The Student Room Group

Should I learn French or Japanese?

Poll

What language should I learn?

I get to take a language class this year with my degree and I can actually start next week or in September. I like each language equally as much (and the textbooks cost the same :ninja:), so any reasons as to which one to study would be nice. I studied French at school and I knew enough to comprehend a periodical or do touristy stuff, but a lot of it leaked out of my brain. Japanese would be completely new.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're equally as happy to learn either, I would take Japanese because finding French courses is a lot easier than finding Japanese courses.
Reply 2
Japanese, its just awesome.
Reply 3
If I could find a way to learn Japanese with ease I so would. It's uberly cool imo
I guess you ought to weigh up the pros of each...I have got experience in both languages...and given the choice I would rather be competent in Japanese, just through my own hobbies and interests. However I am also interested in French too, and would like to learn both to a high level eventually...

That said, if you are thinking in terms of employability, I might hazard at saying go for french.
Reply 5
Having learnt both over the past year I'd say Japanese was a lot more fun, particularly if you have a visual memory :smile:
Reply 6
IMO Japanese is the most beautiful and elegent language that i have ever had the grace to listen too. Once you start listening to it you can't stop!

If you are seriously considering learning Japanese though, it takes a lot of time and patience to reach a level were you could call yourself proficient. It is deffiently worth it, it is as hash007 says it is
just awesome

One piece of advice for learning japanese, Japanese culture is central to their language - never forget that - just rememember that and you will eventually become fluent, with time of course :P

I wish you well in your learnings :smile:
Reply 7
Not really worried about employability, tbh. I'm studying science and these are two of the 5 recommended for to me if I were to go into science.

You guys are making the case for Japanese, tbh. If it becomes a solid choice, I think I will start on the 13th. If people start swaying me the other way before then, I'll just wait a while.
Reply 8
I would say Japanese cause it's awesome, and you could strat to understand anime ^^
But French would probably 10x more useful, isn't it the most widely spoken language or something?
Reply 9
Freud
Having learnt both over the past year I'd say Japanese was a lot more fun, particularly if you have a visual memory :smile:

I don't know what type I have. :o: If were talking about what type of learner I am, I'm a Kinesthetic learner. So I don't know if that would help with anything,
Reply 10
Definitely pick up Japanese. Japan is always first to bring new high-tech gadgets to the world, there is a high demand for Far-east asian speakers, and it won't just feel like you learnt a language; you get engrossed into the culture and tradition as well.
Reply 11
Mm_Minty
I would say Japanese cause it's awesome, and you could strat to understand anime ^^
But French would probably 10x more useful, isn't it the most widely spoken language or something?

I don't like anime :eek: or graphic novels. Except Spirited Away and Lupin III. :cool:

I nearly put that as a con in my mental list.
vander Beth
I get to take a language class this year with my degree and I can actually start next week or in September. I like each language equally as much (and the textbooks cost the same :ninja:), so any reasons as to which one to study would be nice. I studied French at school and I knew enough to comprehend a periodical or do touristy stuff, but a lot of it leaked out of my brain. Japanese would be completely new.

OOOH LA LA AH SO.....I've learnt both; French I did up to A-level and been teaching myself Japanese in my spare time albeit not so much these days but get a chance to practise when I visit family in Japan and with Japanese friends.

Depends on what you really want to get out of it. Out of the two French is certainly much easier to learn bearing in mind you have all the different characters to comprehend in Japanese and you've already had some experience in French which is an advantage. Do you envisage a career in France or in a Frensh-speaking country or perhaps working in Japan? Both are an advantage in working in the IB sector.

Also would you want to travel a lot to practise your skills? France is obviously cheaper to get to than Japan.

Tokyo is a bloody awesome place to visit though.
Reply 13
I'd say Japanese is the better option. The rarer the skill the more valuable it is to have.
Reply 14
Learn both! Then you can be a beret wearing, fish-eating, garlic smelling ninja.

Spoiler

vander Beth

French is a Roman Language so it will be easier to learn

Also

Japan as a country is declining so dont expect huge job opportunities there

French is good, many developing countries speak french and who know in the future there economy may grow and then it will create demand for jobs
Reply 16
I want to learn Japanese :frown:
Reply 17
vander Beth
I don't like anime :eek: or graphic novels. Except Spirited Away and Lupin III. :cool:

I nearly put that as a con in my mental list.

you have le folié!!!!!!!
It depends how committed you are to it, if you're treating it just as a casual language class, not really planning on doing much work outside the class, basically just to "flirt" with the language just for a year/semester then you'd probably get more out of doing French. Like you'd be a better standard by the end of it, as East Asian languages take 3 times longer to learn, apparently.

If you are genuinely serious about learning whichever, just go for the one you feel most drawn to! As someone who's doing Japanese at uni, I can tell you it's quite a rewarding language to learn, but wayyyyy more difficult than any language I've learnt before. I think when considering whether you want to learn Japanese, you've got to think about whether or not you're prepared to learn Kanji. If you don't know what those are, they are Chinese symbols used in Japanese writing - you'll need to learn about 2000 of them. For me they're definitely the most frustrating aspect of Japanese, like, I'd say my Japanese is pretty good, in terms of speaking and listening but if I open e.g. yahoo.co.jp, it's like looking at a ******* brick wall! I actually quite enjoy learning them, but it is an arduous task - and bringing back what I said before about how comitted you are to the language - if you don't practise reading and writing Japanese enough you will end up forgetting loads of Kanji (I'm constantly forgetting them).

HOWEVER, Japanese does have its easy bits. Haha, I don't know how to put this, but Japanese has very few sounds compared to some other languages. Personally, when learning a new language I find the vowel sounds hard to pronounce, but Japanese it's straight forward - a, e, i, o, u. Compared to French especially that is relevant, as they have some weird sounds it's difficult to pronounce properly as a native English speaker. Also relevant is that Japanese is very easy to "listen" to; it's quite staccato so you can pick out sounds and words easily, wheras in French, even though I've been learning that since god knows when, I hear French it can just be like "blublublublublu" and it's like whattt are you saying man.

ALSO, a lot more people speak English in France than in Japan. In fact, the level of English in Japan is supposedly very poor (never been but that's what I've heard from various sources). So, that's worth thinking about too.

Moral of the story: Just go for the one you want to learn but be aware that Japanese is effort.

edit: Also, when you tell people you're learning Japanese they are like "oh my GOD man that is SO INTERESTING" but if you tell someone you're learning French, it's a bit like "Oh."
Comments here seem to be massively underestimating the difficulty of Japanese. I'd pick French, particularly if you haven't really studied languages before. The grammar isn't too difficult, you'll have the benefit of a familiar alphabet, reasonably easy intonation and tone, and a wealth of cognates. Add to this the much greater availability of learning resources, the higher concentration of speakers in the UK, and the ease and lower cost of travelling there, seems like a no brainer.
Japanese is a beautiful language, but the chances of you sticking with it are significantly smaller, since it would require so much time, and so much more effort for smaller returns, particularly if you're not familiar with the best auto-didactic methods for you.

Have a poke round here though - the forum especially is superb : http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/index.html

Latest

Trending

Trending