The Student Room Group

Advice To Year 12 Students For The Summer

Brought to you by the Revision Thread Master :sexface:

Research Courses

Research as many courses as possible that you may want to do at university. Look at what each course offers you in terms of modules and support, then make a list of about 10 universities you want to go to (10 just incase you do better or worse than expected in your exams. 3 High, 4 Medium and 3 Low would be good).

Personal Statement

I cannot stress to you how important your personal statement will be, espcially due to the fact that the competition you will be facing will be immense. Make a draft, and constantly improve it whenever you can, gradually making it better and better. It will also be better if you get your statement to be reviewed by a PS Helper (from personal experience, they are better than teachers).

Reading/Research

Do as much reading around the subject you want to do as possible. Read more than one book, so you can really show interest in your subject in your personal statement. No matter what the subject is, mentioning a book (and your thoughts on the book) is a good way to go.

Also consider doing different kinds of projects in order to strengthen your application. You may decide to do an Extended Project; or even national projects (such as Young Economist of the Year, if you want to do economics). It shows that you are serious about the course you want to do, while also broadening your knowledge around the subject.

Work Experience (optional)

For science subjects, this is very important. Get as much experience as possible: whether it is shadowing a doctor; or working in a care home. Whilst doing it, write down all the skills you had to use to tackle problems or do specific tasks during your work experience. This is very useful when writing your personal statement.

Work experience may also be useful for: Politics, Journalism, Media, Accounting/Finance, and many other applied subjects.

Resits

The moment you get your results, start planning what modules you are going to resit. This allows you to prepare for them as early as possible, and also slightly eases the pressure in June (which is stressful because: Heat + Revision = :colonhash:)

Enjoy yourself

In anyway possible :sexface:

JayAyy
A very bored person :awesome:
Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:
Merci beaucoup!
Reply 3
thanks
Hi, year 13 student here. Personally reading and work experience is pointless for 90% of courses and you can just exaggerate like everyone else does. The personal statement is the biggest joke ever, UCAS is basically assessing your ************ skills. I would suggest researching your courses, but lets be honest none of you really know exactly what you want. And if you think that you do, you certainly won't want those same things in a few years time. So i suggest you all go to bbqs, the beach and drink.
Reply 5
explosions hurt
Hi, year 13 student here. Personally reading and work experience is pointless for 90% of courses and you can just exaggerate like everyone else does. The personal statement is the biggest joke ever, UCAS is basically assessing your ************ skills. I would suggest researching your courses, but lets be honest none of you really know exactly what you want. And if you think that you do, you certainly won't want those same things in a few years time. So i suggest you all go to bbqs, the beach and drink.

Just giving my opinion anyway. :yep:
Reply 6
Enjoy yourself over all of these things :p: personal statement is easy!
Wow. You've just told me what I have heard no less than dozens of times before. Thankyou deeply. :huff:
Reply 8
Olivia_Lightbulb
Wow. You've just told me what I have heard no less than dozens of times before. Thankyou deeply. :huff:

And you are probably going to be like many and not follow the advice :p:
It's nice that your're trying to be nice though :smile:

I'm scared to start my PS
loads of people from other schools already have and I just don't want to face the thing of such great importance to my next oct-march :frown:
I wish I knew this when I was in year 12 :s-smilie:
Reply 11
laurenl93
It's nice that your're trying to be nice though :smile:

I'm scared to start my PS
loads of people from other schools already have and I just don't want to face the thing of such great importance to my next oct-march :frown:

Better to get it out the way now, than to confront it in the middle of your A2s and AS resits :yep:
Reply 12
I knew this (kind of) in year 12... and I didn't listen. Actually, it wasn't until the beginning of year 13 I actually bothered to choose my course! I think this is great if people would listen... But it's like 'start revision from the first week of year 12' and yet the majority are still cramming by their last exam! :smile:
Reply 13
This thread is ********.
You're young, go out and enjoy yourselves. Have raging houseparties and have unprotected sex. Experiment in drugs and stay up barbeque'ing roadkill until 6am. Don't do any ******** reading or 'preparing' for year 13 because it's really not worth it. By all means, get started on your coursework, but you're main priority this summer should be getting as ****** up as possible, and getting in as many clubs (as you're underage) as possible.
Reply 14
d0mz
This thread is ********.
You're young, go out and enjoy yourselves. Have raging houseparties and have unprotected sex. Experiment in drugs and stay up barbeque'ing roadkill until 6am. Don't do any ******** reading or 'preparing' for year 13 because it's really not worth it. By all means, get started on your coursework, but you're main priority this summer should be getting as ****** up as possible, and getting in as many clubs (as you're underage) as possible.

:awesome:

Latest