The Student Room Group

Recommend any French grammars?

Hi! :rambo:

Basically, I'm looking to improve my French, and I would like to know the names of a few grammar books which - in your opinion - would be a worthwhile purchase. Ideally, I would like a book going from basics (well, this isn't necessary, but preferable) to undergraduate Modern Languages degree level.

Thanks for your help :cool:
New Simpler French Course (something along thse lines) by WFH Whitmarsh. He's fabulous :biggrin: It's from the 60s, but the cover's bright orange and looks like 70s wallpaper (a clear sign he was ahead of his time, according to my French teacher) and it has paragraphs for translation both ways, 150ish paragraphs on different grammatical points (numbered so you can look up tricky points from the translation) and a really big verb table and vocab list at the back :smile:

Edit: There were about 10 copies on amazon for £1 each, but they're all gone now :frown:
Reply 2
Bescherelle. It's French though.
Bescherelle is one of the best French Grammar books. I have it in French but there is an English edition : here
Reply 4
It depends on what level your French is at the moment. I've just finished an UG degree in French, and my university recommended "French Grammar in Context: Analysis and Practice" by Annie Rouxeville and Margaret Jubb for first-year students. It's not bad at explaining the basics but it doesn't go much beyond that. I used "A Comprehensive French Grammar" by Glanville Price, but it might be overkill if you're just starting out.
Reply 5
Help yourself to advanced French grammar by Mireille Ribière has worked well for me, as well as the Bescherelle :smile:
Reply 6
Fysidiko
It depends on what level your French is at the moment. I've just finished an UG degree in French, and my university recommended "French Grammar in Context: Analysis and Practice" by Annie Rouxeville and Margaret Jubb for first-year students. It's not bad at explaining the basics but it doesn't go much beyond that. I used "A Comprehensive French Grammar" by Glanville Price, but it might be overkill if you're just starting out.

I'm probably either going to buy the Glanville Price, or "Advanced French Grammar" by Monique L'Huillier :smile:
Reply 7
byham2010
I'm probably either going to buy the Glanville Price, or "Advanced French Grammar" by Monique L'Huillier :smile:

Thinking about it, you could probably do worse than popping down to your local library and having a look through a few. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another, and they're rather expensive.

If you've got a university near you they're bound to have a variety in their library.

Latest

Trending

Trending