The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mathematics with Economics.
Reply 2
davidcy147
Mathematics with Economics.

This is good advice :rambo:

However, you don't have to do both; one is enough. However, I think that they would be looking for people studying Economics, seeing as it is more closely related to financial matters.

Do a degree in a subject which you enjoy, so then you will do well in that degree. At the end of the day, if you attain a high level of qualification at a good level (e.g. First, 2:1 or 2:2) then employers will be interested straight away. For instance, I know somebody who did Modern Languages who has just been offered a good job in HSBC.

Good luck, and succeed! :beard:
Reply 3
Just straight economics is the usual choice.
Reply 4
byham2010

However, you don't have to do both; one is enough. However, I think that they would be looking for people studying Economics, seeing as it is more closely related to financial matters.

Do a degree in a subject which you enjoy, so then you will do well in that degree. At the end of the day, if you attain a high level of qualification at a good level (e.g. First, 2:1 or 2:2) then employers will be interested straight away. For instance, I know somebody who did Modern Languages who has just been offered a good job in HSBC.

Good luck, and succeed! :beard:

Retail banking :facepalm2:

And your best bet is to do straight Economics, preferably at a top 10 Uni.
Reply 5
SamCrossMan
Retail banking :facepalm2:

Ah, but he said "banking/investment banking". And yes, Modern Languages can open doors in the financial world, as worldwide banking corporations need people who can communicate freely in various languages.

Reply 6
supercal35
My grades for AS level are A-Maths
A-Physics
B-Futhermaths
B-Economics
Im good and I like physics and maths so im looking into these degrees and combinations which ones would be best suited to banking?
-Mathematics
-Mathematics with Economics
-Mathematics with physics

thankyou for replying ! :smile:

Try Engineering :yep:
Pretty much anything fairly quantitative.
Just do maths and do some economics modules. No point cloudying uo your degree title with 'withs' and 'ands'.
Most people I know from my Maths course who have a job lined up are going into banking. I wouldn't be surprised if they prefered maths grads - you can teach the economics you want them to work by at any time, teaching them the tools they'll need i far more difficult.
Reply 9
Something quantitative at the best university you could get into. Find the list of targeted universities in the IB&C forum.
Reply 10
maths, physics, or engineering. If you get a 1st from a reputable university in one of those 3, they will be all over you.
Degree doesn't matter much, university matters more. Do whatever you want just make sure it's at least somewhat quantitative.
media studies.

duh
Reply 13
byham2010

GTFO giving advice. You haven't even got your GCSEs yet and you want to advise someone on the degree they should take? What makes you think you are qualified to advise in this area?
Reply 14
Mild
GTFO giving advice. You haven't even got your GCSEs yet and you want to advise someone on the degree they should take? What makes you think you are qualified to advise in this area?

That's not the point. I researched the topic for him and then passed on what I know. Surely I should tell him something which could potentially solve his problem?

Sorry if I offended you, tssh :mad:
Reply 15
byham2010
That's not the point. I researched the topic for him and then passed on what I know. Surely I should tell him something which could potentially solve his problem?

Sorry if I offended you, tssh :mad:

People who try to sound authoritative giving advice on things they know nothing about are the worst part of internet forums. If he wanted to base his life decisions upon the results of a quick google, i'm sure he'd be happier doing it himself.
Reply 16
Mild
People who try to sound authoritative giving advice on things they know nothing about are the worst part of internet forums. If he wanted to base his life decisions upon the results of a quick google, i'm sure he'd be happier doing it himself.

It wasn't a "quick google"... I looked on well-respected websites (UCAS, university sites et cetera) in order to help him out.

He won't just listen to one person, you realise; I simply wanted to try and help him out; isn't that the point of this thread? :facepalm:
Reply 17
byham2010
It wasn't a "quick google"... I looked on well-respected websites (UCAS, university sites et cetera) in order to help him out.

He won't just listen to one person, you realise; I simply wanted to try and help him out; isn't that the point of this thread? :facepalm:

Yes, to help him by giving useful advice. How does vague uninformed ******** from someone who hasn't a clue about IB recruitment help him?
Reply 18
Mild
Yes, to help him by giving useful advice. How does vague uninformed ******** from someone who hasn't a clue about IB recruitment help him?

This is seriously harsh. It's not "******"... Please leave me alone :frown: I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I posted that message with good intentions.

:party:
finance & economics?

Latest

Trending

Trending