The Student Room Group

can sum1 PLZ help? UK student applying to USA Uni

I want to apply to Columbia university.
:redface:
I am British,
I have sat my A-levels and got AAB (maths, chem, bio respectively) in 2005 (& i can get a note explaining y i got a B in Bio rather than the A that was expected). Got good GCSE's (4 A*,2A & 4B's).
I applied to Medicine & didn’t get in, thus decided to take a gap yr to reapply. (but I’ll be in part time education for recreation too)
Now that I got time I want to also apply to American uni's, particularly Columbia.
:confused:
I think that I got the stuff American unis want cause I got shed loads of extra curriculum, voluntary work, work exp, sporting etc.. + lots more (as most med. students do, but I got loads that r none medical too)

I know I got to sit SAT I & SAT II, :frown:
SAT I deadline is tonight to register for the October sitting via "collageboard".
Do I need to enter for this or can i sit the November sitting instead? (i want a regular decision)

Do u usually sit the SAT II @ the same time as the SAT I?

Which Columbia "School" do I have to apply to? (I want to do Bio or Economics)

Is it too late for me to apply now? :eek:
(I've got teachers willing to recommend me, & I am going to use my UCAS PS for one of the essays)

Ne similar advice concerning other similar unis such as MIT? :biggrin:

NE advice concerning appreciated.
Reply 1
It is not too late to apply now, you can even do ED and increase your chances of getting accepted (but you can't decide to go somewhere else in the US if Columbia accepts you).

Regular applications are usually due around December 31st-January 15th depending on the college. Even the December SAT should be fine as long as you rush it.

You can only take either the SATI or up to 3 SATIIs at any given session so you will have to sing up for two test dates.

You can only apply to either the College or SEAS (school of engineering & applied sciences) at undergrad level, biology and certainly economics would be at the College but you don’t have to pick a course as you did at UK universities. You should note that getting into SEAS is easier than the College.

MIT and most other us colleges have the same schedule but you have to apply to each college individually as there is no such thing as UCAS (common app might help). Also, the structure of US college essays is different from a UCAS personal Statement so you might want to rewrite it and I would expect Columbia to have supplemental essays.
Reply 2
as far as i am concern you have a little time... probably about a month or so, most Early decisions which are binding but a great way to get into your dream uni if you got dreams and are sure... (you can only apply to one as an Early decision).... most have deadlines around october for EDs... most application deadlines are around end of dec/mid jan...

you cant do both SAT I and IIs at the same time... you could probably do the SAT I thts in sept but you will have to pay late fees and what not... if you really wanna get into good unis and are ready for SATs I would say cough up the little extra and give it a go cause you might need to re-take them...

some unis offer something call early action it is not binding but it gives you a quick response and you can respond back to them...

you will need a lot of time for the college essays, as some said they nothing like the personal statement... you need to write them and re-write them... some require more than 2 or 3 essays.... its not too late but you havent got time to waste...

other great medical schools are yale, harvard, duke... good luck!

samuelh
I want to apply to Columbia university.
:redface:
I am British,
I have sat my A-levels and got AAB (maths, chem, bio respectively) in 2005 (& i can get a note explaining y i got a B in Bio rather than the A that was expected). Got good GCSE's (4 A*,2A & 4B's).
I applied to Medicine & didn’t get in, thus decided to take a gap yr to reapply. (but I’ll be in part time education for recreation too)
Now that I got time I want to also apply to American uni's, particularly Columbia.
I think that I got the stuff American unis want cause I got shed loads of extra curriculum, voluntary work, work exp, sporting etc.. + lots more (as most med. students do, but I got loads that r none medical too)

I know I got to sit SAT I & SAT II, :frown:
SAT I deadline is tonight to register for the October sitting via "collageboard".
Do I need to enter for this or can i sit the November sitting instead? (i want a regular decision)

Do u usually sit the SAT II @ the same time as the SAT I?

Which Columbia "School" do I have to apply to? (I want to do Bio or Economics)

Is it too late for me to apply now? :eek:
(I've got teachers willing to recommend me, & I am going to use my UCAS PS for one of the essays)

Ne similar advice concerning other similar unis such as MIT? :biggrin:

NE advice concerning appreciated.
Reply 3
MIT offers early action; it is not binding.

