Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Edinburgh... Medicine ?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok basically I've heard from alot of people that Edinburgh is bias to scottish student especially when compared with english students, in terms of offers and applications.
    I was wondering if you got an offer for medicine at Edinburgh; what was your offer and nationality?

Should help to clear things up for me .... If anyone has any comments or advice it's welcome
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading somewhere on TSR that the admissions office told a rejected applicant that they run on a points system.

Live in Edinburgh, Scotland, Northern England ? X points
    Have your parents been to university? X points
    Does your school send very few pupils to university? X points
    Do you come from a deprived background/estate? X points

This year the points requirement was 10, minimum. I forgot what the points were for each of the criteria but it is around on TSR somewhere
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godin_D)
    Ok basically I've heard from alot of people that Edinburgh is bias to scottish student especially when compared with english students, in terms of offers and applications.
    I was wondering if you got an offer for medicine at Edinburgh; what was your offer and nationality?
    They don't favour Scottish students as such. For some courses they might show a slight bias to those residing in the Edinburgh area, and possibly the wider region and Northern England (at least as far as the River Tees).

So you can still live in Scotland but not be Scottish, and those living in the North of England (Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, County Durham, Cumbria) are usually English.

Subtle point but one worth making.

If Edinburgh do have show bias to those living in some extended region/catchment area then this isn't unusual. A number of universities do when it comes to giving offers and/or student finance (increased grants from those who live in local postcodes).

Even with any bias, the majority of students at Edinburgh will be from outside this selected area. So there are still significant numbers of students from outside Scotland and the far north of England who receive offers.

All my friends who applied to Edinbugh received offers (this was in 2002). Still, that's not saying much, as the school's on Tyneside....

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 5, 2010
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.