The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

robbo3045
Here we go, England* does not have a culture argument. Every country you go to has its own culture. If you go to Italy, you don't expect to go there, and be met with a modern day Iraq do you?

Get it right before you rant on others...
Eclectic Styles
What you've got there for your avatar. Can't remember what the real name is, but that's one of the names for it...

It is just called a Celtic cross. Nowhere can I find ti called a power cross.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
:lolwut: So where did I suggest that Britain doesn't have a culture? I'd really like to know. Where?

'What is British Culture', in other words, in my interpretation of this: You suggested that Britain does not have its own culture and is instead a melting pot of 100's of other countries.
robbo3045
'What is British Culture', in other words, in my interpretation of this: You suggested that Britain does not have its own culture and is instead a melting pot of 100's of other countries.

Yup, that's your interpretation.
Eclectic Styles
I'm just stupid and interfering.

Tell me about it.
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Yup, that's your interpretation.

So what did you mean?
robbo3045
So I see, others are allowed to be proud and express their culture, but people in Britain, aren't allowed to do so, or are not even allowed to own up to having one?

Where did I say that? We do express our culture. Football is part of our culture, so is cricket, hell, the way we talk to each other is part of our culture. We have Christmas, gay pride marches, going out to clubs, wearing short skirts, all part of our culture along with so many others. If people weren't allowed to go to the pub to watch a football game, THEN I might agree that we aren't allowed to express our culture, or if it was frowned on. It's not.
I don't think most people love it. I don't think multiculturalism affects most people in any way to be honest.
Reply 48
Do you not want to see and hear about other cultures? When you walk around Camdem town f.e, do you not love seeing all the different food stores, all the stalls which are from so many different corners of the world all in one place?

Now obviously thats a very positive part of multiculturalism and it does bring negatives aswell, however for the most part people like to be surrounded by other cultures, and it presents us with so much more choice.

Plus we're hardly a truly multi-cultural society; White British people still make up 90% of the country and apart from the large cities, we're hardly a hugely diverse country.
"Screw you and your war effort Grandpa, I'm going to eat BRATWURST!"
robbo3045
So what did you mean?

What exactly is defined as British culture? Is it the food, the monarchy etc.? And what part of British culture is being changed? That's itttttttttttt.
BHH
Immigration and multiculturalism are not necessarily the same thing. You can, for example, be pro-immigratio but anti-multiculturalism.

How does that make sense? If people are ok with people coming here do they expect them to forget about their culture and not bring it?
thatwhichiam
Where did I say that? We do express our culture. Football is part of our culture, so is cricket, hell, the way we talk to each other is part of our culture. We have Christmas, gay pride marches, going out to clubs, wearing short skirts, all part of our culture along with so many others. If people weren't allowed to go to the pub to watch a football game, THEN I might agree that we aren't allowed to express our culture, or if it was frowned on. It's not.

And it seems people on benefits and unemployment seems to be a bigger part of our culture now so many immigrate for professional jobs, that the government don't seem to think British people can do.
Reply 53
chronic_fatigue
How does that make sense? If people are ok with people coming here do they expect them to forget about their culture and not bring it?

Firstly, you can have immigrants who come from places where their culture isn't very different from the culture of their new country. I mean, the average German, for example, if she decided to move to the UK, is not going to have much of a culture clash, is she?

Secondly, why shouldn't people who come from different cultures drop, at least a certain amount, of their past culture and try and make an effort to integrate? You know, 'when in Rome do as the Romans'.

A third alternative, of course, is the melting pot system, which is sort of what you have in the US. It is sort of somewhere in between the multiculturalism option on the one hand and the 'when in Rome do as the Romans' on the other hand.
Reply 54
I'd prefer integration to multi culturalism. I can't see how having pakistani colonies brings any real benefit. That said, it seems to be natural as british people have created colonies in Spain.
robbo3045
And it seems people on benefits and unemployment seems to be a bigger part of our culture now so many immigrate for professional jobs, that the government don't seem to think British people can do.

What relation does that have to my comments? Also, yes Britain has a developing underclass, but they are by no means the largest proportion of the country. When they are, then they will be a big part of our culture. Yes people emigrate, but people have always emigrated. That has nothing to do with the culture within britain.

There is still plenty of British high culture which has nothing to do with 'chavs'. Have a look at some theatre listings, some British authors. It exists and is expressed and I at least am proud of British culture.
Reply 56
Freak-on-a-leash
Because it destroys our own culture. It's like we favour other cultures over our own and we change our country to suit their needs. If you went to stay at someone's house, you wouldn't move all the furniture around to suit your tastes.

Look at our culture we just take parts of other cultures and make it into our own.
BHH
Firstly, you can have immigrants who come from places where their culture isn't very different from the culture of their new country. I mean, the average German, for example, if she decided to move to the UK, is not going to have much of a culture clash, is she?

Secondly, why shouldn't people who come from different cultures drop, at least a certain amount, of their past culture and try and make an effort to integrate? You know, 'when in Rome do as the Romans'.

A third alternative, of course, is the melting pot system, which is sort of what you have in the US. It is sort of somewhere in between the multiculturalism option on the one hand and the 'when in Rome do as the Romans' on the other hand.

Most people who come do intergrate it is just some individuals that don't. But at the same time people like to share part of their culture. The german example you gave is true but they are not noticed because you can't really tell if someone is from another European countries maybe you can from their accent, to me people don't like people from outside the EU because the cultures have more differences.
Freak-on-a-leash
What's the point in having loads of different cultures in our country? I see no benefit. All it's doing is putting your middle finger up at all the men who fought to protect our country against the Germans in the world wars. Thousands of men have died to protect our values, and they're being thrown away in favour for a country without the culture they fought to protect. So why didn't we just surrender to the Germans if we were going to get rid of our culture anyway?

Oh man, I totally wanted a stormfag to appear here soon.

Because 'English' culture has always been polarised and has never existed as a full entity because of class divisions. the higher classes has a completely different culture to the working classes, both in sport, outlook on life and lifestyle itself. so we really have to define what 'british' culture is.

perhaps its the appreciation of british history. well that would be great if people in the country actually knew. Countless people in my area, which is very working class and filled with 'part-time nationalists' have no idea about the war of the roses,w illiam wilberforce or even modern history with prime ministers like harold wilson or edward heath, whilst many people in the middle and higher classes do. Perhaps its traditional english meals- those meals that arent really eaten in poor areas, whilst favoured in richer areas. which is why i find it funny that quaint english towns like york or somerset have a completely different culture to working class areas in SE London. Hence, multicultuarlism has existed prior to the influx of immigrants.

the second part is really on how you define multiculturalism, which requires you to define what their culture is. if an area with a high asian population serve goods to meet the demand of that population, ie. with food, then yes this could be multiculturalism, or at the same time, the effect of supply-demand economics, which you may not like very much.
Freak-on-a-leash
If you went to stay at someone's house, you wouldn't move all the furniture around to suit your tastes.
:biggrin: I don't agree with your argument, but I do like the analogy.

Latest

Trending

Trending