Like kishan11 said, Duke has great biology, economics, and "pre-med" programs.
Reply 4
nikibary
you can even do ED and increase your chances of getting accepted (but you can't decide to go somewhere else in the US if Columbia accepts you).

would i HAVE to go to there if they accepted me, in oppose to going to a British uni? (not that it would be so bad :rolleyes: )
nikibary
You can only apply to either the College or SEAS

DO i qualify to apply to the school of General Studies then? since im on a gap year? (statistics look much more pleasent there)

(form website)
" GS - Offers the B.A. or B.S. degree to students who have had a break of a year or more in their education since high school."

(http://www.columbia.edu/cu/isso/admit/)

CC - "Study of the liberal arts and sciences leading to the B.A. degree traditionally, but not exclusively, for students just out of secondary school, usually between the ages of 17 and 22."

confused...so which school?

btw,
nikibary
Even the December SAT should be fine as long as you rush it.

the website explicitly mentions "Never utilize the “rush” service in sending your test scores to Columbia."

I think im too late to entre the October sitting for SAT reasoning (cause im international), and will have to enter for November by the looks of things. (Shame, i wanted to apply for early decision. :frown: ) so that means i gotta sit the December sitting 4 the Subject tests.
I have read (http://apps.collegeboard.com/search/CollegeDetail.jsp?collegeId=3853&profileId=6) on this website that my score needs to be there by Feb 15th, thus can i sit the December sitting?

thx guys, i was close to govin up b4 u came along. :smile:

sozz4 askin so many Q's tho. :redface:
Reply 5
No, ED is binding for US colleges only (I don’t see how a UK university would know you even applied in the US) as far as I know. I'm not sure about the general studies program as I don't know anyone who applied for it but SEAS is for engineering and courses related to it so unless you want to do that you should apply to the College.

December testing should not be a problem, plenty of time. As for the October date, I don't know if testing sites abroad do it but in the US you can often show up for standby testing and if they have room they let you take it without having a registration (but you have to pay a higher fee and a place is not guaranteed). Furthermore are you sure that you can't sign up for October with a late fee?
Reply 6
ah, thank gudness,
umm, i c what ur saying, this is becoming a costly venture already, but i think kishan11 has a very good point:

Kishan11

I would say cough up the little extra and give it a go cause you might need to re-take them...

im gonna try doing sum more research2 c if i find ne where not too monstorusly far away that may let me sit these standby exams. :call2:

Do u think these SAT's need a lot of preparation? u think i cud just study fulltime for like 2 weeks & be sorted?

thx for the recommendations guys, keep 'em comin.
Reply 7
samuelh
ah, thank gudness,
umm, i c what ur saying, this is becoming a costly venture already, but i think kishan11 has a very good point:

im gonna try doing sum more research2 c if i find ne where not too monstorusly far away that may let me sit these standby exams. :call2:

Do u think these SAT's need a lot of preparation? u think i cud just study fulltime for like 2 weeks & be sorted?

thx for the recommendations guys, keep 'em comin.

personally i dont think maths is difficult to crack, verbal was hard for me... i had to work extremely hard to get 700 (took me 3 sits...) however, sat IIs werent tht bad at all...

Early decision is binding, its like a legal contract... i think the only way out of it is if you dont go to the states all together...

i am not sure about the sat dates and all but its available online so i would check on it, there was a sept date when i took them... so you could do them at the end of the month if you feel confident or you can do them in oct then sat IIs in nov and re-take sat Is in dec if you need to...

i would research into other options of going into med as well... i know its a bloody long process to do a medical degree in the states... (personally i would do the degree here if i were you but i also know tht it is an amazing place to study and their program is well rounded...)... there should be other smaller schools offering pre-med and then you can transfer to a med school...

if you got any more questions do let me know and i will see if i can help... i did my SATs abt 2 yrs ago so things might have changed...
Reply 8
nikibary
No, ED is binding for US colleges only (I don’t see how a UK university would know you even applied in the US) as far as I know. I'm not sure about the general studies program as I don't know anyone who applied for it but SEAS is for engineering and courses related to it so unless you want to do that you should apply to the College.

