The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What about poor children/teenagers, who have been forced to leave home after suffering from abuse, be it physical or sexual.
These poor people deserve to be there do they?
I think not.
You truely are an ignorant tw@.
I'd give them directions or tell them the time ("time you got a watch") but I'd never give money; at least not if they're not selling anything.

To be fair, most of the time they just want someone to talk some crazy talk with so I tend to avoid tramps.
abcdefg56789
hello i cannot stand tramps and view them as something off the bottom of my shoe, i have never given money to those people and believe they should be treated with a degree of suspiscion and hostility.

hostility... like throwing a hot drink on a tramp? honestly, you should have gone anon with the other thread...
I would help them!

But not give them money!

Everyone gives them money so you should give them something better. Like a lift(if you've a heart of gold) or food.
Reply 64
I saw one and he was blatantly a crack-head so id obviously not give him money. Instead I gave him some galaxy cookie crumble. :lol:
Reply 65
Ocassus
Yes, that can happen in that part of the world. Alot of it isn't very genuine.

But go to the more impoverished areas, I don't go for the people who ask or who appear to ask. The women was busy counting the coins to buy the scrawny little thing in her arm a meal.
She even flinched then I reached into my pocket. But I just walked off because I didn't want to give her the opportunity to give it back, because there are some who do.

Go to Indonesia, Cambodia. There are women holding out dying babies to tourists, and it physically makes me sick. It hurts me inside knowing that I cannot give them money because they are begging for it, they cannot get money through begging and by giving them money we are encouraging it. Having been to almost all placesi n the world this is very common, and I hate it bitterly.

Ye I personally advise caution in giving money to little kids due to stuff like (and other scams) this but then again a family might be so poor that the children do have to go out and beg and if no one gave them money they would starve.

Giving money to relatives in that country is a good idea as they know genuine people in need. In regards to this country im not sure I understand people giving food to people but arent there many available ways in which they are helped through shelters etc especially if your under 18, disabled, old etc and you can build from there get benefits. Yes if your a drugy or alcoholic you might be kicked out and have problems.

In other countries it can be very hard to get out of homelessness.
Reply 66
I usually think, they're tramps for a reason. So let them live with their suffering because I bet 9/10 it's their fault they're on the streets.
I never used to pass a begger on the street without giving some change and then one never thanked me and looked at what i'd given him and wasn't impressed! So i never have since.

There are many shelters around these days for homeless people. If they're on the street at night, more than likely they have been thrown out of a hostel or shelter.

I've been homeless myself, and the council do try and help you but they only go so far. Addiction problems usually stand in the way in them receiving help so who's fault is it really?
Reply 68
I often help the homeless. In fact I often go out of my way to.

Just last weekend I saw someone on the other side of the road looking pretty desperate trying to get a few coins at the traffic light. I stopped at a gas station up the road, withdrew $20 from the ATM, bought a pack of cigarrettes, and a box of fried chicken, and then drove back to the guy, and made his day!

I do this sort of thing quite a bit. I have a soft touch for the homeless - spent a number of Christmases working in homeless shelters in London myself in my younger years.
Sometimes. I never buy the big issue but if a guy wanders up to me and asks me for some spare change, and I don't need it for the bus, I will usually give him about 5 quid or something.
Reply 70
They do estimate that some 12% of homeless are ex-military who, for whatever reason - post-traumatic stress, alcoholism, or lack of support on leaving the forces - have found themselves on the streets.
Reply 71
ignore em unless they do something to fascinate me like play really good music in the train stations
I'd probably give them food or something, not money that they could spend on drugs/ciggies and stuff

It breaks my heart when I see tramps with dogs. They can hardly feed themselves, never mind a dog. I know it's mostly for company but it's a bit silly.

People like the OP really upset me though. I understand not wanting to give them money, but you're taking it a bit too far.

You" view them as something off the bottom of your shoe"? Ugh. You make me sick.
Reply 73
I don't give money to homeless people I see on the street. Right now I don't have that much (although admittedly I could give some) but one thing I always think is drugs.

Of course not everyone who is on the street is going to spend the money on drugs or alcohol or whatever, many are just the victim of unfortunate circumstances, but there is no way to judge this because addiction makes people do things they would never normally do, like lying to get drug money. The better thing to do is to give to a homeless charity in my view, providing places where people can go to get food and shelter. Maybe give them actual food if you have some, then all they can do is eat it!

However, I feel very bad about it, but I've never done this yet. I should do but there are alot of worthy causes I should help which I don't...
abcdefg56789
hello i cannot stand tramps and view them as something off the bottom of my shoe, i have never given money to those people and believe they should be treated with a degree of suspiscion and hostility.

the night of the living homeless episode in south park pretty much sums up tramps

would you give money to these people and encourage them or would you do the right thing and ignore them

I am not sure if this is in the right forum

they are bitter, rude, nasty, drunks, druggies

but yes i will help them because they need it
Only if they have a beard. Must have a beard. Beards are essential. Yes, beards... :holmes:
Reply 76
No, because a tramp once tryed to have a wee on my kneecaps.
Reply 77
Yesterday [trip to London] I gave a tramp/begger a big mac (only because I didn't want it :o:) he actually looked pretty greatful (and said thanks) - Even though it was abit of a joke it was nice to see that they're all not begging solely for booze/drugs :smile:
Why is everyone saying they are bitter and rude? The majority of them around here are polite and humorous. You get the odd tosser though.
Reply 79
A-W-H
No, because a tramp once tryed to have a wee on my kneecaps.

I would have kicked his balls up into his throat if I were you.

Latest

Trending

Trending