student Room Group

Exclusive Parking bays for Muslims in London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Edit: TL;DR - There is a parking space down my street that is only allowed to be used at a time which is also when the community centre is used for Friday prayers. At all other times the parking spaces are closed and it's possible to get a ticket for parking in them.

For those with an attention span greater than a goldfish:

Now I want to make one thing clear. I am not bigoted, I accept multiculturalism and all that jazz:p: (honest!)

Anyway, in my borough of Tower Hamlets (in London) and even down the street where I live there are parking spaces that are forbidden to park in at ANY TIME EXCEPT between 12:00-14:30 on a Friday. On a Friday around this time there is a religious ceremony in the community centre.

I too noticed this exact same system down a street with a community centre that is also used for Friday prayers by the islamic community.

The parking spaces are bays with a sign forbidding parking during any other time. Now, how can the council justify only allowing use of these bays when people of Islamic faith use the community centre for Friday prayers? I agree that the street gets very very crowded during Friday prayers (There are often vehicles double parked or parked literally on corners)

Throughout the week there are other events going on in the community centre, including Bingo, boxing clubs and some other things I don't take much notice of. At these times, especially for the Bingo, it is difficult to park down this residential street. Why not just let the parking space be used to everybody at all times? It's not in a restrictive area and it's exclusively a residents permit holder space anyway.

The only reason I can see, perhaps with a narrow mind, is that the council is operating these parking spaces exclusively for those that wish to attend Friday prayers, disallowing everybody else (particularly residents) from parking down their own street. It costs in excess of £100 for a residents parking permit already!

Anybody got an opinions? Why only during these hours?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
nothing wrong with it.... guess during that time they have their friday prayers..

also guessing the council came up with this solution as the muslims and their cars give them massive problems (with complaints from the locals etc) during friday prayers... suppose this was thier solution.... I think they came up with teh best idea.
That's sooo racist and unfair!!! :angry::mad::rant::mad2::stomp::mob:
Reply 3
What part of Tower Hamlets is this? (I live there in term time)

"Throughout the week there are other events going on in the community centre, including Bingo, boxing clubs and some other things I don't take much notice of."

So it's just on Fridays when theres Muslims about then ?
maybe the mosque paid for a group permit or something to stop the congestion during that time?
Reply 6
My point is that the capacity of the parking spaces would be useful during every other time for everybody else, be they Muslim or otherwise.

I had no choice but to park in this bay outside my own house the other evening because of the bingo. It's pretty annoying having to be on the watch out for traffic wardens down your own street, especially how I have to pay £100 to park down my own street.

I couldn't care if the parking space was exclusive just for when the Christians have their church thing in there on a Sunday. It's the same principle which annoys me, even if it was for the bloody old people and their Bingo on a Wednesday evening. It just so happens to be on Friday when they have Friday Prayers. I used the controversial title to get responses otherwise the thread would've just sunk, which I expect it will anyway.
oh them muslims
Reply 8
ajp100688
What part of Tower Hamlets is this? (I live there in term time)

Well I won't say my area specifically because it would be possible to pin point my street! But I also noticed this happens near Westferry DLR starion near to Gill Street
Hint is in the borough.
Unbelievable, Jeff!
Edit: TL;DR - There is a parking space down my street that is only allowed to be used at a time which is also when the community centre is used for Friday prayers. At all other times the parking spaces are closed and it's possible to get a ticket for parking in them.

For those with an attention span greater than a goldfish:

Now I want to make one thing clear. I am not bigoted, I accept multiculturalism and all that jazz (honest!)

Anyway, in my borough of Tower Hamlets (in London) and even down the street where I live there are parking spaces that are forbidden to park in at ANY TIME EXCEPT between 12:00-14:30 on a Friday. On a Friday around this time there is a religious ceremony in the community centre.

I too noticed this exact same system down a street with a community centre that is also used for Friday prayers by the islamic community.

The parking spaces are bays with a sign forbidding parking during any other time. Now, how can the council justify only allowing use of these bays when people of Islamic faith use the community centre for Friday prayers? I agree that the street gets very very crowded during Friday prayers (There are often vehicles double parked or parked literally on corners)

Throughout the week there are other events going on in the community centre, including Bingo, boxing clubs and some other things I don't take much notice of. At these times, especially for the Bingo, it is difficult to park down this residential street. Why not just let the parking space be used to everybody at all times? It's not in a restrictive area and it's exclusively a residents permit holder space anyway.

