The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'd recommend you do a foundation before going onto a BA, a lot of courses won't except you without a foundation or equivalent. I'm not familiar with foundations all over the country but in terms of ones with a good focus on fine art I'd say the UAL colleges (St Martins, Chelsea, Camberwell, Wimbledon), Kingston.. possibly the UCA colleges. Saying that though, even if you stayed locally and did a foundation at a nearby college or something, it wouldn't mean that the teaching would be worse compared to going to somewhere more prestigious.
I think its the unis (as opposed to the art schools) that don't require a foundation course to get on to their BAs. leeds uni only want a-levels (+portfolio) for their creative degrees.
likeacircus
Also what are the best art foundation courses in England at the moment in peoples opinions?
Thanks!

This is very hard to say given that very few people go look at foundation shows from different schools. A good way to look at it might be to look at who does the best fine art degrees, as resources and teaching are often shared.

Doing it at a local college is a good call in my opinion, you want a stress free and cheap year for the foundation, so living at home and going somewhere close is good.

Remember that the foundation is primarily focused on allowing you time to make a hot portfolio, so don't expect amazing teaching, push yourself to produce lots of varied work wherever you go.
Reply 4
Duckandthat
I think its the unis (as opposed to the art schools) that don't require a foundation course to get on to their BAs. leeds uni only want a-levels (+portfolio) for their creative degrees.

Not necessarily.. like I said, I'm not too sure about every uni, but looking at places that aren't specifically art schools.. Kingston want a foundation/BTEC plus GCSEs, Brighton also states that A-Levels aren't sufficient enough without a foundation, as does De Montfort, Loughborough etc.

OP, if anything, do a foundation first to strengthen your portfolio; you'll be really surprised how much your work can improve over an extra year, plus there's no course fees if you're under 19 when the course starts.
I know a number of people who didn't do an Art Foundation before their creative degrees; some places only require A Levels/equivalent, and a strong portfolio.
I know a girl that went to Lancaster University to do BA Fine Art, and she didn't do an Art Foundation.
(I know I'm not doing BA Fine Art, but I do a creative degree, and I didn't do an Art Foundation either, and I'm really glad I didn't too!)

Maybe apply for BA courses and Art Foundations at the same time? So, if you get a place at a Uni, you can always opt out of the Foundation if you get on a course.
Reply 6
I didnt do a foundation and hold an offer for the Ruskin
Also, look at ECA and GSA, two very good art schools which include a "foundation" year of sorts.
Reply 7
eeriikaa
I'd recommend you do a foundation before going onto a BA, a lot of courses won't except you without a foundation or equivalent. I'm not familiar with foundations all over the country but in terms of ones with a good focus on fine art I'd say the UAL colleges (St Martins, Chelsea, Camberwell, Wimbledon), Kingston.. possibly the UCA colleges. Saying that though, even if you stayed locally and did a foundation at a nearby college or something, it wouldn't mean that the teaching would be worse compared to going to somewhere more prestigious.

do you think for example if i did my foundation diploma in a local college i would be in a disadvantage to those who studied the subject at uni when applying for a BA. I am considering goldsmith, CSM ect...
Reply 8
xxsaraxx7
do you think for example if i did my foundation diploma in a local college i would be in a disadvantage to those who studied the subject at uni when applying for a BA. I am considering goldsmith, CSM ect...

I wouldn't say you'd be at a disadvantage if you were applying to do your BA at a university that doesn't offer a foundation course, it all depends on the quality and standard of your work, so if you wanted to go to Goldsmiths and your portfolio was what the admissions were looking for then I don't think it would matter if you did your foundation somewhere locally to you. Saying that, places like CSM and the UAL in general are highly competitive and they do take their own foundation students into higher consideration, but again, if your work is good then it shouldn't really matter.

Latest