The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I gave a tramp like 80p, once. I come back, and see him with a bottle of stella artois - never again.
Aphotic Cosmos
Well don't you have a positive outlook on people less fortunate than you. Humanity is surely blessed to count you amongst its number. :rolleyes:

What do you do that is so good then?

I never knew Jesus posted on this site?
Antonia87
Your complete lack of consideration for other human beings suggests you are.

Some people aren't nice. Duh.
Help if unconscious? Yep.
Give food to? Maybe
Give money to? Nope.
rajandkwameali
Some people aren't nice. Duh.

The OP asked me why he appeared horrible, so I told him why. Problem? No? Good.
Reply 45
I gave a tramp like... £1.00. But that was cos he was really charming. Although knowing he'd just use it for alcohol his story about how he was getting clean and how him and his friend needed food cos his friend had no legs, was really really compelling. Also he said everyone else around was all grumpy and it was nice to see someone standing around smiling. (I don't really think I was... but I'm a sucker for compliments.)

So... yeah I'd help em out. But they have to be charming or at least make up a nice story for me.
Reply 46
Ocassus
As the rain slowed I wandered up to her and placed 2000 baht into her hand and walked off into the rain.

Thats £40? Nice guy :yep:
Antonia87
The OP asked me why he appeared horrible, so I told him why. Problem? No? Good.

Perhaps I do have a problem. what will you do?
Danti1988
I hope you go through what some of them go through and end up like one you selfish *** .. Not all of them are on the streets because they are druggies or alcoholics!

Are you too dim to realise that not all persons are wholesome in character?
Nope.
rajandkwameali
Perhaps I do have a problem. what will you do?

Leave you to deal with it, since its not mine.
Reply 51
This thread really angers me and I hope the OP is not being serious?!

How could you be so cruel? First of all by referring to them as a 'tramp' One day you may find yourself in that very unfortunate position so please don't be so judgmental.
Reply 52
I feel really bad when ever I see a tramp, it's horrible and just makes me upset. I would give them money if they truly deserved/needed it, which is hard to tell most of the time.
Ocassus
I will only help them if they do not ask for it. Help them help themselves.

I was in Bangkok under one of the trans motorway bridges on my way back to the hotel, it was thundering away outside and puring down with rain. When I waited for it to go off I saw a women, quite haggard with a baby in her arms counting the coins in her hand.
As the rain slowed I wandered up to her and placed 2000 baht into her hand and walked off into the rain.

I like to think that is one of the kindest things I have ever done in my life.

That is very kind :smile:
I have helped a 'tramp' once. We were walking through central to go home and this tramp tripped over and smashed his head open. I put my (new) jacket behind his head to stem the bleeding, mates rang an ambulance and I sat with him until it came. He was a person just the same as you and me, his circumstances in life do not change that.
Reply 55
You are just a vile creature.
Reply 56
Holamigo
This thread really angers me and I hope the OP is not being serious?!

How could you be so cruel? First of all by referring to them as a 'tramp' One day you may find yourself in that very unfortunate position so please don't be so judgmental.

I do not like tramps, i tried to help one once but that ended with me burning his nuts by throwing my coffee on his groin to defend myself.
I do not see why i should help subsidise their existence.
only if i get rep in return :ninja:
Reply 58
Yes why not?, though I never have change on me. Next time I see one I'll help.
Yes, have some empathy. It's so like many closed minded fools to believe that all tramps are useless drug addicts who have landed themselves in the street from their own backs. They had the opportunity in life to live well but they chose alcohol, crime and drugs bla bla bla. Basically they are the scum of the earth.
But in actual fact that is a minority. A tramp can be anyone, many people become homeless after a bleeding divorce, a man may have a mental breakdown and lose his job and in time will end up on the street. Also, many students find themselves on the street after uni. Do you really think these people deserve to be there? Do you actually think that they are equal to 'the bottom of your shoe'?
Also, many think that a tramp has the opportunity to get up off the street. But there's virtually no way out. Due to his lack of address he can't even distribute pamphlets or sell bloody flowers.
Remember that documentary a while ago where millionaires spent some time on the street? They were all big and assumed they could easily handle it and even gain a fair bit of money. But they couldn't, they were just the same as any other tramps, skill doesn't come in to it. Stuck. So don't look down on tramps when you don't even know them, don't generalise them, because if you do then you are a closed minded fool. And are no better than all those fools in the past who discriminated against undeserving people.
Now shoo, you are giving me a headache.

Latest

Trending

Trending