The Student Room Group

Bumping up my grade for next year

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on placement and due to return to uni this September to start my final year...

In my 2nd year i did very badly with an average of 52.8%, this is mainly due to personal circumstances at the time...

Anyone have any idea what bearing the 3rd year has against my degree? i've heard its as high as 70% of the final mark comes from the 3rd year?

I'm hoping to push this up to a 1st... Is it possible?

Appreciate your advice... cheers.
D4ftpunk
Hi everyone,

I'm currently on placement and due to return to uni this September to start my final year...

In my 2nd year i did very badly with an average of 52.8%, this is mainly due to personal circumstances at the time...

Anyone have any idea what bearing the 3rd year has against my degree? i've heard its as high as 70% of the final mark comes from the 3rd year?

I'm hoping to push this up to a 1st... Is it possible?

Appreciate your advice... cheers.

lol its all dependent on your degree, your faculty and your uni its not one size fits all.
Reply 2
It depends. My uni is weighted 25/75. Some universities are entirely 3rd year based. It's possible :smile:
Reply 3
ah ok... thanks for the replies guys, i've messaged my personal tutor, hope he replies soon...

if its 50/50 i've have to achieve an average of over 90% next year to obtain a final grade of above 70% :s

Say its 30/70 what will i have to average next year?
D4ftpunk
ah ok... thanks for the replies guys, i've messaged my personal tutor, hope he replies soon...

if its 50/50 i've have to achieve an average of over 90% next year to obtain a final grade of above 70% :s

Dont start guessing youll get your hopes up, it says in your student handbook or your uni site how it is all weighted.
Reply 5
D4ftpunk

Slightly over 77, so this probably isn't a terribly realistic scenario, I'm afraid...
Reply 6
77 hmm... well thats better than 90... i'd say do-able... and in the worst case... i'll get a very high 2:1...

To the person who said don't get my hopes up... i need to set myself high goals... otherwise i won't acheive at all unfortunately, i love putting a number on everything so if i know what i need to get, i'm more likely to acheive it.

Thanks everyone :smile:
Reply 7
Just found out my uni is 25/75... so guess less than 77%, if hobnob could adjust that figure for me i'd appreciate :smile: (76% right?)
Reply 8
D4ftpunk
Just found out my uni is 25/75... so guess less than 77%, if hobnob could adjust that figure for me i'd appreciate :smile:

Slightly over 75, but surely you could have figured that out for yourself? I'm genuinely surprised at the number of people here who apparently can't do simple percentages.:s-smilie:

Edit: Oh, OK, you edited your post while I was writing mine. I take it back.:p:
Reply 9
D4ftpunk
77 hmm... well thats better than 90... i'd say do-able... and in the worst case... i'll get a very high 2:1...

Well, it really depends on your subject... 75-77 is only a 'doable' kind of average if you're doing a sciency subject; for humanities or social sciences it's practically impossible to average that. There may be a handful of exceptions, but it really isn't very likely to happen, so unless you're the kind of person who doesn't really mind if they end up missing overambitious goals by a mile, it'll probably be more realistic if you aim for a highish 2.1.:dontknow:
D4ftpunk

To the person who said don't get my hopes up... i need to set myself high goals... otherwise i won't acheive at all unfortunately, i love putting a number on everything so if i know what i need to get, i'm more likely to acheive it.

Thanks everyone :smile:

I didnt mean setting goals, i was referring to working out percentages for all the possibilities of how your uni decide your degree - dont get your hopes up that it will be the easiest for you to obtain, it could be any.

Of course now you found it on the website you know. I thought I was pretty clear in replying to your question that this is what i meant.
Reply 11
I'm doing Computer Science, so although some work is coursework based where its hard to obtain high marks, there is a "right answer" for most of the exam papers... meaning you can turn out with results like 80-90% per exam.

Fingers Crossed eh!?

Latest

Trending

Trending