The only reason I can see, perhaps with a narrow mind, is that the council is operating these parking spaces exclusively for those that wish to attend Friday prayers, disallowing everybody else (particularly residents) from parking down their own street. It costs in excess of £100 for a residents parking permit already!

Anybody got an opinions? Why only during these hours?

I wonder if your opinions would be different if those parking spaces were provided for, say, a Christian or Jewish community to ease congestion on what you have already said is a very, very crowded time. Tut tut.

I suspect you just don't like 'their' kind.
moneyballs2

Really, what is your point? This happens at my local Mosque to. It's resident parking Monday - Sat from 7am - 9pm or something, except on Fridays where it's 7am - 1pm and 2.30 - 9pm. You're lying when you say residents aren't allowed to park on their own street. They of course are. By relaxing the law during that time, it just means the Muslims parking without resident permits will not face fines. I'm sure they made an issue of it to the council and the council saw sense. You also live in a heavily Muslim populated borough, in case you hadn't noticed.

This is to allow many, many people on their lunch breaks to park conveniently, without causing jams and to attend the prayer. How does that equate to people playing Bingo?

It's not an issue of convenience for the Muslims. It's an issue of convenience for the council. There's literally hundreds of Muslims congregating at exactly the same time, once a week, with the potential to cause a real headache in parking their cars.

Seriously...such a non-issue. This isn't about equality or anything of the sort. You are a bigot. Would you complain if the council suddenly noticed an increase in vehicles on bingo evening and introduced such a rule for bingo goers? No you wouldn't.
Reply 13
moneyballs2

I had no choice but to park in this bay outside my own house the other evening because of the bingo. It's pretty annoying having to be on the watch out for traffic wardens down your own street, especially how I have to pay £100 to park down my own street.

It's not "your own street". You pay rent/mortgage for your house and the land around your house (i.e. garden). You do not own any part of the local road network.

Council's need to do whatever possible to reduce the amount of traffic on their roads so if they want to charge you for parking a car on their road, they have every right to.

If they opened up this space to allow anyone to park there, then it would just mean another resident who currently uses public transport or whatever can buy a car and park there, meaning it's useless for the community centre.

I do agree it's stupid that it's only allowed for that time; it would be better if you could park there anytime but there was, say, a 1 or 2 hour restriction, with no return within 6hrs. That would mean only people using the centre would park there.

Write to your council and ask why it is? If you're complaining just because you're a resident, then they won't care. As I say, you have no right to the highway just because your house is nearby, and the council have no obligation to provide you with parking. However if you're actually concerned that other users of the community centre should be able to use it, then state that in your letter and maybe they will do something about it.
Reply 14
Question: Would a christian bomb you if you didn't let him park where you want? now would a muslim

there you go
Reply 15
Shadowman786
Really, what is your point? This happens at my local Mosque to. It's resident parking Monday - Sat from 7am - 9pm or something, except on Fridays where it's 7am - 1pm and 2.30 - 9pm. You're lying when you say residents aren't allowed to park on their own street. They of course are. By relaxing the law during that time, it just means the Muslims parking without resident permits will not face fines. I'm sure they made an issue of it to the council and the council saw sense. You also live in a heavily Muslim populated borough, in case you hadn't noticed.

How am I lying about residents not being about to park? Do you know the extent of parking down my street? You can't comment on how busy it can get when people are using the community centre can you?

Also, the parking space is still exclusive for residents only during this brief opening period.

This is to allow many, many people on their lunch breaks to park conveniently, without causing jams and to attend the prayer. How does that equate to people playing Bingo?

Why should there be any preference to the activity taking place in the community centre? Why can't the people that go there play bingo use the spaces? They are, afterall, using the community centre. A Christian group use the centre on a Sunday. The parking spaces are closed then. Where would they park if they wanted to attend to prayer during their holy day?

It's not an issue of convenience for the Muslims. It's an issue of convenience for the council. There's literally hundreds of Muslims congregating at exactly the same time, once a week, with the potential to cause a real headache in parking their cars.

Same goes for the people that use the centre for Bingo. Most old people drive and park down the street on the Bingo night. There are few parking spaces for those that wish to attend Friday prayers, and there are few parking spaces for those that wish to play Bingo. There are too a shortage of parking spaces for those that live down the street.

Seriously...such a non-issue. This isn't about equality or anything of the sort. You are a bigot. Would you complain if the council suddenly noticed an increase in vehicles on bingo evening and introduced such a rule for bingo goers? No you wouldn't.

If you read my other post in this thread I clearly state that I would still be pissed off if this rule applied to them. Check for yourself: 'even if it was for the bloody old people and their Bingo on a Wednesday evening.'

I'm going to make this clear because people are obviously missing it: I would complain if they gave preference to ANY users of the community centre. I would also complain if they opened the space but only closed it for a certain period when a group is using the community centre, irrespective of whether they were Elderly, Muslim, Christian or Jedi.

It's not a non-issue. If a parking space was closed off beside a park where people go and play sports at all times, and was only opened when a group of elderly people went to play giant chess, then obviously there would be people that get upset that the parking space is open only when one group of people require it, but not for anybody else that uses the facility.
Reply 16
dobbs
It's not "your own street". You pay rent/mortgage for your house and the land around your house (i.e. garden). You do not own any part of the local road network.

Council's need to do whatever possible to reduce the amount of traffic on their roads so if they want to charge you for parking a car on their road, they have every right to.

The road is a relatively quiet residential road, in that very few people use it as a cut-through. The majority of road users and parkers are residents or users of the community centre. I accept that they can charge if they want to, but limiting access to parking spaces for those that have paid seems pretty stupid to me.

If they opened up this space to allow anyone to park there, then it would just mean another resident who currently uses public transport or whatever can buy a car and park there, meaning it's useless for the community centre.

It's useless for the community centre if it is closed for 165 hours out of 168 per week anyway.... As for people parking, I don't think you can help people wanting to own a car, everybody has their reasons, for some people Public Transport isn't an affordable option (Those that commute long distances, trains are very expensive)

I do agree it's stupid that it's only allowed for that time; it would be better if you could park there anytime but there was, say, a 1 or 2 hour restriction, with no return within 6hrs. That would mean only people using the centre would park there.

This would be a good idea, however there wouldn't really be a way to monitor the time properly without the person displaying a ticket with a printed time. It could easily be abused by anybody.
Reply 17
victoria_london
I wonder if your opinions would be different if those parking spaces were provided for, say, a Christian or Jewish community to ease congestion on what you have already said is a very, very crowded time. Tut tut.

I suspect you just don't like 'their' kind.

You are mistaken. I don't like your kind.

The kind that jump to conclusions and make up their own details to satisfy their opinions. Have you ever considered a career in journalism? Perhaps writing for the Daily Mail? I hear they appreciate people that can make assumptions.

Take a look at the post I made BEFORE you made your post. I saythat it's the principle of it, the use of the parking space exclusively by one group and none of the others is what pisses me off. Especially as it means that the others have to resort to parking in spaces that residents would ordinarily park in, at a fee of £100+.

So, if you wish to continue making assumptions that I'm islamophobic, or if you would like to accuse me of being a witch, please feel free to. I hope you have a good evening.
Reply 18
Dey Turk Err Perking Spaces:fuhrer:
Reply 19
moneyballs2
The road is a relatively quiet residential road, in that very few people use it as a cut-through. The majority of road users and parkers are residents or users of the community centre. I accept that they can charge if they want to, but limiting access to parking spaces for those that have paid seems pretty stupid to me.

It's useless for the community centre if it is closed for 165 hours out of 168 per week anyway.... As for people parking, I don't think you can help people wanting to own a car, everybody has their reasons, for some people Public Transport isn't an affordable option (Those that commute long distances, trains are very expensive)

This would be a good idea, however there wouldn't really be a way to monitor the time properly without the person displaying a ticket with a printed time. It could easily be abused by anybody.

Yes people want to own cars, and I know this sounds harsh, but if you want to own a car, don't live in an area where you can't park it then complain about no parking. The fact is is that in places like London or other urban areas there are simply too many cars and councils are under pressure to reduce congestion and emissions, etc. so they need to be tough on parking.

You don't need a ticket system to be in operation, there are plenty of local car parks that use similar systems, if what I've heard about London is true, a traffic enforcement officer will pass your street every couple of hours so it could easily be checked - if a car is still there on the officer's next round, it's been there too long.

And from what you're saying, they haven't taken a space away from residents, they've added a new space and made it only for the community centre. Unless I'm wrong - if they've taken a space away from residents and made it just for the community centre then that would be something worthy of complaining about.

Latest

Trending

Trending