The Student Room Group

Drinking milk everyday... good or bad for you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Milk, as well as many dairy products has quite a bit of fat in it. So, if you are dieting then you should cut the dairy down to a minimum - try drinking more water instead?
smiling_buddha
mmm what kind of milk? :sexface:

:mmm: I bet its Full Cream Milk :wink:

Spoiler

Reply 42
Antonious Block
if you drink milk every day for the rest of your life then you'll end up dead.

I'm drinking a litre of whole milk and another 200ml of semiskimmed a day.

why?!
Antonious Block
You're aware that when its hot outside it doesn't make you hot inside? Your stomach and its contents are kept at a pretty stable temperature.

This. homeostasis.
Reply 44
Holamigo
I drink a pint glass of semi-skimmed milk every night.. before going to bed. I have done it for years. Just wondered is this too much milk? and is it good/bad as i'm trying to lose weight at the moment. . .

Bad because you are consuming calories which you don't burnt in the night (hence you get fat) but good for the Calcium.
Antonious Block
if you drink milk every day for the rest of your life then you'll end up dead.

Am I the only one that realises this makes no sense :p:
campy
It sounds like you eat a lot of dairy.

ONE pint of milk PER DAY is not a lot of dairy, far from it. To put things into perspective I probably have a similar quantity on my cereal of a morning.

campy
dairy products tend to be surprisingly high in fat (and sugar

Para*****.
Milk, as well as many dairy products has quite a bit of fat in it.

No they really aren't - even if we're talking about full fat milk it is less than 4% fat and less than 5% sugar. Again, to put things into perspective, orange juice is around 10-15% sugar (much the same as coca cola in fact), likewise a pack of crisps is around 30% fat.

Dietary fat does not equal fat gain. This phobia concerning fat is just plain wrong - fats are essential for life, essential to maintain a good standard of health and they will keep you feeling fuller for longer (= good for weight loss). Do you want to know what the main source of fat gain is? Carbohydrates, excessive consumption of highly refined carbohydrates alongside a diet deficient in fats and protein.

As I've said before, milk does not have a high fat content and it does not have a high sugar content - subsequently it is not particularly calorie dense.

Your average 100g chocolate bar contains at least 20g of fat and at least 500 calories - you'd have to drink over 500 ml of full fat milk to 'beat' that.

Drinking milk in such quantities may also cause a sugar spike in your blood which could raise your insulin levels and affect how your body deals with calories.

20-25g per day is unlikely to make much of a difference.

Frankster1992
Furthermore, i wouldnt encourage drinking too much milk in the hot weather as it may curdle inside your gut which could cause a number of unwanted illnesses such as : Stomach ache, Sickness, and Diarrhea :cool:

Absolute nonsense - if you had problems it wasn't due to 'milk curdling in your stomach'.

Broderss
Bad because you are consuming calories which you don't burnt in the night (hence you get fat) but good for the Calcium.

Lovely idea but in practice it doesn't work out that way. What governs weight gain is your calorific intake throughout the whole day not what or how much you eat x amount of hours before bed.

MM1234
Is organic milk more beneficial than normal milk?

Very very very slightly.

Manitude
I seem to be averaging half a pint a day spread throughout the day at the moment, semi skimmed or full cream depending on what's open at the time, although I have an insanely high metabolism so I don't get fat.

Ha ha, that old chestnut.
Reply 47
ch0c0h01ic
x.

Off topic but I used your MP code so I should thank you for the discount :h:
Reply 48
Milk is great!
Reply 49
Drinking milk (in moderation,) is good for you, as long as you're not lactose intolerant! I farkin love it!

Especially for you as a female OP, will stop you breaking both your hips if you fall down the stairs in old age because they've weakened from osteoarthritis.
Broderss
Off topic but I used your MP code so I should thank you for the discount :h:

Cool beans :top:
How anyone can drink red milk baffles my mind.
Reply 52
Thanks for the information everyone :smile:

I have always drunk the green top (semi-skimmed milk) and hate any other types.. so I wont be changing.

I'm mainly trying to lose weight through exercise at the moment - I don't really do diets but just wondered if drinking that much milk is a lot and maybe I will drink it in the day instead of right before bed(if that does actually make a difference)

Also there is noway I will be giving up cheese and yogurts - I don't eat that much anyway.
Reply 53
ch0c0h01ic
ONE pint of milk PER DAY is not a lot of dairy, far from it. To put things into perspective I probably have a similar quantity on my cereal of a morning.

No they really aren't - even if we're talking about full fat milk it is less than 4% fat and less than 5% sugar. Again, to put things into perspective, orange juice is around 10-15% sugar (much the same as coca cola in fact), likewise a pack of crisps is around 30% fat.

