The Student Room Group

Computer Science - highest graduate unemployment rate in 2009

Article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10477551.stm

It's not surprising that the rate for Medicine is 0%, but Computer Science is at 17%?

One of the most respected degrees on TSR?

In addition, the "hardcore" Engineering has one of the highest with 13%?

Anyone quite shocked with this?

Personally I was expecting degrees like Media, Film to be top on the list; albeit Communications and Creative Arts had rates of 14% and 13% respectively.

Your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im so academic
Article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10477551.stm

It's not surprising that the rate for Medicine is 0%, but Computer Science is at 17%?

One of the most respected degrees on TSR?

In addition, the "hardcore" Engineering has one of the highest with 13%?

Anyone quite shocked with this?

Personally I was expecting degrees like Media, Film to be top on the list; albeit Communications and Creative Arts had rates of 14% and 13% respectively.

Your opinions?

Explains why I am employed.Anyway, moving along swiftly...
Reply 2
IT - highest graduate unemployment rate in 2009
Reply 3
Reminds me of someone on an Al Murray (comedian) show. Some guy in the audience did Computer Science at univeristy and ended up driving a forklift :biggrin:.
Reply 4
Mr Smurf
driving a forklift.

Sneaky edit. Fortcliff indeed.
Reply 5
Don't say this! I'm studying computer science come October!
caaakeeey
IT - highest graduate unemployment rate in 2009

There's a big distinction between IT and Computer Science, and I don't feel the BBC is that bad to make that kind of mistake. :s-smilie:

Even then, surely IT is the lesser of two evils than "other" degrees?
Reply 7
I guess it depends what they mean by 'Computer Science', I see that the next "subject" is simply 'Communications' and there is an also an 'Education' "subject".

Basically put, if CS includes every comptuer related degree such as game design, IT, ICT, etc. then it's not too surprising. If however it simply includes just Comptuer Science graduates I'd be surprised.

Also, there is a 1% difference between the highest lowest rate and the lowest highest rate, so where are all the other subjects? You're not telling me that they're all at 10.5%? There must be some higher than 10% and some lower than 10% which would knock the current subjects off of the respective lists
spyka
I guess it depends what they mean by 'Computer Science', I see that the next "subject" is simply 'Communications' and there is an also an 'Education' "subject".

Basically put, if CS includes every comptuer related degree such as game design, IT, ICT, etc. then it's not too surprising. If however it simply includes just Comptuer Science graduates I'd be surprised.

Also, there is a 1% difference between the highest lowest rate and the lowest highest rate, so where are all the other subjects? You're not telling me that they're all at 10.5%? There must be some higher than 10% and some lower than 10% which would knock the current subjects off of the respective lists

Exactly, that's what I thought. I was wondering "where are all the other degrees"?
After a huge recession that has massively affected the large scale construction, engineering and banking sectors people are surprised that graduates with IT and Engineering skills are finding it tough to get work? What planet are you all on?
im so academic
Exactly, that's what I thought. I was wondering "where are all the other degrees"?

I was also wondering that.
Someone with a computer science degree is probably holding out for a CS job. Someone with a film studies degree probably just got a job in retail or something.
ChemistBoy
After a huge recession that has massively affected the large scale construction, engineering and banking sectors people are surprised that graduates with IT and Engineering skills are finding it tough to get work? What planet are you all on?

How come micky mouse graduates aren't as badly affected?
TheProdigy2k9
I was also wondering that.

Aston don't seem to offer straight Economics :holmes:
Just seems to stress the importance of getting a 2.i or above. As it's obviously more competitive.
I know a few people who really shouldn't have chosen CS, but still have offers for it at top unis. Like someone who understands the meaning of java code in alevel computing about as much as typing cheat codes into a game.

I doubt these people are strong job applicants and probably end up with a poor degree too.
Reply 16
I think BBC has covered all the computer related courses in 'Computer Science'.. I dont think a degree which is in high demand in USA, Canada, Australia and even in my country Pakistan has such a bad ratings in UK.. It makes me think UK is alien :biggrin:
yoyo462001
Aston don't seem to offer straight Economics :holmes:

I know, it's International Business & Economics.
prospectivEEconomist
How come micky mouse graduates aren't as badly affected?

Because service sector actually isn't that badly affected (look at how the large retailers are doing). Large scale construction, engineering and manufacturing are always worst hit by economic turndown in the UK - there are clearly a lot of engineering and IT jobs affected by that. The double whammy for IT is that most other large companies will scale back their IT project spend as a way of cutting costs without massively affecting core business in the short-term.
Reply 19
imwan
I think BBC has covered all the computer related courses in 'Computer Science'.. I dont think a degree which is in high demand in USA, Canada, Australia and even in my country Pakistan has such a bad ratings in UK.. It makes me think UK is alien :biggrin:

Its not the BBC's statistics, its from the HESA. Its not computer related courses, it is just Computer Science, e.g. people who graduated with a BSc in Computer Science.

Latest

Trending

Trending