The Student Room Group

Uni Options: Dentistry or Pharmacy?

Hey Guys,

I'm studying my A-Levels and I'm going to apply to Uni in September.
Right my situation is slightly complicated.

I'm studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Business Studies.

In my first AS year, I had to go away abroad as close relative was terminally ill. I took some time out of college and hence I missed quite a bit of work. So in my AS year I only ended up sitting the exams for Chemistry and Business Studies. I then decided with college that I would then stay on an extra year. In my second year, which I have now completed, I have studied A2 Chemistry and A2 Business Studies, and started my AS Biology and AS Maths again.

In my third year, next year I will complete my A2 Biology and A2 Maths. I will also pursue other activities such as Extended Project and voluntary service.

I would really like to apply for Dentistry but the Careers advisor said although I'm a high achieving student they would not consider me at Leeds Uni as I have taken 3 years.

Therefore instead of having my heart totally set on Dentistry I have also thought about studying Pharmacy.

I have carried out some voluntary service about a month or so and I will be doing more in the summer. I have done a one day work experience placement at a Dentist and I have got a week in the summer hols. I have also applied to some Pharmacists for work experience.

So what do you guys think is the best route for me to take.
I would like to have one of my options for Dentistry but my others for Pharmacy.
I would find it hard to write a personal statement that targets both courses.
Reply 1
You have extenuating circumstances and so if this is mentioned on you reference, universities will consider you for dentistry. Pharmacy on the other hand will accept you regardless of finishing your a levels after 3 years at most universities. If you are going to apply for dentistry do not mention anything about pharmacy in your personal statement or you will be rejected instantly. A lot of dentistry/medicine put pharmacy as their 5th choice and get offers. For dentistry you will need AAA at all unis but for pharmacy offers range from AAA to BCC.
Let me stress again DO NOT apply for dentistry if you are going to mention pharmacy in your personal statement.
Reply 2
You have extenuating circumstances and so if this is mentioned on you reference, universities will consider you for dentistry. Pharmacy on the other hand will accept you regardless of finishing your a levels after 3 years at most universities. If you are going to apply for dentistry do not mention anything about pharmacy in your personal statement or you will be rejected instantly. A lot of dentistry/medicine put pharmacy as their 5th choice and get offers. For dentistry you will need AAA at all unis but for pharmacy offers range from AAA to BCC.
Let me stress again DO NOT apply for dentistry if you are going to mention pharmacy in your personal statement.
Original post by ben_smith
Hey Guys,

I'm studying my A-Levels and I'm going to apply to Uni in September.
Right my situation is slightly complicated.

I'm studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Business Studies.

In my first AS year, I had to go away abroad as close relative was terminally ill. I took some time out of college and hence I missed quite a bit of work. So in my AS year I only ended up sitting the exams for Chemistry and Business Studies. I then decided with college that I would then stay on an extra year. In my second year, which I have now completed, I have studied A2 Chemistry and A2 Business Studies, and started my AS Biology and AS Maths again.

In my third year, next year I will complete my A2 Biology and A2 Maths. I will also pursue other activities such as Extended Project and voluntary service.

I would really like to apply for Dentistry but the Careers advisor said although I'm a high achieving student they would not consider me at Leeds Uni as I have taken 3 years.

Therefore instead of having my heart totally set on Dentistry I have also thought about studying Pharmacy.

I have carried out some voluntary service about a month or so and I will be doing more in the summer. I have done a one day work experience placement at a Dentist and I have got a week in the summer hols. I have also applied to some Pharmacists for work experience.

So what do you guys think is the best route for me to take.
I would like to have one of my options for Dentistry but my others for Pharmacy.
I would find it hard to write a personal statement that targets both courses.

You can't apply for Denistry and Pharmacy as they are totally different and you can only have one personal statement. Email Leeds and other universities and see what their position is, as you had extenuating circumstances they may be willing to be lenient.
Original post by jelly1000
You can't apply for Denistry and Pharmacy as they are totally different and you can only have one personal statement. Email Leeds and other universities and see what their position is, as you had extenuating circumstances they may be willing to be lenient.

Actually, although it is usually completely true that totally different courses will get you a rejection, medically related courses are pretty used to being used as backup for medics and dentists and understand that different rules apply. One of my students got in for pharmacy during clearing after four rejections for dentistry last year.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Actually, although it is usually completely true that totally different courses will get you a rejection, medically related courses are pretty used to being used as backup for medics and dentists and understand that different rules apply. One of my students got in for pharmacy during clearing after four rejections for dentistry last year.

ah fair enough
Reply 6
Original post by jelly1000

You can apply for dentistry and use pharmacy as a 5th and get an offer at most of the unis for pharmacy. However it doesnt work the other way around.
Its unfortunate for pharmacy since the degree is difficult but is in a bad light due to the number of medicine and dentistry rejects on the course
Original post by teen1234
You can apply for dentistry and use pharmacy as a 5th and get an offer at most of the unis for pharmacy. However it doesnt work the other way around.
Its unfortunate for pharmacy since the degree is difficult but is in a bad light due to the number of medicine and dentistry rejects on the course

thanks for clearing that one up.
Original post by teen1234

thanks for clearing that one up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending