The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You very often have to do a foundation year regardless of having Art A Level. I think there are some places that don't require it but they're few and far between. The foundation year just introduces you to a wide range of materials etc. before you learn in more detail in an art degree.

Perhaps investigate FE colleges/HE colleges etc. that offer the foundation year and see what their stance is on only having Art AS ie. if they'll accept you on the course.
Reply 2
iaf
OP
Thank you leto:smile:
Reply 3
defo do a foundation, especially as you havent been able to do a full a level in art.
I did the same as you at GCSE and got A*A*, then did Applied Art&Design at A level getting AA, also an AS level in Fine Art getting a B. Ive just finished my foundation getting a pass with distinction so all is well BUT even with the good GCSE and A levels grade my portfolio wouldnt of been good enough to get to uni before the Foundation.
So basically go and do a foundation! its free if youre under 19 and you do it in one of your local colleges. You will have the opportunity to develop your drawing skills(which id say is pretty darn important) and learn all kidns of crazy new tchniques and skills that a levels dont offer. soooooooo go for it!

EDIT
Dont worry the foundation courses wont be botherd about you not having complete a levels in art. Put a variety of work in your portfolio. Observational drawings are a must, any life drawing would be a plus - dont panic if you havent done any, most people dont get to do it until Foundation level. Sketchbooks are always good to look at as well, that way the tutors are able to see how you have dveloped an idea. and if you have any 3d work, photograph it, dont take it to the interview.
Reply 4
iaf
OP
Thank you burrface that was very helpful:smile:
Reply 5
iaf
Hello everyone....I'm sorry if I'm asking about this in the wrong forum....but I wanted to know peoples opinions....I want to apply to The Slade school of fine arts, and for A level I'm doing these subjects: Religous studies, Product design and Drama (I know not a very good combo:frown:)
I'm not doing art for A level because my school did not offer it.... I'm picking art up next year when all my other subjects will be A2 and the art will be AS, would the uni consider me with only half an A level in art? Would I have to do a foundation year of art?
Idk I am very confused....
Also could anybody give me advice on what to include in portfolios etc. Please and thank you. The more advice I get the better:smile:

Before people start saying do your reasearch on the uni etc, I have done the research and I need peoples opinions prefrably students who are studying fine art....

P.S I got a A*A* in art and design at GCSE level....
Thank you very much anyone who does try to help:smile:

60% have done a foundation prior to starting their BA @ slade school of arts
Reply 6
Burrface
defo do a foundation, especially as you havent been able to do a full a level in art.
I did the same as you at GCSE and got A*A*, then did Applied Art&Design at A level getting AA, also an AS level in Fine Art getting a B. Ive just finished my foundation getting a pass with distinction so all is well BUT even with the good GCSE and A levels grade my portfolio wouldnt of been good enough to get to uni before the Foundation.
So basically go and do a foundation! its free if youre under 19 and you do it in one of your local colleges. You will have the opportunity to develop your drawing skills(which id say is pretty darn important) and learn all kidns of crazy new tchniques and skills that a levels dont offer. soooooooo go for it!

EDIT
Dont worry the foundation courses wont be botherd about you not having complete a levels in art. Put a variety of work in your portfolio. Observational drawings are a must, any life drawing would be a plus - dont panic if you havent done any, most people dont get to do it until Foundation level. Sketchbooks are always good to look at as well, that way the tutors are able to see how you have dveloped an idea. and if you have any 3d work, photograph it, dont take it to the interview.

if ur doing your BA now and if yes what route did u choose after your foundation and at what uni. hope u dnt mind me asking all these questions
Reply 7
xxsaraxx7
if ur doing your BA now and if yes what route did u choose after your foundation and at what uni. hope u dnt mind me asking all these questions

I'm about to start Illustration at Lincoln. Not a prestigious art school or anything but I'm not too far away from home and I feel safe and comfortable in the city. I suprised myself in my choice really! hehe
Reply 8
Burrface
I'm about to start Illustration at Lincoln. Not a prestigious art school or anything but I'm not too far away from home and I feel safe and comfortable in the city. I suprised myself in my choice really! hehe

If the uni is right for you is what matters, what other unis did you apply to and where any of the offers conditional even though u did a foundation.

ahh hope u dnt mind me asking these questions its just applying to uni v.soon
Reply 9
xxsaraxx7
If the uni is right for you is what matters, what other unis did you apply to and where any of the offers conditional even though u did a foundation.

ahh hope u dnt mind me asking these questions its just applying to uni v.soon

I applied to Lincoln, Falmouth, Bristol and Brighton.
I quickly um withdrew from Bristol and Brighton though- I didnt really want to go to either but my tutor made me apply to at least 4.
My interview for Lincoln was in January and i received a conditional offer (to pass the foundation course)
For Falmouth I had to send a portfolio on CD, a little essay on illustration and why i want to go to falmouth, then i had an interview and i did rubbish so I was unsuccesfull there :frown:

I didnt apply to 5 places because I couldnt find 5 places i wanted to go to.
i got accepted into Reading university to do fine art and my a levels were Art, Biology, Computing and English Lit :P

Latest