I never said that amount of milk was bad/too much: I was referring to the cheese and yoghurts she said she ate too when I said it sounded like a lot of dairy and that there was a surprising amount of fat in dairy products (which means lots of calories, which is not a good thing if you're trying to lose weight which I think OP was but I posted that ages ago so can't really remember...:smile: )
Reply 54
I am 63 and have lived most of my life consuming large quantities of dairy products. I drink at least 4 pints of full fat milk and preferably "Unpasteurised" milk a day. It's fabulous! I could live without anything except milk!
The goodness in milk beats any other drink. The recovery rate from exercise and exertion is twice as fast drinking milk as water. Energy drinks and Coke etc. are poison and skimmed or semi- skimmed milk is a waste of time. Without the fat our systems can't absorb the vitamins and minerals in the liquid.
The health fascists like to frighten us but our bodies "tell" us what is best for us. Some people can't eat or drink what others would die without but unless you take in heavily processed food and fizzy drinks most things "natural" are going to be OK.
The five -a-day myth is rubbish as well. I rarely ever eat fruit or vegetables and only ever have butter - no spreads.
Things like Flora have a chemical make-up closer to "Plastic" than butter and are very bad for us.
Ignore the "Sell by" and "Eat By" dates they are a marketing tool and mean very little. Trust your senses. If it smells bad it is bad but if not eat it. I eat things days and weeks after these dates run out. No problems.

My favourite foods are old fashioned favourites like Cottage Pie, stews, eggs and bacon, Chicken, soups ,fish, cheese, corned beef, mashed potato, pies etc. and if you are a student you can live very cheaply eating all of these.

I am physically stronger than many men my age and have a lot of stamina. I have always had high energy levels and no problems with blood pressure, cholesterol or anything else. I have had these checked very regularly and they are always good. I give blood regularly and have excellent Iron levels.

We are walking chemistry sets and need to find what mixes best for each of us. If you put the wrong fuel in we react like an engine and we don't run well but if we find the right mixture we spin like a top. If your try something that doesn't suit you Don't" have it again. It is as simple as that. Enjoy your life!
Reply 55
I have two lots of cereal per day with semi or whole milk, it's lovely.

As for people questioning the health content of milk i'd say that while it's not as good for you as water it's a significant improvement on just about any other drink so think about that while you drink your diet coke laced with Aspartine.
I drink goats milk, hehehehehehehe. (I produce more mucus from cows milk so I drink goats. :P)

Original post by TTWHO
I am 63 and have lived most of my life consuming large quantities of dairy products. I drink at least 4 pints of full fat milk and preferably &quot;Unpasteurised&quot; milk a day. It's fabulous! I could live without anything except milk!<br />
The goodness in milk beats any other drink. The recovery rate from exercise and exertion is twice as fast drinking milk as water. Energy drinks and Coke etc. are poison and skimmed or semi- skimmed milk is a waste of time. Without the fat our systems can't absorb the vitamins and minerals in the liquid.<br />
The health fascists like to frighten us but our bodies &quot;tell&quot; us what is best for us. Some people can't eat or drink what others would die without but unless you take in heavily processed food and fizzy drinks most things &quot;natural&quot; are going to be OK.<br />
The five -a-day myth is rubbish as well. I rarely ever eat fruit or vegetables and only ever have butter - no spreads.<br />
Things like Flora have a chemical make-up closer to &quot;Plastic&quot; than butter and are very bad for us.<br />
Ignore the &quot;Sell by&quot; and &quot;Eat By&quot; dates they are a marketing tool and mean very little. Trust your senses. If it smells bad it is bad but if not eat it. I eat things days and weeks after these dates run out. No problems.<br />
<br />
My favourite foods are old fashioned favourites like Cottage Pie, stews, eggs and bacon, Chicken, soups ,fish, cheese, corned beef, mashed potato, pies etc. and if you are a student you can live very cheaply eating all of these.<br />
<br />
I am physically stronger than many men my age and have a lot of stamina. I have always had high energy levels and no problems with blood pressure, cholesterol or anything else. I have had these checked very regularly and they are always good. I give blood regularly and have excellent Iron levels.<br />
<br />
We are walking chemistry sets and need to find what mixes best for each of us. If you put the wrong fuel in we react like an engine and we don't run well but if we find the right mixture we spin like a top. If your try something that doesn't suit you Don't&quot; have it again. It is as simple as that. Enjoy your life!
<br />
<br />

Yes! Yes! You are so right! Flora and that stuff is utter garbage.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57
Hey - it looks like a bunch of other people have answered this already but to answer your question - there's absolutely nothing wrong with drinking a pint of milk at any time of the day. All the scientific evidence points towards moderate consumption of dairy being a good thing - so keep on drinking, it's unlikely that a pint is too much!
I drink about a litre and a half a day ever since I can remember...it's got nothing to do with getting big or 'bulking' or **** like that it's just become a habit of mine. So far I haven't noticed any negative side effects of drinking a lot of milk. Btw I drink whole milk - gotta have some vitamin A and D!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Semi-skimmed milk is the best milk overall in terms of moderate fat content and decent taste. Avoid skimmed milk, and Ron Swanson will explain why... :bigsmile:

[video="youtube;qhS1fN_wwVw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhS1fN_wwVw[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest