The Student Room Group

Don't know whether to go to uni, help!

So I've got a place at Leicester university to do American studies. I know a lot of people think it's a Mickey Mouse subject, and that's a big part of the reason that I'm starting to have doubts. Originally I applied to do Psychology and Sociology but I realised I was getting a bit sick of those subjects and American studies seemed interesting because it's so varied in what you study, and I haven't really seen many other courses that appeal to me.
I'm currently employed on a 6 month contract for a local Parish Council as an Assistant Clerk, I enjoy it and the pay is pretty good, but this will end at the end of September. If I choose not to go to uni, I'm worried I'll end up back on jobseekers allowance like I was before I got this job, or in some dead-end job like Tesco, not getting anywhere. At the same time, though, if I do this degree, I might be hardly any better off prospects-wise at the end of the 3 years, and there's all that debt on top of it.
I guess one of my biggest problems is that I really don't have much direction in terms of what career I want to do. Something like what I'm doing now would be fine, or something to do with travel, but I'm so worried that I'll just waste 3 years and not get anywhere if I don't go to uni.
Is it worth me going or not? Advice please!!
Reply 1
Hmm... You need to be 100% sure that University will be the right thing for you. I started Uni last year, but went into it half heartedly. I dropped out a little while before my exams, and now don't know where to go from here.

If the same thing happens to you, then you'll be back on job seekers, or in a dead end job, with £6000+ debt!!

ATM, I'm trying to reevaluate my situation, and form some sort of career plan that I'm going to be 100% behind. Maybe you could do the same?

Just be careful, and give it a lot of thought. That's all i can say really.

Latest

Trending

Trending