Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Bissman
sounds a bit like a lie invented to prove a point to me

I really wish it was.

And knife crime is not rare in Oxford. Especially around Rose Hill, Blackbird Leas and the Cowley Road.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 81
So where is knife crime more common, oxford or mile end?
Reply 82
Student directed? Equal. Oxford has some very, very deprived areas, as equally deprived as Mile End. And every university town has a town 'v' gown issue.

Having been involved in welfare at both Oxford and QM, I certainly know what I had to deal with...

Stories such as this one (and others refered to within) are not rare: http://www.oxfordstudent.com/tt2005wk6/News/magdalen_student_racially_attacked
Reply 83
well peorsonaly Id like to go somewhere where I dont FEEL intimidated
Reply 84
Bissman
well peorsonaly Id like to go somewhere where I dont FEEL intimidated

That's entirely your decision.

What I would say though, is judge a book by it's cover and you end up with the library of a person of below average ability :wink:
Reply 85
So would you rather work/live in a pleasnt enviroment or a dump!!
Reply 86
Bissman
So would you rather work/live in a pleasnt enviroment or a dump!!

I'd rather work at the place that's going to do the most for my prospects. I can see past the aesthetics...
Fluffy
I'd rather work at the place that's going to do the most for my prospects. I can see past the aesthetics...

And QM does more for your prospects than Oxford? Right......
Reply 88
RogueTrader

Yup. It does in this instance. I chose QM over my offer to study as a senior student at Oxford...
Reply 89
Fluffy
But you would sill rather live somewhere ha is hygenic and upkept, unless you are a slob
Reply 90
Bissman
But you would sill rather live somewhere ha is hygenic and upkept, unless you are a slob

You're assuming I live in the East End :wink:
Reply 91
RogueTrader
You talk about transport links, but that doesnt change the fact that you still have to live in that area. I would gladly pay central london costs for a better quality of life.

Also, you say that safety is lower in central london than around Queen's. Thats because criminals cant even bear to be there anymore so have relocated.

Oh yeh and this new gym that I should have acknowledged has completely changed my view of the place......actually, it hasnt.

This is just my opinion on my place. Some people might like it, but certainly not me.

First off - Mile End is an okay area to reside in. If you want deprivation, you would have to travel further down the road. Now that might be slim, but seeing as London is based on area's centred around the tube station, you would have to travel at least a tube stop down.
Mile End in itself has some very appealing points to it, including the parks. East London has an undeserved stigma attached. I know the crime better than anyone as I was a property manager for dozens of blocks based in London. Small maintenance was attached to east London blocks with security, lights, lifts etc. Now W1 is bad through to constant buglaries and breaking down doors etc. That was a headache.

Regarding your second paragraph - naa. No point returning comments to someone as ignorant as you.

And as for Kings - Now, that is one university I rejected purely based on their crappy adminstration and impersonal populous nature. We don't all end up choosing a university through its location.

I love people slating area's. God knows how they would act when they flee the nest. I ask them to refrain from independent living as you may end up having to deal with crime yourself.
Reply 92
walshie

And as for Kings - Now, that is one university I rejected purely based on their crappy adminstration and impersonal populous nature. We don't all end up choosing a university through its location.

Interestingly, that's exactly why I chose my Barts and The London (QM) offer over my Guys, Kings and St Thomas' (KCL) one...
Reply 93
Wouldnt you rather go somewhere with a little bit of prestigige rather than something with the look, feel and reputation of an old polytechnick??!
Reply 94
Bissman
Wouldnt you rather go somewhere with a little bit of prestigige rather than something with the look, feel and reputation of an old polytechnick??!

The engineering department is no better at Kings than it is at Queen Mary :wink:
I guess you wouldn't know that as you solely base your decision on location.
As far as prestige goes, the engineering department is exceptionally well regarded by many business folk and the university as a whole is not exactly looked upon as an old poly!
Reply 95
My descison is not purley based on location, but it says something of the attitude of the students if they choose to live in a dump like slobs
i dont get this if u hate queen mary so much stop slating it.... ent u got nething better to do in your time instead of trying to start arguments. U need to break out of your little shell and take a look around at the real world. So Bissman seeing as you are slating the uni so much have u taken a look in your back yard of Birmingham. As i recall the crime rates are quite high there and it isnt exactly a nice city once u get past Bournville and them areas. Also, who cares if QM was an old poly.... there not nemore! And trust me your not gonna get anywhere in your life if u start calling people slobs for no reason!
Reply 97
I live in the nice par of birmingham in coleshill love, wot was the point of neg repping me u lazy filthy slob!!!
Reply 98
RogueTrader

Well according to statistics (as you religiously like to observe), QMUL graduates command the 2nd highest salary after ICL*. Oxford is 7th. Money talks.

*Table: Best graduate starting salaries
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8405-1246744,00.html

You might think that the table is disputable. It's not. It just goes to show you can have good prospects at any DECENT university. Oxford might be your idea of a good education which I don't doubt for a second but the aim of traditional red brick uni's to adhere to the Oxbridge model is more or less fulfilled.

Bissman

Well not really. Prestige might help your insecurities and make you look good in front of your like minded peers, but when you hit the employment deck your all treated as equals. Prestige is an intangible asset, the onus is on you to make use of the university's resources and suceed. Any good student doesn't need prestige to drive them. Just the fact that they'll be challenged.

Bissman

Your going to be a slob anyway whether you like it or not! Slogging away at coursework, getting up at the crack of dawn and revising early hours of the morning will guarentee you a slobby life. Like it or lump it.

You can slate QM all your want but we speak the truth. If we think Mile End is a ****hole place to live, we'll tell you. It's just a normal, hustle bustle area, where no one bothers anyone. The fact that you'll be living on campus in the first year, there is nothing to fear as the village is a luxury for a first year student.

Fluffy - nice quote.
i think its just downright rude to be speaking of a university that many people on here go to, or are hoping to go to in that way. there are far more worse places that one could go to and/or live in, and im not gonna mention any names of them cos thats just as bad!

Latest

Trending

Trending