The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Go languages. :sexface:
I find it interesting that Biology has a lower unemployment rate than Engineering.
Reply 42
im so academic
Wtf? Mathematical Sciences at 30% and Physical Sciences 18%?

So much for science degrees in demand then. :rolleyes:

That is their RISE, not their absolute unemployment.
Reply 43
I looked at jobs that various graduates are in recently from one university. It was pretty funny to be honest, the non-science subjects had lots of graduates either unemployed or working as a sales assistant in places such as O2, Boots, etc. Whereas the science-subject graduates were all employed by big companies which were relevant to their degree.
Glad I have my placement now. Least I'll have something extra once I graduate. I am surprised though. The figures have to include IT and other computer degrees surely? Even if they don't, I suppose you have the fact a lot of people do a CS degree not really knowing what it involves in the first place, so aren't really suited to it.

andyb86
i am an IT graduate and am not surprised, i can honestly say 90% of IT graduate only major in web development and programming and most of them they don't do work experience or gained a professional qualification certificate that the industry so much recommends, i for one did Networking :smile:

IT is not Computer Science.
im so academic
Article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10477551.stm

It's not surprising that the rate for Medicine is 0%, but Computer Science is at 17%?

One of the most respected degrees on TSR?

In addition, the "hardcore" Engineering has one of the highest with 13%?

Anyone quite shocked with this?

Personally I was expecting degrees like Media, Film to be top on the list; albeit Communications and Creative Arts had rates of 14% and 13% respectively.

Your opinions?

Those unemployed (after six months) could have been those who got 3rds and partied all summer instead of getting work experience.

In fact, they probably were. Go to any respected computer science or engineering department and ask the final year students that are on course for a 2.1 or above and have gained some relevant work experience if they have jobs lined up for after graduation and the majority will probably say yes.

And this also says nothing of what graduates go on to do after they graduate. It didn't say that it didn't include those who were unemployed after graduation because they were pursuing further study. It didn't say that those who did things like, say, English Literature then went on to get a job relevant to their study. Computer Science and Engineering grads are most likely hanging to get a job related to their field, whereas others are settling for Maccy D's or other basic retail work.
alex-hs

So, one might conclude that, given the difficult economic climate,
Computer Science has done better than many other disciplines.

One might conclude that. One also might conclude that things were already bad in IT (as they were) and so when things got worse it wasn't as dramatic.

I don't think trying to spin the stats is helpful. Tell students the truth - the IT sector has been in the doldrums in the UK for a number of years and it has got worse during this economic crisis. Industry is far more interested in experienced, vocationally trained professionals than first degree computer graduates - sorry.
Can people please differentiate between IT and Computer Science.
They are both very different discipline's.
Reply 48
im so academic
Wtf? Mathematical Sciences at 30% and Physical Sciences 18%?

So much for science degrees in demand then. :rolleyes:

Part of the problem is that science graduates don't want or cannot do science and technology jobs which is why you get the seemingly conflicting messages represented below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10477551.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/may/18/skills-shortage-worsens

In the past, large numbers of UK science and engineering graduates (for whatever reason) have turned their nose up at science and technology and sought more lucrative careers in areas such as legal and financial services where their skills were also sought after. Now that these sectors have taken a hit during the economic downturn it is not surprising that science graduates are also struggling.
WelshBluebird
Can people please differentiate between IT and Computer Science.
They are both very different discipline's.

Not when it comes to graduate jobs by and large.
ChemistBoy

Granted it does depend on which road you go down, but for quite a lot of CS based graduate jobs, you'd be laughed at if you went in with only an IT qualification.
shiny
Part of the problem is that science graduates don't want or cannot do science and technology jobs which is why you get the seemingly conflicting messages represented below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10477551.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/may/18/skills-shortage-worsens

In the past, large numbers of UK science and engineering graduates (for whatever reason) have turned their nose up at science and technology and sought more lucrative careers in areas such as legal and financial services where their skills were also sought after. Now that these sectors have taken a hit during the economic downturn it is not surprising that science graduates are also struggling.

Large-scale engineering, industry and construction have all taken a hit too. Graduate jobs in science and technology are just as thin on the ground now.
Reply 52
ChemistBoy

Theres a reason the top universities dont offer a degree in IT. The difference between the two is huge.

As someone once said on here, IT is the Media Studies to Computer Science's English.
THRASHx
Theres a reason the top universities dont offer a degree in IT. The difference between the two is huge.

As someone once said on here, IT is the Media Studies to Computer Science's English.

I'm not talking about degrees I'm talking about jobs! Comp Sci grads often go into IT, which is why people are talking about IT. Most comp sci grads never use the random programming languages and mathematics they learn ever again, they just run and manage IT projects like IT graduates do.
Reply 54
ChemistBoy
Large-scale engineering, industry and construction have all taken a hit too. Graduate jobs in science and technology are just as thin on the ground now.

Yeah, it sucks generally but there was a bit of slack in some areas of science and technology because I know there are some areas of engineering where it is still very difficult to fill posts (those areas are just not sexy enough any more). There are some potentially really good opportunities overseas though (e.g. Germany, China) but unfortunately most Brits (and I include myself) suck at foreign languages and we lack the language skills to fully take advantage.

Message to anyone: if you get a chance to do a year out overseas and develop language skills - take it!

I'm just glad I'm not looking for a job right now! :eek:
Reply 55
If you look at any big internet-businesses like Google, Opera, Facebook or any others then most of the jobs require the following:
BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline preferred.

Taken straight from Google. It gives some hope to me as a future CS student.
THRASHx
If you look at any big internet-businesses like Google, Opera, Facebook or any others then most of the jobs require the following:
BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related technical discipline preferred.

Taken straight from Google. It gives some hope to me as a future CS student.

Getting into Google is harder than getting into Goldman Sachs. True story.
Reply 57
verticalforce
Getting into Google is harder than getting into Goldman Sachs. True story.

Is this serious or not? :o: If so, how?
THRASHx

Serious. Use Google. :zomg:
Reply 59
THRASHx

Google is one of the most powerful, most pioneering businesses on the planet. They are only going to be interested in the very best of computer scientists. I happen to know, for example, that Google likes to scout university CS researchers. They wouldn't be doing this if they wanted code monkeys.

Latest

Trending

Trending