I got there before you! :biggrin:

I saw.
I saw he did it before but let him off.
But then he was arrogant with it.

Not in my house.
Reply 21
Mann18
And what exactly would that be like?

Pot, kettle and black, all in the space of 5 minutes.

I fail to see how I am being a hypocrite. I am white, I see many people in state schools, some of them I have had the pleasure of meeting, act like black people from pop culture. Thereby earning them the title 'Wiggas'.
Reply 22
That article is certainly taking it a bit extreme. It's really not that full of rahs.

But OP, since when as a common room rah?
Reply 23
spazman21
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article7041470.ece

Funny article about the influx of 'rahs' at Newcastle uni. I must admit I do go to a horrendously expensive public school, but by no means am I a 'rah.' The type of people talked about in the article are despicable and I know exactly who they are. Girls acting dumb, wearing jack wills, back-brushing their hair, fake tan etc. Boys... Well... my common room (yes very 'rah' I know) is filled with people exatly like that. Racist, bigoted, obtuse, narrow-minded, oblivious and frankly quite boring people. Their insular existance is one that I am lucky to have escaped...

:rofl:
Reply 24
Ocassus
I fail to see how I am being a hypocrite. I am white, I see many people in state schools, some of them I have had the pleasure of meeting, act like black people from pop culture. Thereby earning them the title 'Wiggas'.

The hypocrisy is telling someone they shouldn't label all people as being the same, then overgeneralising massively about a group of people as you just did.

Not really cricket.
And my girlfriend went to an open day at Newcastle yesterday...
Reply 26
Mann18
You quite clearly are trying to demonstrate that you have a good vocabulary, but your time would be better spent ensuring your spelling is correct.

As it hasn't been thus far.

Typos are fairly common you know.
Reply 27
Then there are tales of gangs of rahs shouting, “Watch your wallets!” when they walk past a black guy in the street, and more than one tearful girl has been heard on the phone to Mummy wailing: “I’m surrounded by poverty!”
Reply 28
Mann18
The hypocrisy is telling someone they shouldn't label all people as being the same, then overgeneralising massively about a group of people as you just did.

Not really cricket.

In the context of 'Because you are making stereotypes, so I am going to make the same because you are'.
Reply 29
The poor northerners probably haven't ever seen a mobile phone before, that's why the article is here. They just see them as posh because they have southern accents and aren't wearing tracksuits.
Reply 30
Amit92
Then there are tales of gangs of rahs shouting, “Watch your wallets!” when they walk past a black guy in the street, and more than one tearful girl has been heard on the phone to Mummy wailing: “I’m surrounded by poverty!”

Thats called being stupid, that is in no way at all correlated to being rich.
Reply 31
PJ991
That article is certainly taking it a bit extreme. It's really not that full of rahs.

But OP, since when as a common room rah?

A lot of public schools have common rooms for the pupils in their houses.
I haven't come across that many Rahs on my course, as they are all international students.

But yeh, Rahs are pretty annoying because they are at the top of the social chain. This culture pretty much continues throughout life, as we live in a pretty rigid class system, whether people want to believe it or not.

If you don't like, or fit into this culture, do yourself a favor and work abroad as an expat!
Reply 33
Anyone got a link to that facebook group mentioned?
Reply 34
spazman21
Typos are fairly common you know.

Indeed they are.
Hence why I refrained from commenting on the issue earlier.
But then you had to go and attempt to patronise the person with which you were conversing earlier (and I even did you the favour of assuming your condescending attitude to me earlier was accidental.)

And that's when I became overwhelmed with righteous indignation and decided to throw my gauntlet down.

And I'll be damned if you intend to pick it up.
Reply 35
themanbearpig
I haven't come across that many Rahs on my course, as they are all international students.

But yeh, Rahs are pretty annoying because they are at the top of the social chain. This culture pretty much continues throughout life, as we live in a pretty rigid class system, whether people want to believe it or not.

If you don't like, or fit into this culture, do yourself a favor and work abroad as an expat!

Being an expat is absolutely awesome, I assure you, having lived in three different countries besides Britain :smile:.

People seem to hate others who are lucky in life, it is a very silly notion. Jealousy truly is awful.
Reply 36
Mann18
Indeed they are.
Hence why I refrained from commenting on the issue earlier.
But then you had to go and attempt to patronise the person with which you were conversing earlier (and I even did you the favour of assuming your condescending attitude to me earlier was accidental.)

And that's when I became overwhelmed with righteous indignation and decided to throw my gauntlet down.

And I'll be damned if you intend to pick it up.

'Throw down the gauntlet' : A challenge to a duel from the middle ages.

I accept your challenge sir, shall I use my dueling pistol or rapier?

:duel:
Reply 37
Ocassus
Thats called being stupid, that is in no way at all correlated to being rich.

The latter would be. Why would someone be surrounded by poverty at a world class university let alone a national one?
Reply 38
Ocassus
In the context of 'Because you are making stereotypes, so I am going to make the same because you are'.

See, I'm not so sure.

Your point was that it's unfair to call all white people who "act like black people" chav wiggas, as that's overgeneralising.

But by saying that, you've committed the offence you were hung up about Rahpert here committing.

Unless I've misread your post.
In which case I apologise profusely.
Reply 39
Ocassus
'Throw down the gauntlet' : A challenge to a duel from the middle ages.

I accept your challenge sir, shall I use my dueling pistol or rapier?

:duel:

Sir, I have no substantial beef with you.

Permit me to decline the offer.

But if you were to force my hand, I would of course request the humble rapier.

:fight:

Latest