December testing should not be a problem, plenty of time. As for the October date, I don't know if testing sites abroad do it but in the US you can often show up for standby testing and if they have room they let you take it without having a registration (but you have to pay a higher fee and a place is not guaranteed). Furthermore are you sure that you can't sign up for October with a late fee?

niki is right, you would want to show up as stand by for the sept testing... you can still reg for the oct by paying $20 odd as late reg fee and they will take you on... i think if you turn up as a stand by and end up writing it then its $100+ but i might be wrong... never done it...
Reply 9
not according to this site,

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/calenfees.html

by what this site is telling me, im gonna have to apply for the November & December sitting...
im gonna see if my nearest center, which is 40 miles away!, has ne advice or if it has ne standby's just out of curiosity,
...but they wont be open till monday.

thx guys, i'll let u know if i get in to ne more trouble, :biggrin:

:goodnight
Reply 10
hi there again....

I ve phoned CC & they say it wud be fine 4 me 2 sit the SAT's in Dec. & things r going +ly in that sense.

However, I just phoned the School of General Studies, & the lady i was speaking to didn't seem to have a clue about ne thing. She had no idea what we where talking about. lol. Is there sumthing wrong with going to this school? is this school not part of Columbia uni / an Ivy? it just comes across as a subordinate (no offence to ne1 who goes there, its just that the representative was somewhere else...she even made me hold for like 2 minutes.. :mad: .."LADY! Did you not hear me when i said im calling from abroad as an international?!" lol :p: )

Ne way, from what i understand i am now in a position where i can choose which school i want to apply to:

General Studies,
Columbia collage,
or FU SEAS.

Which would u advise i apply to?
(bearing in mind i wanna go for Medicine, either here as a Post Grad, or there; if not i may go on a tangent & do Economics)
:smile:
All related advice: more than welcomed.

(Btw, I've noticed that GE doesn’t have ne info on accommodation, do I need to get my own?)

Edit: btw, the dates r getting really muddled...cause GE offers Spring enrolment, can sum1 plz clarify the dates for just REGULAR decision enrolment of fall 2006 (ie sept 2006) (1st April? Or 1st of June for an International) & Early Decision fall 2006 (1-march?) ?
I think the lady said ive missed the spring enrolment dates, it wud have been even better if I cud have gone spring 06 instead. (not that I'm gonna get ahead of myself now, I haven't even applied yet, lol)
She also hesitated when i said im enquiring for enrolment of fall 2006, i think she was trying to say that it may not be a good idea to apply "so early" (?)
ne idea what she was trying to get @?

Note: is Early Action & Early Decision the same thing?
Reply 11
samuelh
Note: is Early Action & Early Decision the same thing?

quick response, early decision and action are two different things... early decision is binding ie if you are accepted by the college then you will attend tht college if you go to the states... early action just means tht u send ur application before the regular deadline and you get a response before the regular applicants... there is no limit to how many colleges you can apply to as an early action applicant...
Umm...it's changed a bit actually.
I go to Stanford, and last year Stanford and Yale switched to single-choice early action. You can only apply to one but it's not binding. More schools are planning to switch to this so CHECK and make sure first...don't knwo where Columbia stands.
Reply 13
shady lane
Umm...it's changed a bit actually.
I go to Stanford, and last year Stanford and Yale switched to single-choice early action. You can only apply to one but it's not binding. More schools are planning to switch to this so CHECK and make sure first...don't knwo where Columbia stands.

thanx shane, when i applied a couple of yrs ago it was the case of as many as you want... ED being the only one where you were restricted to one college and it was binding... a good friend of mine is at stanford, what course you doing?
Reply 14
Yeah it's really hard to ge information on American universities. Is there a league table that says which is good and which isn't so good?

xx
Reply 16
US News is overrated, IMO. Penn at 4? Anyway, don't forget the NRC rankings! I find them more dependable than the US News subject rankings.

http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~jnewton/nrc_rankings/nrc41.html
warblersrule
US News is overrated, IMO. Penn at 4? Anyway, don't forget the NRC rankings! I find them more dependable than the US News subject rankings.

http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~jnewton/nrc_rankings/nrc41.html

Dependable how? At the undergraduate level individual departments honestly don't matter, you're not getting that deep into the subject anyway. A top 15 university for any subject is better if you're leaving with a BA. Those NRC rankings seem better for graduate school though. I don't know the ranking criteria so I can't say which is actually more accurate.
Reply 18
Thanks a lot
xxx
Reply 19
shady lane- They are intended for graduate school, and should be used as such. Nonetheless, they are an interesting set of info-they're more helpful than Princeton Review's rankings! :p:

Personally, I promote LACs for undergrad and large unis for grad.

Latest

Trending

Trending