The Student Room Group

Chemistry with Business Management.

Yo, well I'm sort of thinking of doing a degree in this, could someone tell me the jobs that I would be looking at after graduating and the salaries,

thanks
Reply 1
plz help
Reply 2
Well the only person I know who did this went to work for Deutcher Bank bank office.

Its not so easy to stay in Chemistry with that degree though.
Reply 3
Quady
Well the only person I know who did this went to work for Deutcher Bank bank office.

Its not so easy to stay in Chemistry with that degree though.

How comes? why is it not easy? hm
Reply 4
King05
How comes? why is it not easy? hm

Because its not often done as a masters so with Business displacing some chemistry you're not in as strong a position when applying against straight chemistry grads.

Its doable, just not as easy.
Reply 5
Quady
Because its not often done as a masters so with Business displacing some chemistry you're not in as strong a position when applying against straight chemistry grads.

Its doable, just not as easy.

I am thinking of changing from MChem to the above course actually. I am almost certain that I do not want to go into a straight chemistry career (R &D and the like) so I did think it might be a good option, as I enjoy chemistry but want to go into business. I have heard some negative things about it from Chemboy and the like...where did your friend do his ?
Reply 6
Dnator
I am thinking of changing from MChem to the above course actually. I am almost certain that I do not want to go into a straight chemistry career (R &D and the like) so I did think it might be a good option, as I enjoy chemistry but want to go into business. I have heard some negative things about it from Chemboy and the like...where did your friend do his ?

Bath. The key to their success was doing a placement year, then got an internship at DB.

I think its a good degree to do if you want to get into business, Chemistry is well regarded, coupled with some business knowledge I think its a good route. With Warwick I think you'd be onto a winner.

But I think it limits the chemistry side.
Reply 7
Quady
Bath. The key to their success was doing a placement year, then got an internship at DB.

I think its a good degree to do if you want to get into business, Chemistry is well regarded, coupled with some business knowledge I think its a good route. With Warwick I think you'd be onto a winner.

But I think it limits the chemistry side.

I think I am just trying to work out if it shuts more doors than it opens :holmes: , though it is nice to hear of someone who had some success with it.
Thanks for the reply, will rep tomorow
Reply 8
Dnator
I think I am just trying to work out if it shuts more doors than it opens :holmes: , though it is nice to hear of someone who had some success with it.
Thanks for the reply, will rep tomorow

It depends if they are doors you think you ever want to open. If not then its fine.

Personally, I didn't want to do research chemistry if I could find a better alternative, which I worked out early on into the third year of the MChem. I applied to other types of jobs with a PhD being the fall back position. Luckily I got the last job I was still in the running for.

Having some business understanding (above GCSE!) would certainly have helped, but I have no idea which direction would have been better. The comfort of being able to get on a PhD pretty easily was nice had I not got this job, then again I might have found a job more easily with business modules. Impossible to say.
Waste of time, neither fish nor fowl. If you want a career in chem then a pure chem degree is better, if you want a career in corporate then a pure business degree is better. Chemical and technical businesses don't give a crap about chemists with a bit of business management, and other businesses don't give a crap about chemistry. If you aren't considering the possibility of using your degree then I suggest you don't bother with chemistry as it will just make your life hell for the next 3 years.

To be honest I think that any reasonably smart person could learn enough about business administration in their own time to improve their business knowledge enough to impress with a technical degree.
Reply 10
ChemistBoy
Waste of time, neither fish nor fowl. If you want a career in chem then a pure chem degree is better, if you want a career in corporate then a pure business degree is better. Chemical and technical businesses don't give a crap about chemists with a bit of business management, and other businesses don't give a crap about chemistry. If you aren't considering the possibility of using your degree then I suggest you don't bother with chemistry as it will just make your life hell for the next 3 years.

To be honest I think that any reasonably smart person could learn enough about business administration in their own time to improve their business knowledge enough to impress with a technical degree.

Agreed ish. But for someone who want to 'change codes' half way though the lie of the land is a bit different. Surely your advise wouldn't be 'jack it in and start again'?

Personnally I think some employers would take some merit a chemistry background with business. I think many chemistry businesses woulod be interested in that more than straight business. There are many business grads around but not many who know what they are selling.
Reply 12
Quady

techies with MBAs are awful for everyone, people who just before graduating are more useful (I'm not in that catergory) as are techies who never try and flip.

Quite, but most senior managers in the engineering and chemical industry have technical backgrounds and MBAs. That describes most of the UK board of my company.
Reply 14
Original post by ChemistBoy

Well after having done 3 years of chemistry and management, I can say this is sound advice. I have managed to secure a job with Deloitte, but I am pretty sure I could have done that anyway if I did straight chemistry. By second and third year I could really notice that I was doing less chemistry as labs and exams began to rely more and more on subjects I haven't covered in as much detail as my peers. I end up not even going to my business lectures as I view them as a waste of time because chemistry is so much more difficult (though often more enjoyable). Anyway, if I could go back to myself 3 years ago I would have just stayed on the straight chem ...
TL;DR - decided to read some old posts and saw you were right :smile:
Original post by Dnator
Well after having done 3 years of chemistry and management, I can say this is sound advice. I have managed to secure a job with Deloitte, but I am pretty sure I could have done that anyway if I did straight chemistry. By second and third year I could really notice that I was doing less chemistry as labs and exams began to rely more and more on subjects I haven't covered in as much detail as my peers. I end up not even going to my business lectures as I view them as a waste of time because chemistry is so much more difficult (though often more enjoyable). Anyway, if I could go back to myself 3 years ago I would have just stayed on the straight chem ...
TL;DR - decided to read some old posts and saw you were right :smile:

Thanks for the feedback on this. Hopefully this thread will be of use to people currently applying through UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending